New to Disney World resorts - how to choose?

Tony the Tigger

Don’t underestimate how much a 10 year old will love looking out the window and seeing giraffe, identifying other animals, etc.

I think you made the right choice!

correcaminos

Now I'm starting to doubt myself. I booked AKL last night for the last three nights of our trip, but I'm wondering if BC, YC or BW would be better since they're walking distance from Epcot and DS. (is that right?) We will spend one day at AK as well, so i dunno...
AKL is my 10 yo son's favorite resort (along with Polynesian and Old Key West). I think it does have a lot for kids that age. BC, BW & YC are great resorts though and we like the area. You really cannot go wrong with any of them.

21stamps

Thanks for your input! Yes, we are staying the first two nights at WL, not Fort Wilderness. It looks so gorgeous. I can't wait.

I will look into the other three. The Beach Club is really beautiful. It keeps drawing my attention. I wanted to make sure it has enough Disney-esque qualities to appeal to a 10-year-old boy, though. It looks more adult-like.

Check out the Boardwalk Inn and show photos to your son. I know some people have a fear of clowns, but my kiddo is requesting the Boardwalk clown pool.
I haven’t stayed at Yacht Club, Beach Club, or BWI since before he was born, but I loved all 3. YC and BWI being my top 2.

Another option is the Polynesian or Grand Floridian. I think both would be a lot of fun for a 10 year old boy. You can probably get a decent discount on a standard room. Transportation from either of these resorts is super easy. Biggest selling point- watching the electrical water pageant and fireworks while swimming., and seeing the castle, Space Mountain, etc, and hearing all of the sights every morning. :)

My recommendations are based on the assumption that you will be spending time at the resort. If you’re not spending time at the pool or resort, then I’d change my advice to POFQ.

21stamps

Okay, I picked my second resort thanks to everyone's help. Our first two nights will be at the Wilderness Lodge, as planned, and then our final three nights, after the business segment of my trip, will be at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. I opted for the cheapest room but was happy that it was only $297 a night before taxes. That felt like a decent deal.
Now I'm starting to doubt myself. I booked AKL last night for the last three nights of our trip, but I'm wondering if BC, YC or BW would be better since they're walking distance from Epcot and DS. (is that right?) We will spend one day at AK as well, so i dunno...
Oops, I posted before reading the rest of the thread.

I’d ask your son. Show him photos of all 3, tell him about the walking distance, and let him make the call. It will take the decision making out of your hands.

I would vote for an Epcot resort, especially since the beginning of the trip is at WL. But, I have never been on property at AKL. I know it’s popular on this site, but the lack of convenience always makes me choose something else. That said, it’s still on my to-do list for someday..

Epcotfan21

Okay, I picked my second resort thanks to everyone's help. Our first two nights will be at the Wilderness Lodge, as planned, and then our final three nights, after the business segment of my trip, will be at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. I opted for the cheapest room but was happy that it was only $297 a night before taxes. That felt like a decent deal.
Any deluxe under $300 a night is a great deal.
You won't be disappointed with AKL, but part of why I enjoy BC, YC and Boardwalk is the ease of getting to Epcot and HS. When we go to Disney, I'm a big proponent of maximizing our time and staying at one of the Epcot Resorts certainly helps with that.

GoofZ

Any deluxe under $300 a night is a great deal.

You won't be disappointed with AKL, but part of why I enjoy BC, YC and Boardwalk is the ease of getting to Epcot and HS. When we go to Disney, I'm a big proponent of maximizing our time and staying at one of the Epcot Resorts certainly helps with that.

Agreed you can't overestimate how nice it is to be able to walk out of either the Beach Club or the Boardwalk and be at Epcot in such a short time. Though like everyone else has said, AK Lodge is very beautiful and has its own unique perks.

Dutch Inn '76

I agree with those above that say show him pictures and let him pick - but understand that Boardwalk, YC & BC are walking distance to two parks, and AKL is walking distance to nothing. It's off by itself. Also, the interior design of AKL & WL are somewhat similar. The other three resorts are different.

Basically, you have to pick between animals out the window (maybe) vs. walking distance to Epcot & HS.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom