New to Disney World resorts - how to choose?

tazmad

Original Poster
I've been to Disneyland many times, but this is my first time to Disney World. I'm traveling with my husband and our 10-year-old son. This is also his first visit to Disney World.

I need help figuring out where to stay. I'm willing to spend up to $450 a night on our hotel, but less is good if a hotel will be enjoyable. We are interested in sticking to Disney-owned properties. We are traveling in early June.

The first two nights I've booked a room with a king bed and a bunk bed at the Wilderness Resort. I have a work conference to attend, so we will change our hotel to my company-paid hotel (the Hyatt Regency Orlando) for the next four nights. Then we have three nights left. I'm trying to decide which hotel to book for those final three nights.

Our plans are to visit Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios our first two days, and then Animal Kingdom and Epcot on our final three days. We will also be at Universal on one of those final three days. And on some of the in-between days. We are getting five-day park hopper passes for both Universal and Disney so we can move around.

I'm looking at Coronado Springs and Animal Kingdom Lodge the most, and also considering the BoardWalk Inn or the Beach Club. I see we can even get the Grand Floridian for $471, so not too far off our max budget allotment.

Any thoughts? Thanks...

Last edited:

Epcotfan21

I've been to Disneyland many times, but this is my first time to DisneyWorld. I'm traveling with my husband and our 10-year-old son. This is also his first visit to DisneyWorld.

I need help figuring out where to stay. I'm willing to spend up to $450 a night on our hotel, but less is good if a hotel will be enjoyable. We are interested in sticking to Disney-owned properties. We are traveling in early June.

The first two nights I've booked a room with a king bed and a bunk bed at the Wilderness Resort. I have a work conference to attend, so we will change our hotel to my company-paid hotel (the Hyatt Regency Orlando) for the next four nights. Then we have three nights left. I'm trying to decide which hotel to book for those final three nights.

Our plans are to visit Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios our first two days, and then Animal Kingdom and Epcot on our final three days. We will also be at Universal on one of those final three days. And on some of the in-between days. We are getting five-day park hopper passes for both Universal and Disney so we can move around.

I'm looking at Coronado Springs and Animal Kingdom Lodge the most, and also considering the BoardWalk Inn or the Beach Club. I see we can even get the Grand Floridian for $471, so not too far off our max budget allotment.

Any thoughts? Thanks...
If you're spending you're final 3 days at Epcot and AK, I definitely think AKL, Boardwalk, Beach or Yacht should be your choices and IMO you can't go wrong with either of them. I prefer the Epcot Resorts because I feel like there is always something to do and enjoy the nightlife/entertainment at the Boardwalk. Additionally, when you throw in all the great dining options that those resorts provide (even including Swan and Dolphin), you'll be extremely satisfied.

tazmad

Original Poster
If you're spending you're final 3 days at Epcot and AK, I definitely think AKL, Boardwalk, Beach or Yacht should be your choices and IMO you can't go wrong with either of them. I prefer the Epcot Resorts because I feel like there is always something to do and enjoy the nightlife/entertainment at the Boardwalk. Additionally, when you throw in all the great dining options that those resorts provide (even including Swan and Dolphin), you'll be extremely satisfied.
Thanks for the input! I'm still trying to flesh out exactly where we will spend our final three days. Probably one will be at Universal, and I see that there is an extra hour on the Friday we have, for Magic Kingdom, so we have to take advantage of that (or do we? Is that a true benefit?)

Epcotfan21

Thanks for the input! I'm still trying to flesh out exactly where we will spend our final three days. Probably one will be at Universal, and I see that there is an extra hour on the Friday we have, for Magic Kingdom, so we have to take advantage of that (or do we? Is that a true benefit?)
It depends. Some guests swear by extra magic hours, but others feel like it drives more people to the park and thus makes it more crowded and pointless.

Early June might be nice since the majority of schools across the nation should still be in session, so you might luck out crowd wise. Check the crowd calendars on touringplans.com to get an idea of what to expect and what days to visit what parks.

Dutch Inn '76

I assume you're talking about Wilderness Lodge (not Fort Wilderness) for your first leg. WL is a GREAT resort. You'll love it. You can ride a boat to the Magic Kingdom.

WL is in the Magic Kingdom area. If you're staying there your first few days, then in your situation I'd recommend staying in the Epcot/HS area for the last leg of the trip. That means either Boardwalk, Yacht or Beach Club. These are some of my favorite resorts on property, as you can walk to all the great dining in the World Showcase at Epcot (what truly separates WDW from DL) and you can walk to Hollywood Studios.

Some folks loooove the Animal Kingdom Lodge (and it is nice), but I'm not a fan because it's not near ANY resort. ...not even Animal Kingdom. You have to ride the bus everywhere.

Another thing to consider is the Swan or Dolphin. They're in the same area as the other three resorts, with a bit longer walk - but they're cheaper. The Swan & Dolphin are not Disney resorts, but they are obviously on property. If you want to see characters everywhere and get the full Disney experience, forget these resorts; there's none of that. On the other hand, you might have had enough "magic" by then. ;)

tazmad

Original Poster
I assume you're talking about Wilderness Lodge (not Fort Wilderness) for your first leg. WL is a GREAT resort. You'll love it. You can ride a boat to the Magic Kingdom.

WL is in the Magic Kingdom area. If you're staying there your first few days, then in your situation I'd recommend staying in the Epcot/HS area for the last leg of the trip. That means either Boardwalk, Yacht or Beach Club. These are some of my favorite resorts on property, as you can walk to all the great dining in the World Showcase at Epcot (what truly separates WDW from DL) and you can walk to Hollywood Studios.

Some folks loooove the Animal Kingdom Lodge (and it is nice), but I'm not a fan because it's not near ANY resort. ...not even Animal Kingdom. You have to ride the bus everywhere.

Another thing to consider is the Swan or Dolphin. They're in the same area as the other three resorts, with a bit longer walk - but they're cheaper. The Swan & Dolphin are not Disney resorts, but they are obviously on property. If you want to see characters everywhere and get the full Disney experience, forget these resorts; there's none of that. On the other hand, you might have had enough "magic" by then. ;)

Thanks for your input! Yes, we are staying the first two nights at WL, not Fort Wilderness. It looks so gorgeous. I can't wait.

I will look into the other three. The Beach Club is really beautiful. It keeps drawing my attention. I wanted to make sure it has enough Disney-esque qualities to appeal to a 10-year-old boy, though. It looks more adult-like.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I've been to Disneyland many times, but this is my first time to DisneyWorld. I'm traveling with my husband and our 10-year-old son. This is also his first visit to DisneyWorld.

Any thoughts? Thanks...
Disney World, with a space. Or Walt Disney World. Not DisneyWorld.

Welcome to the board. :cool:

Animal Kingdom Lodge is the best hotel on property. Lots of people complain that it's far from Magic Kingdom, but if you're not going to Magic Kingdom those days anyways, there's literally no downside. Don't pay for a savanna view room. Pay for a standard view, but then request "kudu trail" or "giraffe trail" when you do online check-in. You're likely to end up with a partial savanna view that might be somewhat obstructed by a pole or something like that, but definitely worth the savings.

tazmad

Original Poster
Disney World, with a space. Or Walt Disney World. Not DisneyWorld.

Welcome to the board. :cool:

Animal Kingdom Lodge is the best hotel on property. Lots of people complain that it's far from Magic Kingdom, but if you're not going to Magic Kingdom those days anyways, there's literally no downside. Don't pay for a savanna view room. Pay for a standard view, but then request "kudu trail" or "giraffe trail" when you do online check-in. You're likely to end up with a partial savanna view that might be somewhat obstructed by a pole or something like that, but definitely worth the savings.

fixed!!! thanks! :)

Dutch Inn '76

Thanks for your input! Yes, we are staying the first two nights at WL, not Fort Wilderness. It looks so gorgeous. I can't wait.

I will look into the other three. The Beach Club is really beautiful. It keeps drawing my attention. I wanted to make sure it has enough Disney-esque qualities to appeal to a 10-year-old boy, though. It looks more adult-like.

I like Boardwalk for that VERY reason. I think BC & YC are a little sterile. The pool at BC & YC is excellent - that's what makes them "better" than Boardwalk in many folks' minds; but I just love the theming at Boardwalk. The pool there is neato too!

Dutch Inn '76

More of my opinion: :)

You don't need a 5 day hopper at Universal. Two days is plenty - more than plenty. Three if you want to go reaaaaaaaally sloooooow. The only caveat to that is if you intend to go to their new water park, Cabana Bay.

If you end up doing WL & one of the Epcot resorts, think about doing MK & AK on your first leg, then Epcot & HS on your second leg - since you'll be able to walk to both from your resort.

tazmad

Original Poster

You don't need a 5 day hopper at Universal. Two days is plenty - more than plenty. Three if you want to go reaaaaaaaally sloooooow. The only caveat to that is if you intend to go to their new water park, Cabana Bay.

If you end up doing WL & one of the Epcot resorts, think about doing MK & AK on your first leg, then Epcot & HS on your second leg - since you'll be able to walk to both from your resort.

Yeah, I agree, we won't use all five days at Universal. It's just that we need the park hopper to do the Hogwarts train, and it's $170 for the one-day hopper and $248 for the two-day two-park hopper. I can get the five-day 2-park hopper for only $253.

Last edited:

tazmad

Original Poster
Okay, I picked my second resort thanks to everyone's help. Our first two nights will be at the Wilderness Lodge, as planned, and then our final three nights, after the business segment of my trip, will be at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. I opted for the cheapest room but was happy that it was only $297 a night before taxes. That felt like a decent deal.

epcotisbest

Cabana Bay is not a water park.

KaliSplash

You will love WL. I'd go with either the Beach Club or the Yacht Club for the end of your trip. They are similar, so whichever one offers you the best room at the best price. You will enjoy greatly! Have fun!

tazmad

Original Poster
Now I'm starting to doubt myself. I booked AKL last night for the last three nights of our trip, but I'm wondering if BC, YC or BW would be better since they're walking distance from Epcot and DS. (is that right?) We will spend one day at AK as well, so i dunno...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom