New to DAS..

Goofyernmost

How am I not focused on the "actual issue"? What is unrelated?
Because this person was asking for advice about his/her personal issue, not every possible scenario that might be thought up. The actual issue with this thread is how to advise the OP, not what other problems might or might not be beneficial for a DAS. When it is necessary it is necessary, in this case I am trying to show an experience that serves to keep the system as simple as possible for this individual which is the actual issue of this thread.

StarWarsGirl

Because this person was asking for advice about his/her personal issue, not every possible scenario that might be thought up. The actual issue with this thread is how to advise the OP, not what other problems might or might not be beneficial for a DAS. When it is necessary it is necessary, in this case I am trying to show an experience that serves to keep the system as simple as possible for this individual which is the actual issue of this thread.
Which in this case, OP has an issue that goes beyond a mobility issue into a neurological condition that might make it hard for her to wait in line. Hence why people are straight up offering advice on how the DAS works since that's what was asked.

Hockey89

Frankly, you are not in charge and people were giving great advice. Get over it

Goofyernmost

Frankly, you are not in charge and people were giving great advice. Get over it
So you're in charge now? OK, I didn't get that memo. If you think it is a good plan to give advice the isn't relevant to the individual I guess you are much more perceptive then I. So the new rules are that if my opinion doesn't agree with yours you don't think it to be worthwhile. And I should get over it. Or if someone asks me why I made a specific statement I shouldn't answer them. Does that about sum it up? And yes they were giving good advice, I was trying to express based on actual experience, what we were asked initially. Silly me for thinking that it might be more helpful them coming up with every scenario that doesn't apply in this case and confusing the person even more. Yup, I guess that is the tendency of a leader, so I will yield to you.

Hockey89

So you're in charge now? OK, I didn't get that memo. If you think it is a good plan to give advice the isn't relevant to the individual I guess you are much more perceptive then I. So the new rules are that if my opinion doesn't agree with yours you don't think it to be worthwhile. And I should get over it. Or if someone asks me why I made a specific statement I shouldn't answer them. Does that about sum it up? And yes they were giving good advice, I was trying to express based on actual experience, what we were asked initially. Silly me for thinking that it might be more helpful them coming up with every scenario that doesn't apply in this case and confusing the person even more. Yup, I guess that is the tendency of a leader, so I will yield to you.
You are the one telling people what they can and can’t say. People were giving their thoughts an as always you have to pretend you are in charge of the board. Get over your “deep” thoughts and stop thinking you can tell people what advise they can give. Got it?

kpettengill

Hello, I recently was diagnosed with ALS. We have a trip scheduled for June. Barring a miracle or inclusion in a research study this may be my last visit. I hope to still be ambulatory but lines maybe a problem. I've never used or asked for a DAS. Can you all tell me how it works? Thank you!
My husband also has ALS and we are going in May. I called to find out more about DAS and it was a nightmare. I was on hold from 1030am-7:30pm (9 hours)! Their systems could not hold the amount of people waiting to be prescreened and would kick us off line. Finally reaching a cast member at 7:30pm we were kicked off again and the member waited for us to reboot saying, "we usually wait 5 min but I saw you had been waiting all day, so I decided to give 10 mins." (This was telling that it was in fact their systems if they have to wait for people to get back on.) We were then told that DAS was for cognitive issues only. ALL day to be told something that could of been read over a letter.
In short- I'm not sure DAS will help but because we also are trying to live each day to the fullest my advice would be to go and enjoy seeing the joy in the ones you are with, enjoy the skies, enjoy the smells- ! Don't let rides at Disney dictate this adventure! Keep living YOUR BEST LIFE!

NelleBelle

My husband also has ALS and we are going in May. I called to find out more about DAS and it was a nightmare. I was on hold from 1030am-7:30pm (9 hours)! Their systems could not hold the amount of people waiting to be prescreened and would kick us off line. Finally reaching a cast member at 7:30pm we were kicked off again and the member waited for us to reboot saying, "we usually wait 5 min but I saw you had been waiting all day, so I decided to give 10 mins." (This was telling that it was in fact their systems if they have to wait for people to get back on.) We were then told that DAS was for cognitive issues only. ALL day to be told something that could of been read over a letter.
In short- I'm not sure DAS will help but because we also are trying to live each day to the fullest my advice would be to go and enjoy seeing the joy in the ones you are with, enjoy the skies, enjoy the smells- ! Don't let rides at Disney dictate this adventure! Keep living YOUR BEST LIFE!
The new changes to DAS are, IMO, disgusting! I'm sure they're terrible=on-a-good-day system was even more overloaded with people calling because of this new DAS rollout. I think it's totally discriminatory that the only people who now qualify for DAS are those with "developmental/cognitive" issues. There are a ton of people that have utilized DAS for a disability that wasn't purely solved with a mobility device and who had other physical/medical disabilities. I plan to email the disability services and guest services a letter stating how incredibly disappointing this new change is. I am so sorry about your experience. Some advice I've been reading elsewhere have said to go to guest services when you're in the park and let them know that how they have this set-up is not working for you and your DH? I have no idea how this will work. Maybe give it a shot closer to your trip (you can register up to 2 days prior) and see what others experiences are.

Hockey89

The new changes to DAS are, IMO, disgusting! I'm sure they're terrible=on-a-good-day system was even more overloaded with people calling because of this new DAS rollout. I think it's totally discriminatory that the only people who now qualify for DAS are those with "developmental/cognitive" issues. There are a ton of people that have utilized DAS for a disability that wasn't purely solved with a mobility device and who had other physical/medical disabilities. I plan to email the disability services and guest services a letter stating how incredibly disappointing this new change is. I am so sorry about your experience. Some advice I've been reading elsewhere have said to go to guest services when you're in the park and let them know that how they have this set-up is not working for you and your DH? I have no idea how this will work. Maybe give it a shot closer to your trip (you can register up to 2 days prior) and see what others experiences are.
The new system is needed because it has been destroyed by people completely screwing the system. I could give three examples of friends that use the system every single year and it is laughable they can use it. Times that by 10000 and thats the problem. Of course, it will be impacting people that should be able to use it.....

DisneyFanatic12

Of course, it will be impacting people that should be able to use it.....
That’s my biggest issue with the change. Yea, it was HEAVILY abused, especially by CMs and CPs (almost every one I knew abused DAS), and while this will help the issue of this abuse, it will negatively impact those who need it. This might improve the experience of using DAS, but the only ones that can enjoy this improved experience is those who have a small range of disabilities and take the time jumping through all the hurdles that will likely be in place.

NickMaio

The new system is needed because it has been destroyed by people completely screwing the system. I could give three examples of friends that use the system every single year and it is laughable they can use it. Times that by 10000 and thats the problem. Of course, it will be impacting people that should be able to use it.....
Honestly....I think that's a bull WDW excuse.
You know because you talk to people.

They are pushing people to use genie plus instead. To generate more cash.

How could they possibly know that people are abusing the system they created? How.....
Yes more people are using it. We just found out about it a few years ago and I have been going for almost 40 years.

Are people abusing it, sure. People abuse anything that gives them any benefit. How much, wdw could never actually figure this out.

Almost 400 Millon are in THE US alone.

As a teacher for almost 2 decades. I have seen a huge increase in the amount of children with various issues that would constitute a DAS pass.

It's just another greasy WDW cash grab.
Its pathetic really that they would limit it to a specific condition,usually geared towards kids. Eliminating mostly adults who were eligible for DAS in the past. Who will probably pay for genie if they go to the parks.

Last edited:

Hockey89

Honestly....I think that's a bull WDW excuse.
You know because you talk to people.

They are pushing people to use genie plus instead. To generate more cash.

How could they possibly know that people are abusing the system they created? How.....
Yes more people are using it. We just found out about it a few years ago and I have been going for almost 40 years.

Are people abusing it, sure. People abuse anything that gives them any benefit. How much, wdw could never actually figure this out.

Almost 400 Millon are in THE US alone.

As a teacher for almost 2 decades. I have seen a huge increase in the amount of children with various issues that would constitute a DAS pass.

It's just another greasy WDW cash grab.
It’s pathetic really that they would limit it to a specific condition,usually geared towards kids. Eliminating mostly adults who were eligible for DAS in the past. Who will probably pay for genie if they go to the parks.
Yeah, this is pure BS. One friend has a kid with a deformed arm. He’s 12. Still plays hockey. Soccer. Runs track. He uses it. Do you think that’s what it is for. I would bet anything at least 50/60% of the users are just like that. Another friends daughter has some learning issues. She’s perfectly fine, great student ect. Uses it. If you don’t think it’s being abused and you just want to scream MONEY GRAB that’s fine.

Smiley/OCD

Yeah, this is pure BS. One friend has a kid with a deformed arm. He’s 12. Still plays hockey. Soccer. Runs track. He uses it. Do you think that’s what it is for. I would bet anything at least 50/60% of the users are just like that. Another friends daughter has some learning issues. She’s perfectly fine, great student ect. Uses it. If you don’t think it’s being abused and you just want to scream MONEY GRAB that’s fine.
I think you are both right…yes, there are more kids being diagnosed with developmental issues, I graduated HS in 1982, and never heard the term autism while in school. Living in NJ, I now hear it multiple times per day.
On the flip side, due to social media, more guests were discovering the DAS “benefit”.
I put the word benefit in quotations because where truly disabled guests found that the DAS would be useful to them, there are also the wonderful folks that ALWAYS find a way to game the system. It’s a double edged sword.

Mark Dunne

I absolutely agree anyone who has a serious disability should get help for sure, but i see mobility scooters queuing for the Motor coaches out side resorts with say up to 10 people inc friends, then once there on the bus, then they get out the chair and sit on a seat, then all the family has seats, That annoys me for sure, should be whoever is in the chair stays in the chair, is accompanied by 1 other to help them, then the rest of the family queue like the rest of us, I'm sorry if I've posted this incorrectly, this is my take on it , we actually spoke to a lady at the airport, said her son had a knee problem, she was well pleased with herself that they bounced the queue, this was the same kid sitting in the airport with both knees bent on the chairs with not signs of knee issues at all, then walked off to grab a coffee, give an inch, people will take a mile , i actually believe if you have serious disability, your ticket should be free, now that would be nice .

Smiley/OCD

I absolutely agree anyone who has a serious disability should get help for sure, but i see mobility scooters queuing for the Motor coaches out side resorts with say up to 10 people inc friends, then once there on the bus, then they get out the chair and sit on a seat, then all the family has seats, That annoys me for sure, should be whoever is in the chair stays in the chair, is accompanied by 1 other to help them, then the rest of the family queue like the rest of us, I'm sorry if I've posted this incorrectly, this is my take on it , we actually spoke to a lady at the airport, said her son had a knee problem, she was well pleased with herself that they bounced the queue, this was the same kid sitting in the airport with both knees bent on the chairs with not signs of knee issues at all, then walked off to grab a coffee, give an inch, people will take a mile , i actually believe if you have serious disability, your ticket should be free, now that would be nice .
There was a time that bus drivers were instructed to make guests that were able to transfer to a regular seat. I used to argue with the drivers on a regular basis that I felt guilty enough taking 3 seats by folding the seat up, just buckle me in and I’m fine. Again, I think the DAS holder and 3 family members are fine. I would even be more than willing to split up and meet up at the park…ENTITLEMENT…another word that wasn’t in our vocabulary decades ago…

NickMaio

Please read my post again - - - - it is being abused. People are not what they used to be - - - everything is abused today.

My point is HOW can WDW come up with any real data to prove the extent that they THINK it's being abused?
You know the people you think are abusing it - - however......did you loose your arm? Do you know what life is like without an arm? Just because someone can do something <track, whatever...> does not mean that they can wait in a slowly, hot moving line for 1-2 hours....... That should be up to a medical professional to decide because this is a medical condition.

One thing is constant - - - people are quick to judge others, especially when they have no idea what their lives are like!

Many children today can not even watch a full YouTube video anymore - - - they are clicking to the next one in under a minute. ADHD or not - - - - - simply put patience is a huge virtue.
Limiting DAS to a specific condition and threatening people with life times bans is completely shameful.
WDW should pony up and hire some medical people to decide legitimacy for DAS usage.
Or leave it to the doctors that know these children and adults better than anyone - their doctors to provide

By not doing this it pushes millions into using Genie+ garbage. - - - simply because they can not wait in a 1-2-3 hour line.
Every year WDW sheds a little of what the company used to be. It's a complicated money sucking monster now.
Draining your pocket at every turn.........The parks division is their bread and butter now that they completely messed up their billion dollar movie division, with crappy formulaic films that come out every 6 months.
They are tapping us dry at every turn. Genie - LL - special seating for fireworks - - - ticket events that close the park at 6pm almost every other day......<Aug - to Dec>

WDW, if you are listening - - - - go back to your roots and show your bread and butter customers that you actually appreciate their hard earned money. Instead of making us feel like we are the lucky ones to pay - pay and pay again to use your wonderful parks!

NickMaio

I thought legally people could not sit in the mobility scooter on busses - - -safety issue.

NickMaio

Do you know what his knee problem was......?
Perhaps he was medicated / pain meds during the time you saw him.
You can only take so much meds in a given day - time frame.

Example - - - I obliterated my ACL 10 years ago - - - - There would be periods in the day that I would be an agony, waiting for the time I could re-medicate.
People looking at me would assume everything was fine and I was ok - Then I would not be.

DAS has always been a HOT topic on this forum. WDW magic, I have found people to be very judgmental and assumptive. Compared to another Dis forum group.
Lots of heated opinions here.

My overall point is - - You really can't judge a book by its cover.
Also, I believe that WDW is pushing folks into Genie/ even scaring those on the fence, used to be DAS eligible from not even calling anymore and just buying Genie+.

NickMaio

This new DAS thing is going to get messy. I feel sorry for folks that legitimately need it (and got it before) will now be denied.

We all must remember, we are not in control and Disney will do what they will do and we must just take it.
Yes - - - but we have the right to voice our concerns as paying customers, because there are definitely flaws in this new DAS system.
Especially for those who have booked and paid for a future trip, when they were DAS previously.
This is a big change, emotionally and financially.....Genie can get expensive.

Mark Dunne

I thought legally people could not sit in the mobility scooter on busses - - -safety issue.
Yeah thats kinda crazy, but its ok to have 30 or more people swinging on the straps and bars getting back to the resort cos you cant get a seat , I'm not sure safety comes into it to be honest , but get what your saying 😉 i actually think the words from the monorail should be played on the buses, Hold on to the hand rails, stay clear of the doors, and to finish, hold on for dear life !! i love the community on here, and i wasn't trying to upset people with my comments, my mum actually taught kids with disabilities years ago, and they are the loveliest souls you could wish to meet, i just wish people wouldn't use Disney as an easy target, as they are so kind to us all, be true to yourself and others , because there really are people with the most difficult of disabilities, and they should be given 1st class treatment , and a free pass 😍

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom