New Ticket Security Measures Being Tested

jaklgreen

Maybe we have been lucky, but in the 20 years that we have been going, none of my family has had an issue with the biometrics. Not even the kids when they were little. I always tell them to just put their finger lightly on the pad and not to press down. I would not have a problem with them taking my picture. I like that they do that on the cruise, not only for the photos but for my kids safety.

wdw71fan

Considering WDW is private property, they can ask you to submit to a polygraph and drug screening to gain access if they really wanted.. If you don't consent, then they refuse you entry into private property.. It's that simple.. You have no legal 'right' to be on Disney property.. Hence the term 'Guest'.

TimothyG

Our local Six Flags has been adding a picture to their APs for over a decade already. No reason Disney couldn't do the same, and I certainly have no problem with it. Companies have been placing pictures on badges for decades as well. Why would you be creeped out? It just ensures that your AP cannot be used by someone else. What is wrong with that?

Yeah, I know others do it and it's somewhat irrational. I think the advent of better facial recognition software and potential for tracking has something to do with my concern. You can at least opt-out of MM+ and use cash if you don't feel like being tracked. My feeling is kind of a slippery slope argument I guess. I just hope guests can still opt out of it, if desired.

maxime29

Premium Member
I messed up the fingerprint scan maybe twice in two 8 day trips with MDE around. Otherwise it's relatively easy for me. I know a couple in our party had issues only because I felt they were a bit impatient and didn't keep their finger placed fully.

In all honesty, the band is what we had the most issues with (trying to make better contact with the center of the receiver).

dstrawn9889

Yeah, I know others do it and it's somewhat irrational. I think the advent of better facial recognition software and potential for tracking has something to do with my concern. You can at least opt-out of MM+ and use cash if you don't feel like being tracked. My feeling is kind of a slippery slope argument I guess. I just hope guests can still opt out of it, if desired.
they dont have to take a picture at the turnstile, like was said before they can follow you around the park from central on the monitors, with or without the MM+ antenna pinging away. FDOT knows who you are running down the turnpike, and lets not forget the within a meter accurate gps locator you are carrying in your pocket at all times. worrying about a picture taken? least of the worries of a conspiracy theorist

TimothyG

they dont have to take a picture at the turnstile, like was said before they can follow you around the park from central on the monitors, with or without the MM+ antenna pinging away. FDOT knows who you are running down the turnpike, and lets not forget the within a meter accurate gps locator you are carrying in your pocket at all times. worrying about a picture taken? least of the worries of a conspiracy theorist

All very true. Like I said, it's probably irrational. I'm not really worried about it. After all, I use MM+ extensively and give them all my info. I just like it to be a choice, which in all honestly it probably still is anyway.

ILOVEDISNEY

Pics were required on paper tickets years ago. Why not just put a barcode tattoo on your wrist?! Better yet, the sign of The Beast on your forehead.

Last edited:

hokielutz

This would be a bit of a bandwidth hog at part entries, wouldn't it? Might it slow down the overall processing of scanning cards etc?

dstrawn9889

i need to ask if they can just use a NFC transponder embedded in the skin already... you know the ones that link to medical history?

DisneyCane

With the new boogieman "Terror In The Malls" i would not be surprised to see Disney quietly install inline 'biometric enhancers' which do a full AFIS match on fingerprints and send some people for a photo comparison yet it passes along the usual Disney biometrics to Disney's systems.

And of course it will be a classified 'black box' made by one of the usual suspects Lockheed-Martin, BAE, Boeing, General Dynamics or Harris, The only people to figure that out will be some bright tech who says 'why is gear built by defense contractors being installed at WDW ????'

Plausible deniability and intelligence gathering in one neat little package. And you don't even need to buy a tinfoil hat to put this in the realm of possibilities.

Just imagine TSA at the malls making sure you are 'safe to shop', And follow on with all the major retail chains filing for bankruptcy leaving Amazon and other online retailers the only winners in that war.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Ben Franklin

ILOVEDISNEY

I could care less about my pic being taken. What I do care about is all these so-called "Service Dogs" that seem to be in every park now on a daily basis and have no photo ID!

Tink28

This will hopefully work for my Mum, she has arthritis in her fingers and has never been able to put her finger flat on the scans so they never work

CDavid

Considering WDW is private property, they can ask you to submit to a polygraph and drug screening to gain access if they really wanted.. If you don't consent, then they refuse you entry into private property.. It's that simple.. You have no legal 'right' to be on Disney property.. Hence the term 'Guest'.

This isn't an issue of legal rights, but rather one of guest perception and 'customer service'. You can't really institute overly restrictive admission policies (or too invasive tracking, etc.) which frustrate or anger a large segment of your guests if you want to keep them happy - and spending - on your property.

Not that merely having your picture on your pass/ticket should upset anyone, of course. Concerns over a hassle at the turnstiles and other issues are perhaps legitimate, but not necessarily a privacy matter.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Try explaining that to the irrational who believe that it is a grave injustice and one of the truest violations of their privacy. Before you do you may want to get them some medication. It might make it easier.
For some, like myself, I dont feel violated or thats it a grave injustice to have my picture taken and linked with my account info. Its the possibility of what can be done with all the information if the wrong people get their hands on it.

If anybody thinks that Disneys system is 100% safe and couldnt be compromised, then they are more ignorant than the "irrational" people you speak of. And ya, I know, So many other businesses require you to give them the same information. That doesnt make it any more acceptable to me and I try hard to limit what I have to give a company. If they want my DL number, fine, but theyre not getting my social, or vice versa. Ive had plenty of times when signing up for a service and I refused to give them both and when they say "its required", I simply say thanks for your time, but I wont be needing your service if you require both,... and then, miraculously, they find a way to sign me up without using my social. It may require a deposit or something but thats better than knowing my info is in one more system that could potentially be hacked at any moment.

ninjaprincesst

I had 3 failed days out of 7 last December - I don't think it was due to "guest ignorance" as I used the same finger each day of the week!

It cant all be user error, my daughter and I have accidently got or magicbands mixed up and scanned in on each others just fine while my mother always has problems.

Ryan120420

Here's some easy options to starting phasing in to save us all time!

MyDisneyExperience app users should be able to take a selfie and link it to their ticket through the app. Once linked, it can only be changed by Guest Services. This solves a majority of issues, provides photos for everyone to CMs, and prevents guests from changing the image and robbing Disney of their precious over rated ticket prices. If I can depost checks to my bank using photos from my phone taken at home, I should be able to knock this issue out to streamline my vacation.

The same app, when used with iPhone 6 & 6Plus should allow users to pre-calculate their finger print signature and link that as well. Using the same process as at the gate, but performed on the iPhone before arriving, will again speed access and leverage technology in your pocket.

Another option would be to use register the iPhone the app is on with your MyDisneyExperience bands. If an issue ever arises, "tap to pay" without paying. This would simply match the ID of the device with the wristband being scanned.

Done and done. You're welcome for the simple solution Disney. Now just let us in so we can take advantage of these great new prices!

Back in 2011, in an effort to eliminate the need for Annual Pass processing centers, Disneyland tried this with Annual Pass holders. Needless to say, it didn't work. People didn't follow the guidelines for photos on the website. There were also instances of fraud, were one person would go to the park and buy a new AP, then after that first day, pass the AP off to a friend/family member who would upload their photo to the original AP holder account.

It was a mess, and only lasted 2 months before Disney put the AP photos in the hands of Photopass.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom