New thrill rides

MrNonacho

Premium Member
For those of you comparing WDW to Six Flags: have you BEEN to a Six Flags lately? Disney is so far away from being a Six Flags it's almost laughable. I can spend hours in any of the WDW parks and hardly ride a thing, yet still feel like I had a good time there. I can't say the same thing for Six Flags, where the atmosphere is just horrible.

As far as theming goes, any of the Florida parks blow away anything in a Six Flags. Their idea of theming is a cardboard cutout of Superman at the entrance to a rusting, dilapidated room that they call a queue. I think even something that is hardly themed at Disney, such as the M:S exit hallway, is better than what you'd find elsewhere. At least it's a nice, clean hallway without obnoxious music playing.

One can argue that there are too many thrill rides, or that some times of the year provide less value due to closed attractions or shorter hours. That's fine with me. I might even slightly agree. But to say WDW is Six Flags Orlando is almost insulting.

imagineer99

Originally posted by Michael72688
I still do get this. Disney is building rides that the majority of people want, I dont see how this is a problem

It disappoints me that the average person currently would rather ride a 400 ft. roller coaster instead of a ride full of heart and imagination....

I think it is an aftereffect of a world that is slowly becoming less compassionate, lazy, and too fast paced.

Michael72688

yes it maybe it is becoming that way, but if Disney doesnt get with the trend it wont do well, so they dont have a choice, and last time I check all of Disney's thrill attractions have heart in them

SirGoofy

I like the new thrill rides, but I like the classics way better. I haven't ridden MS, but Horizons was one of my favorites. I preffer a rich story rather than a simulation to Mars. I also believe Disney's AAs seperate them from the pack. Have you ever been on the Jurassic Park ride at IOA? The dinos move like a rusted C3PO with a circuit problem.

andre85

I still do get this. Disney is building rides that the majority of people want, I dont see how this is a problem

Bingo. Like I said in another thread, the majority of the people here merely represent the vocal minority.

Dizknee_Phreek

Originally posted by imagineer99
It disappoints me that the average person currently would rather ride a 400 ft. roller coaster instead of a ride full of heart and imagination....

I think it is an aftereffect of a world that is slowly becoming less compassionate, lazy, and too fast paced.

i totally agree with you! and it disappoints me as well. it also concerns me, because i fear what the future holds for the AA attractions (except, of course, the ones in classic attractions) as an artist, i want my imagination to be challenged and provoked...thrill rides, regardless of how fun they may be, just don't do this. only dark rides can fill that want.
thrill rides provide only a temporary high...they're a drug of sorts, if you will. dark rides, and the like, provide a message or a story that stays with the people who experience them. granted, ToT provided a lasting story...but look how long ago it was built. imo, it was the last thrill ride with a good plot that Disney has built. the ones since then have lacked in one way or another. again, my opinion.

cloudboy

I can spend hours in any of the WDW parks and hardly ride a thing, yet still feel like I had a good time there. I can't say the same thing for Six Flags, where the atmosphere is just horrible.

That is exactly it. There Is something different about Disney. But over the last 10 or so years that I have been there, this difference is getting smaller, and smaller, and smaller... while the other parks (think Universal and Los Vegas) are getting closer to Disney. As mentioned above, walking into Adventureland used to feel like you were somewhere else, the food, the music, the shopping - it was more than just a ride place. Now it is just home to a couple of rides. It's not the rides that make Disney, it's the Park that makes Disney.

As an aside, no, I don't think it is what the majority wants, and here is why. Attendance has been dropping. I know, 9/11 and all that, but to be perfectly honest I don't think that is it - there are other oprions now, and people are taking a break from Disney big time. Just going to a Disney Store used to be something special.

I keep bringing this up, but there was a time when going to Epcot was something special - people would take their kids out of school and not feel guilty about it because at least they were experiencing something new or maybe learning something.

There is a big lack of balance at the parks, and they are loosing their mass appeal. Disney is in trouble right now and they are loosing their sense of direction. I am not worried about what Disney is now - I am wworried about where it is headed.

raven

Originally posted by Dizknee_Phreek
i don't really think it's that we don't like them. personally, i really like the thrill rides. but i think it's because Walt made dark rides what they are today.

Agreed. :wave:

All4Gemini

Disney is far from Six Flags. Like Nonacho said, the atmosphere, the theming, the quality of rides is so much more on Disney's side. And not every new ride is necessarily a high thrill ride, sure the big ones coming out are thrills-with the exception of Stitch-but just think if they build the Muppet Movie Ride! It would be a classic dark ride with-based on descriptions ive read-tremendous effects and hilarity. A stroke of genious. So there is still hope for the classic dark ride fans. I myself being one of them, but I still enjoy the new thrill rides as well. They should all just be well balanced.

Mission: SPACE

My views on the issue of thrill rides is that we don't need too many, but you can't just stick with dark rides and expect crowds to flood through the gates. You've got to find a proper balance between the two. This trend is apparent in Disney's current and future plans. Mission: SPACE, obviously a thrill attraction, opened at the same time as Phil, a more 'traditional' attraction. Stitch, a mixture of thrill and 'traditional' attractions, will no doubt go over well (with the average guest who's not raving over the loss of AE :lookaroun :rolleyes: ); Everest, more on the thrill side, still has a mixture of the traditional attraction, starting off relatively calm. Soarin is not a thrill, and the Stunt show will be thrilling to watch, but no physical thrill will be there.

So, if you look at these attractions, you can see Disney is intertwining the two as well as sticking with the traditional while introducing thrill. Mission: SPACE, arguably the most intense Disney attraction on the globe, has just opened, now they are in a sense digressing to the more average intensity attractions.

You've gotta trust them... Like it or not, they have plenty of statistics to back them up. You might be pro-thrills or anti-thrills, but the general public, the majority, wants to see both.

Dizknee_Phreek

Originally posted by cloudboy
As an aside, no, I don't think it is what the majority wants, and here is why. Attendance has been dropping. I know, 9/11 and all that, but to be perfectly honest I don't think that is it - there are other oprions now, and people are taking a break from Disney big time. Just going to a Disney Store used to be something special.

I keep bringing this up, but there was a time when going to Epcot was something special - people would take their kids out of school and not feel guilty about it because at least they were experiencing something new or maybe learning something.

Again, i agree totally!
i do think 9/11 had an affect...i don't think there's any doubt in that by anyone. but i really don't think it would still be affecting the attendence. i think between the movies and the parks, people are kind of losing faith in Disney and quality entertainment.

but, ya know, all this talk about majorities and minorities...just makes me wonder. who here knows the majority of the human race? or even the majority of Americans? i'm just wondering cause, ya know, i'd like to know them too.
but apart from being a complete smart a--, my point is, how do any of us know what the majority wants, or who they are? and if 'they' are the majority, and 'we' are the minority, where the heck are 'they'? why aren't they on these boards chatting away with the rest of us? just curious, cause, like i said, i'd like to meet them :animwink:

Originally posted by Dizknee_Phreek
Again, i agree totally!
i do think 9/11 had an affect...i don't think there's any doubt in that by anyone. but i really don't think it would still be affecting the attendence. i think between the movies and the parks, people are kind of losing faith in Disney and quality entertainment.

but, ya know, all this talk about majorities and minorities...just makes me wonder. who here knows the majority of the human race? or even the majority of Americans? i'm just wondering cause, ya know, i'd like to know them too.
but apart from being a complete smart a--, my point is, how do any of us know what the majority wants, or who they are? and if 'they' are the majority, and 'we' are the minority, where the heck are 'they'? why aren't they on these boards chatting away with the rest of us? just curious, cause, like i said, i'd like to meet them :animwink:

The majority opinion of WDW visitors is apparent in what style rides Disney is constructing. Have you ever noticed those nice people in white shirts at the front of the park as you walk in or leave. Those are the ones you get to thank for Disney's statistics. They ask the questions... guests give the answers. The majority opinion of customer is what any business who expects to stay in business is going to support. The majority of guests aren't Disneyphiles... that's why you don't see them on here. There are many, many more of the 'common man' in those parks each day than those like us.

cloudboy

Have you ever noticed those nice people in white shirts at the front of the park as you walk in or leave. Those are the ones you get to thank for Disney's statistics.

Huh? Disney only markets to people in white T-s?

Confused. Very very confused. Help!

Huh? Disney only markets to people in white T-Shirts?

Confused. Very very confused. Help!

Sorry... that was a confusing statement. The people who do the surveys at the front of the park are always in white shirts.

cloudboy

I have heard mention of them here, but I can't say that I have ever seen them or ben approached by them myself. Next time I am there perhaps I should go seek one out.

This trend is apparent in Disney's current and future plans.

I agree that a balance is needed. My feeling is that it is getting lost. I will admit that Pooh was a new dark ride. Philharmagic really is just one of the rotating shows that happen. I can't say anything about Stitch until that opens.

If you look at the thrill rides, though (particularly Epcot) it's not just building a thrill ride, it's taking away a general ride. Test Track took away World of Motion, Mission: Space took away Horizons. And they were talking about replacing Spaceship Earth with a thrill ride. That would take away all the large non-thrill ride attractions in Future World. Why not build those in an under-performing pavilion? And Horizons could have been updated (I am leaving the building debate alone.) That balance is getting thrown out of wack.

The other thing is why are pouring all their attention into just the rides? Mission: Space - cool facade (although little details keep it from being great). But what about the rest of the area? The little details in between need the attention.

Michael72688

I have heard mention of them here, but I can't say that I have ever seen them or ben approached by them myself. Next time I am there perhaps I should go seek one out.

I agree that a balance is needed. My feeling is that it is getting lost. I will admit that Pooh was a new dark ride. Philharmagic really is just one of the rotating shows that happen. I can't say anything about Stitch until that opens.

If you look at the thrill rides, though (particularly Epcot) it's not just building a thrill ride, it's taking away a general ride. Test Track took away World of Motion, Mission: Space took away Horizons. And they were talking about replacing Spaceship Earth with a thrill ride. That would take away all the large non-thrill ride attractions in Future World. Why not build those in an under-performing pavilion? And Horizons could have been updated (I am leaving the building debate alone.) That balance is getting thrown out of wack.

The other thing is why are pouring all their attention into just the rides? Mission: Space - cool facade (although little details keep it from being great). But what about the rest of the area? The little details in between need the attention.

Disney got rid of those rides cause they sucked

Dizknee_Phreek

exactly! rides are nice...but not ALL the time...it's the details that makes Disney great. they definately need to start paying more attention to the details!

Dizknee_Phreek

Disney got rid of those rides cause they sucked

ya know what...i'm just about sick of your seemingly self-centerness. it's perfectly fine that you state your opinion, but maybe you should try stating them in a manner that wouldn't offend others. so you didn't like those attractions...fine! but lots of other people did. i'm not trying to tell you what to do, but maybe you should try respecting other people a little more. Disney didn't get rid of those attractions because they 'sucked'. i'm sure there were several reasons as to why they decided those attractions needed to be replaced. in the case of Horizons, from what i've heard, there was a problem with the land it was built on...a sink hole or something. anyway, that doesn't matter. what matters is that i think we've been pretty darn respectful of your opinions here, but i don't think you've returned that respect in the least. if you don't like something, that's fine...but don't make your opinion seem like solid fact. if it's your opinion, please try saying "In my opinion...." ...it sound a lot more polite. thanks! :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom