New three-course selection menu coming to California Grill

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They could have always set a minimum charge.

But they could make the bean counters even happier by gutting and pairing back the menu and standardizing with mediocre options which were still profitable at the set price point established. (LOL like it's going to stay at $89. I'd expect it go over $100 in line with the rest of the signature price-fixes.)

To all those who like the new menu, It's nice, but certainly dumbed down and standardized from what was there before.

The ironic thing is they did this to ensure higher guest spending. I'm actually spending less there now per visit than I would have if they still had the old menu.

Also pro-tip, if you sit at the bar, you can order off the bar menu and get things ala-cart. Also if you ask nicely, you can still get certain items off the original menu.
…I mean…I’m not confused what they’re doing here

jaxonp

Cali Grill has never been consistent just like the rest of Disney restaurants. It saddens me to see how many people are one and done because they’ve had mediocre experiences. The problem is that sometimes it’s incredible and about as good as you’ll find out and about. Once you’ve experienced the good Cali grill then you get it but if you are unlucky to experience the mediocre side of Cali grill your first time then yea it sucks and I get you.

More times than not it’s great prob 70% the rest is a mixed bag from medium to down right awful.

The Ravioli missing from the menu was a cardinal sin

UNCgolf

Cali Grill has never been consistent just like the rest of Disney restaurants. It saddens me to see how many people are one and done because they’ve had mediocre experiences. The problem is that sometimes it’s incredible and about as good as you’ll find out and about. Once you’ve experienced the good Cali grill then you get it but if you are unlucky to experience the mediocre side of Cali grill your first time then yea it sucks and I get you.

More times than not it’s great prob 70% the rest is a mixed bag from medium to down right awful.

It wasn't bad when I was there -- it just wasn't nearly as good as Flying Fish, which was consistently excellent (no clue if it still is). We didn't make dinner reservations very often because we generally preferred to just go eat a late dinner at Disney Springs (several QS options there are better than most Disney TS anyways) after leaving the parks, so it didn't make much sense to choose Cali Grill over Flying Fish.

Drdcm

I’ve been 5 times. The first time was amazing. The second time was also pretty good but we got a crappy table - which I’m not really upset about. The last three times were mediocre at best. We stopped going because of the inconsistency. The one thing I might say in their defense is that the menu changes seasonally and when it’s winter they lean really heavily into root vegetables - not my thing. So maybe that’s why the latter visits weren’t as good for me.

A weird thing that happened during our last visit was that there was a large group of CMs initially at the bar and then dining. The bartender/waiters ignored us to go talk to their friends. I suspect this might have been a one off thing though.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It wasn't bad when I was there -- it just wasn't nearly as good as Flying Fish, which was consistently excellent (no clue if it still is). We didn't make dinner reservations very often because we generally preferred to just go eat a late dinner at Disney Springs (several QS options there are better than most Disney TS anyways) after leaving the parks, so it didn't make much sense to choose Cali Grill over Flying Fish.
Funny thing is we went to flying fish - hadn’t been in years - a couple days before California grill and it was fantastic in comparison. I’m a jiko kinda guy…but I’ll be back to FF soon. If Disney lets me “back”

Drdcm

Funny thing is we went to flying fish - hadn’t been in years - a couple days before California grill and it was fantastic in comparison. I’m a jiko kinda guy…but I’ll be back to FF soon. If Disney lets me “back”
Have you tried Il Mulino? I’ve never been disappointed with it. Capa sounds great as well, will have to try that next

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Have you tried Il Mulino? I’ve never been disappointed with it. Capa sounds great as well, will have to try that next
Il mulino has several locations. I’ve been to the one in Atlantic City a couple of times. It’s good…I’m saturated with Italian though

Have not been to capa yet. But I’ll get there. I’ve probably had 500?, 750? 1000+? Meals on wdw property?

…so if you ask “have you?” The answer is likely “often” 😎

jaxonp

Well your Jiko exec chef went to Cali Grill a few years ago until recently - they’ve both been without an executive chef for quite some time now.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
My three guesses were (1) "temporary" prix fixe, (2) priced higher than Royal Table, and (3) homages to shuttered Contemporary restaurants. 2/3 ain't bad. As was mentioned it was never going to be temporary with people holding tables splitting one app and that's it. I blame Disney for many things but it's difficult to run restaurants when people arent ordering. Your favorite home town place might close with such patterns. Yes, Disney loses some money/guest as some spend less but giving that up was a no brained to make more on everyone else going through.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
Which is simply something you see in France quite often.
Right, and using similar thoughts (frequency seeing) is why I don't think we'll ever see a California Grill per person minimum to spend as desired, as much sense as it sounds. It's super uncommon outside of a few niche examples so there'd likely be more guest pushback compared to a more familiar prix fixe.

It'd be great if they allowed substitutions, like swapping out an app for an extra dessert or vice versa. It wouldn't help not wanting an entree but it'd be *something*

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
To support your point, Chefs de France and La Creperie both have a prix fixe option next to a la carte options.
There are others as well. La hacienda has some

But it’s typically a “here’s a splurge” setup…

Not “this is all you’re getting and expect a $500 for 4”

This is very tacky…very bobs

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Well your Jiko exec chef went to Cali Grill a few years ago until recently - they’ve both been without an executive chef for quite some time now.
That’s all dining plan fallout…

When you mandate that there is no supply variance…you kill the concept of an executive chef. It’s a culinary art…you don’t mandate crayons bought in bulk only.

Disney is notorious for mislabeling things to charge but cutting the knees out behind the wall…hiding behind what legacy WDI built often times.

Concierge being an old one…”signature dining” becoming a newer one.

A great example is the destruction of artists point for nonsense.

Chi84

Premium Member
1674190613814.jpeg

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That kid will never have any recollection of that…
But mom and dad can remember paying $20 bucks per person at that table for the pic.

If that’s worth it - no problem. Not my job to decide.

My reference is they took one of the more unique food and wine menus out of play for ever for buffet fair…
I was talking to the manager a week (days actually) before the announcement of closure and conversion and he made no bones about the reason: revenue per seat yield.
Strategic planning gone awry.

Want to hear why they schlepped Empty rooms at $180 a point across the courtyard too?

A lot of dirty little secrets hidden under that geyser

Management mistakes and misdirection.

Chi84

Premium Member
We found that Storybook Dining at Artist’s Point was the exception to the rule regarding prix fixe dining at WDW. The food was outstanding - the only place on property that was able to cook salmon to the correct temperature.

I liked the fact that appetizers and desserts were served family style. My grandson loved the “meatball” that was the hunter’s pie.

We went to Artist’s Point a few times before the change and it was fine but there was really no energy in the room or anything exciting about it. It was half-filled at best when we were there. Excellent food, but we get that where we live. I think this was a good move for Disney, Grumpy et al notwithstanding.

Honestly it was the one dinner there where we didn’t think twice about the price! And my son got the best picture of my granddaughter and Snow White. (Apologies to the Disney detractors).

Sorry to get off-topic. I’m still not happy about the fixed price trend going on at Cali Grill, Space 220 and other restaurants on site.

Thanks for the love @Minthorne !!

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom