New three-course selection menu coming to California Grill

jaxonp

Because it’s a ripoff…and they're admitting it

Deduct yourself from the “bottomline”

I shouldn’t be surprised…this all goes back to dining plan…and the customer base is horrible and determining what good food is and what they should be paying
I mean this in response to the people who would go up and order desert or a drink while sitting there for hours. They had to do something. Those tables are extremely valuable. For all the money grabs, this one actually makes business sense for everyone. I’m just surprised they haven’t pushed the price higher than what it is tbh

jaxonp

This really ticks me off. While my parents have raved about their recent visits and don't mind the change, I feared this would be a permanent thing. When visiting California Grill, I don't usually want a traditional three course meal. I'd often order 2-3 appetizers and have several cocktails instead of dessert. My oop costs were usually on par with someone having a more traditional 3-course meal and sometimes higher because of those cocktails. I'd much rather go in there today and order the cascade roll, the short rib wontons, and the duck pizza vs. any of the entrees and desserts. :mad:
I could see how this would be annoying. The apps are delicious there so yea me too

Drdcm

The biggest problem with Prix fixe for me is when your child hits 10.

An adult Prix fixe menu is a HUGE waste when you have a 10 year old.
They usually let us order kids meals at other places if we ask. Has your experience been a hard no with the pre-fixe stuff? Our go to breakfasts are kids meals, but those are quick service so you always pretend it’s for a child in our case.

jaxonp

I would personally prefer a “minimum spend” per guest / per table rather than prix fixe.

It would still be effective at preventing people from only ordering dessert, etc, but without the additional consequences (e.g. forcing people to order an appetizer even if they don’t want one / don’t like any of the options).
I wonder if this was looked at??

Hockey89

I mean this in response to the people who would go up and order desert or a drink while sitting there for hours. They had to do something. Those tables are extremely valuable. For all the money grabs, this one actually makes business sense for everyone. I’m just surprised they haven’t pushed the price higher than what it is tbh
That problem was easy to solve.... Don't allow it.... It can be tough but have a manager do it....

Hockey89

Daily confrontation isn’t the way and that would happening… people ruined this, not Disney.
Where did I say Disney ruined it? I didn't.... Clearly, the loser just a desert people did but that doesn't change the fact that Cal Grill is much worse off now... Disney took the simple way out and made another place worse..... Capa here i come.....

jaxonp

I personally love the 50th set menu. I've tried everything on it, everything is top notch, and for the price, considering the quality and portion sizes, by Disney standards it's a great deal (with AP discount). The wine pairings are good, too, which is unusual for Californian wines. Looking forward to something new to try!
I would agree. Disney could be serving the commissary up there but they are clearly not even though some of you think they do. You want to talk about expensive, look at Monsieur Paul right now.

jaxonp

Where did I say Disney ruined it? I didn't.... Clearly, the loser just a desert people did but that doesn't change the fact that Cal Grill is much worse off now... Disney took the simple way out and made another place worse..... Capa here i come.....

Ok- enjoy Capa 🙏🏼

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I hear that…there needs to be a better way…

What weird is California grille existed for about 25 years just fine…and they had fireworks then too.

Maybe it’s adults and not being able to handle fireworks?
Or perhaps if they had built a ride or two ever 10 years or so maybe the entire focus won’t be on fireworks for hours at a clip?

Who knows…I just work here 😎

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
There's a sort of workaround if you bag a lounge table rather than a restaurant ADR. Many of the 50th menu items are on the lounge menu - not all, though.
Right…you have to have a cover story and dive through an open door like James Bond…

Is that really practical? It is if you plan nothing…which Disney makes almost impossible as they herd the entire customer population around.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
On second thought…I thought table minimum was a bad idea…cause it would be awkward…but how about this:

Two course minimum off a real menu?
App-entree, entree-dessert, app-dessert…

Done.

jaxonp

What weird is California grille existed for about 25 years just fine…and they had fireworks then too.

Or perhaps if they had built a ride or two ever 10 years or so maybe the entire focus won’t be on fireworks for hours at a clip?

Yes but then the internet came along and every guidebook, blog and “influencer” said you had to go to the cali grill to catch the show… problem is, a large percent of Disney guests would never spend $$$$ cali grill bucks for a whole meal so they challenged the status quo and filled a slot where a guest, like me perhaps, really wanted to go up to Cali grill to enjoy Cali Grill and it’s offerings. Instead I, a guest willing to pay the prices for a full meal, drinks desert etc can’t get in because the Smith party of 5 is splitting a cheesecake and ice less waters for the table.

UNCgolf

I've ranted about how awful prix fixe is (there are exceptions, but certainly not at typical Disney restaurants) enough, so I don't go into that again -- I'll just say I'm disappointed to see this continue.

It doesn't really bother me at California Grill, because I didn't think it was very good in the first place and wasn't planning to return, but I expect to see it expanded to more restaurants.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member

They could have always set a minimum charge.

But they could make the bean counters even happier by gutting and pairing back the menu and standardizing with mediocre options which were still profitable at the set price point established. (LOL like it's going to stay at $89. I'd expect it go over $100 in line with the rest of the signature price-fixes.)

To all those who like the new menu, It's nice, but certainly dumbed down and standardized from what was there before.

The ironic thing is they did this to ensure higher guest spending. I'm actually spending less there now per visit than I would have if they still had the old menu.

Also pro-tip, if you sit at the bar, you can order off the bar menu and get things ala-cart. Also if you ask nicely, you can still get certain items off the original menu.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom