New Theme Parks?

JML42691

No, not another 5th gate expansion rumor...NOO:fork:

Disney won't be planning another park for at least the next 10-20 years in my own opinion.

ghost_elias

I agree with everyone else, it's gonna be at a special anniversary for either the Magic Kingdom or Epcot like 50 years of WDW Magic.

Unplugged

The feature ride will be approiately named...Thriller. Which will bring a new meaning to the term "Dark Ride" :p

Followed by the hard ticket (no pun intended) event "Michael's Not So Scary Halloween". :fork:

And let us not forget the recyclability of Peter Pan, Carousels, and the AK Monkeys (though one would have to be renamed "Bubbles"). :lookaroun

ryguy

Truthfully they haven't finished the last two they started (MGM and AK). I would like to see those two projects "finished" before they start building a 5th gate.

AEfx

Truthfully they haven't finished the last two they started (MGM and AK). I would like to see those two projects "finished" before they start building a 5th gate.

"Finished" is in the eyes of the beholder. And, if you are one to quote Walt, the parks will never be "finished".

While AK and especially MGM may not be the most cohesive parks ever, and repeat visitors may find only a few attractions worth repeating, to the Disney target audience (i.e., not us), both MGM and AK are full-day parks. It's just that, in the opinion of many people like us that visit the parks more frequently than most, that there isn't a large amount of attractions that may be considered "classics" to be ridden again and again.

As to a 5th gate, no, not anytime awful soon. They have a good 5-6 years worth of work to do on the existing parks until I think they will be comfortable by that. But the people that say "never"? Nah. We will see one before the close of the NEXT decade (probably only half way through), I'd be willing to bet an awful lot.

AEfx

Patsc85

Followed by the hard ticket (no pun intended) event "Michael's Not So Scary Halloween". :fork:

And let us not forget the recyclability of Peter Pan, Carousels, and the AK Monkeys (though one would have to be renamed "Bubbles"). :lookaroun

Also, one ride which will be similar to ToT. Except in this ride your ride vehicle will be dangled over a balcony to tons of tourists snapping pictures! Alright i'm done....i swear :ROFLOL:

JWG

Wow, 2 5th gate threads on the 1st page. I'm almost sad that the wand debate is quieting down.

We can start some Williamsburg (yeah yeah, not really Williamsburg) and Texas threads, too.

No 5th gate for a decade. Need to finish existing parks:
MGM - Sounds Dangerous, backlot tour, old "production" areas and ABC's building all need something.

Epcot - Imagination needs to be fixed, WoL needs to be demo'd for something new (not conferences), World Showcase needs 1-2 new countries added, Universe needs updating (Bill Nye???)

Animal Kingdom - Beastly Kingdom

MK - 20k attraction space, SM Refurb, CoP closure and new build or Refurb.

ryguy

"Finished" is in the eyes of the beholder. And, if you are one to quote Walt, the parks will never be "finished".

While AK and especially MGM may not be the most cohesive parks ever, and repeat visitors may find only a few attractions worth repeating, to the Disney target audience (i.e., not us), both MGM and AK are full-day parks. It's just that, in the opinion of many people like us that visit the parks more frequently than most, that there isn't a large amount of attractions that may be considered "classics" to be ridden again and again.

As to a 5th gate, no, not anytime awful soon. They have a good 5-6 years worth of work to do on the existing parks until I think they will be comfortable by that. But the people that say "never"? Nah. We will see one before the close of the NEXT decade (probably only half way through), I'd be willing to bet an awful lot.

AEfx
Basically there are just not enough things to do in these two parks. For example, I have little kids, we do MGM and AK in one day, because truthfully there is not much for us to do as a family. I know a lot of families (non Disney freaks :D )who don't even bother with these parks. Most people will feel disappointed leaving these two parks, especially at 70 bucks a day. What I mean by this is that they will leave feeling disappointed for whatever reason:price, lack of rides, quality of the rides, etc... I will say I think Disney has realized this and is working to improve both parks, however right now both are not worth the price of admission for the average guest (which is families with school age children).
MGM and AK biggest problem is the fact they aren't unique. They've been done before by other companies. MK and Epcot are distictive which sticks in peoples minds. I am not giving up hope on these two parks because I do think they have great potential, I just feel they were built is haste without a lot of thought, direction, and commitment to quality.

A fith gate would be a disaster in my mind. Truthfully what would the theme even be?? Besides I don't think the public is crying out we need another Disney theme park. I just don't see it happening anytime soon, which is a good thing.

Kman101

I disagree. Totally.

Animal Kingdom gets a really bad rap. It's a great park with TONS to do. Four fun rides, a Dinoland JUST for kids, two wonderful stage shows, a Pocahontas show for little ones, a bird show, two animal trails, a glorified petting zoo, character greeting trails ...

It's all in the eye of the beholder.

I'll give you MGM though, I've always considered that the "teen and adult" park, because of the thrill rides, although they do have Playhouse Disney on stage and character greetings and the Little Mermaid.

Kman101

I also don't see what a fifth gate would be about ...if anything, Disney needs to focus (which is what they finally seem to be doing) on refurbing their existing parks (Animal Kingdom not included) and using the space there before even thinking of a fifth gate.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
A fith gate would be a disaster in my mind. Truthfully what would the theme even be?? Besides I don't think the public is crying out we need another Disney theme park. I just don't see it happening anytime soon, which is a good thing.

More than likely a clone park. Something along the lines of DisneySea, which I would love to see at WDW.

AEfx

right now both are not worth the price of admission for the average guest (which is families with school age children).

LOL well obviously, the millions and millions of visitors each year disagree with you. Not to mention the fact that very, very few people spend $70 on a one-day ticket as you quoted in your mini-rant (most people pay less than half that). I understand your point that with your family with small children those parks don't do it for you. School-age covers a lot of ground - are you talking up to 18 years old? If so, you would be completely incorrect, but it sounds like you are talking about small children that can't ride the "big rides". Thankfully, Disney World is not designed exclusively around them, or there would be nothing for the rest of America to do. Contrary to popular belief, all of WDW is not there exclusively for parents with small kids.

MGM and AK can both use some new rides and improvements, but there is plenty to fill a day at both parks. If you can't see that, you aren't looking. That may not mean you enjoy everything at both parks, but you can't please everyone all the time.

AEfx

AEfx

More than likely a clone park. Something along the lines of DisneySea, which I would love to see at WDW.

Actually, I would LOVE for Tokyo's Disney Sea to be magically transplanted to Orlando...but I'd hate to see it happen here from the ground up because they'd just screw it up and it would be an inferior version. They simply don't have the money to make one here as great as in Tokyo, and it would always be a disapointment. It would make WDSP look like a quality clone of MGM, in comparison. In short, if they can't do it right (and there is no way financially they would), they shouldn't do that at all.

AEfx

ryguy

LOL well obviously, the millions and millions of visitors each year disagree with you. Not to mention the fact that very, very few people spend $70 on a one-day ticket as you quoted in your mini-rant (most people pay less than half that). I understand your point that with your family with small children those parks don't do it for you. School-age covers a lot of ground - are you talking up to 18 years old? If so, you would be completely incorrect, but it sounds like you are talking about small children that can't ride the "big rides". Thankfully, Disney World is not designed exclusively around them, or there would be nothing for the rest of America to do. Contrary to popular belief, all of WDW is not there exclusively for parents with small kids.

MGM and AK can both use some new rides and improvements, but there is plenty to fill a day at both parks. If you can't see that, you aren't looking. That may not mean you enjoy everything at both parks, but you can't please everyone all the time.

AEfx

I guess my point is that people who are going to WDW aren't going for the thrill rides. Basically they could drive two or three hours and be at a six flags if they want that sort of thing. I would argue a good dark ride one that all segments of the population could enjoy would be better suited for WDW. For example toy story mania and buzz lightyear are winners where as Mission Space is a complete waste because of the intenisity of the ride. I am not saying that they should not build thrill rides but right now the focus should be on more family friendly rides. (Senior friendly too):lol:

One thing I am not sure your accurate about is the one day ticket vs multiday ticket debate. I worked in ticketing back in 2000 and we sold far more one day tickets than multiday tickets. Of course that could have changed in the past seven years but I would bet not. The average guest in 2000 visited parks 2-3 days on there vacation. Thus disney sold multiday tickets starting at 4 days to push people to buy more days. The number one question I had everyday was: Do you sell a one or two day park hopper ticket? Now disney does do this but its really not worth the money you pay for the add ons unless you buy 4 days or more.
The only way AK and MGM are a good value is if you have a multiday ticket where you are paying $40 bucks a day. I would argue that a fair amount of people will feel that those two parks aren't worth the full price of admission. Multiday tickets helps MGM and AK not necessarily MK and Epcot. If there were no multiday tickets what kind of attentance do you think AK and MGM would get?? Truthfully. I know for a fact they would not get the repeat business that MK and EC get. Why is that? Because they lack quality attractions that make people want to ride or visit over and over. The idea is to fill my day with quality attractions not run of the mill ones. The good news it looks like the company realizes this and is going to invest time and money into creating attractions that will increase attendance and repeat visitors. :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom