New Theme Parks?

AEfx

One thing I am not sure your accurate about is the one day ticket vs multiday ticket debate. I worked in ticketing back in 2000 and we sold far more one day tickets than multiday tickets. Of course that could have changed in the past seven years but I would bet not. The average guest in 2000 visited parks 2-3 days on there vacation. Thus disney sold multiday tickets starting at 4 days to push people to buy more days. The number one question I had everyday was: Do you sell a one or two day park hopper ticket? Now disney does do this but its really not worth the money you pay for the add ons unless you buy 4 days or more.

A LOT has changed since then. I'm sure that was the experience back then, but WDW is a much different place due to Magic Your Way. Disney tickets are actually cheaper than they used to be per day. A 7-day ticket can be had for around $200 (without all the options). Disney has implemented an EXTENSIVE program in the past few years (well documented on this board) to encourage people to stay-on site for an entire vacation week.

This includes the Disney's Magical Express service, which whisks guests for free from the airport to the Disney Resort (avoiding Mears or a rental car). In addition to the reduced per-day admission, they added the dining plan as a more affordable option than they used to have (with the "deluxe" packaged). All of this has led to many people not only spending a week at Disney, but also staying on-site for the entire time. Attendance shows this, as WDW keeps increasing every year while the other area parks are stagnant at best in terms of guests.

Very few guests buy a one-day ticket these days. I just think it's unfair to pretend that the majority of guests pay $70 a day when talking about things like this, because the average vacationer does not. SOME do, but by just about all reports the whole "Magic Your Way" promotional push and services roll-out has been a qualified success in keeping those that want a one-day ticket at a minimum.

Regardless, people are going to be of a different opinion about different parks. I think AK really needs another E-ticket, but I just disagree with all the hate MGM gets because some people don't care for the entertainment there, or the thrill rides, etc. There is a lot to that park to experience, and of course we all want more, but some people act as if there is nothing to do there which just isn't my experience. That's because I enjoy the shows and rides there, but I understand that many do not.

AEfx

sskipper2

Just a thought
First Post....posted the same on disboards.com

Been a casual reader of the blogs for a while and this is the one that always draws me back. So feel free to shoot holes in this idea. I work for uncle sam at Patrick Air Force Base (aka Cocoa Beach) zip 32925. This facility as are all DOD installations is reviewed for closure and or re-allignment every few years. I believe 2012 is the next review. Patrick AFB has a runway and both river and beachfrontage. Several miles of both. Disney Sea is brought up often on this board, so here goes. If congress decides to close Patrick AFB would the mouse be intrested? Environmentally there would be challenges. Logistically? Money? The local gov will/would love to fill the place with the mouse if the DOD leaves I am sure. Okay next is the fact that a rumor to this effect has been running around this base for more than a decade. I know Disney once owned beachfront in the Cocoa Beach area, by now I am sure its sold. For those that think this is worth checking into try google earth with the zip code from above to get a good overview of the size of the property and the waterfrontage it has. The rumor also stated that the mouse had actually proposed the idea during one of the reviews of the base.
cool2.gif

And for you monorail fans the large causeway south of the base will be extended to reach I-95 in the near future 07/08. See what cost seventy miles of monorail from Orlando to Disney Sea(aka Patrick AFB) would cost.:ROFLOL:

Remember if Disney can fill the hotels and parks anywhere near capacity they will add more, maybe not now but eventually. They really want our money. Can you imagine what Disney could charge for ocean front hotel rooms attached to a 5th Gate with a 5 mile beach, and perhaps commuter flights from Orlando or directs from Ohare, Atl, JFK, DFW? It would be a seriously large project. Just a thought for the dreamers.:animwink:

Over 40 visits to the World since Dec 1973.

KaliSplash

Welcome to the Boards! I lurked a long time before I joined, too.

My inlaws, just across the lagoon in Cocoa, would go nuts if Disney got even closer! I'm guessing that if Disney had property at Cocoa Beach or thereabout, it ditched it when it decided to build resort at Vero.

But there would be a certain logic to the area. You're right about the cleanup, though, parts of Myrtle Beach Air Force Base are still not being used because of environmnetal concerns. (and yes, they've proposed a theme park there, although not Disney)

Personally, I'm in the crowd that thinks they need to expand AK and Disney MGM (room permitting) before they look to something else.

JML42691

...Personally, I'm in the crowd that thinks they need to expand AK and Disney MGM (room permitting) before they look to something else.
Agreeing with you, they should expand the current parks, but space actually isn't a major issue with MGM, it was designed to allow expansion into the parking lot.

Skipper2

Test

:shrug: Just a test plz disreguard. Cant believe I registered twice, this is what happens when you use a laptop and a desktop at the same time. Both ID's sskipper2 and Skipper2 are mine don't know which I'll use.:hammer: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Peterwhite171

I would only want a DisneySea at WDW if it was up to the standard of the Tokyo Park. Somehow I doubt WDW would have the conviction to invest the capital to make that happen! Also there is a problem, two Disney Sea e-Tickets are already at WDW. Tower of Terror and Indy (Dinosaur at AK same track layout).

Skipper2

With a major job like a Disney Sea park you can expect to see many variations of existing ride technologies employed using different themes. Wouldn't be hard to turn Indy/Dino in a Jules Vern event or a 20K themed ride. With current tech it wouldnt be hard to make a ride vehic seem like a small sub underwater even if it was a dry ride. The ideas in place at sea world and TDSea as well as DLFrance and such get re-themed to fit a new park. After all we seem to easily accept a rollecoaster with different themes in any park. The interactive encounters like Sea World/Discovery Cove, Epcot Living Seas Tank Dive could be put to use in an new park on a larger scale. Not to mention:zipit: DVC could build a ton of time shares on the beach. Surfing classes, boat rentals, parasailing, and of course some POTC themes as well in the new park. Any number of things could happen, if Disney got/gets Patrick AFB in the future. Thier own pier with direct from Disney hotel to ship transfers in 10 minutes. Keeping the Guest completely on property for thier entire stay is still a goal. The variation of hands on sea life encounters matched with beach front hotels, cruise connections, an airfield, golf, marinas, resteraunts, rides and shows in a single location would appeal to the bottom line if the economy has room for it. With the Nemo, POTC, Little Mermaid, and other easily associated themed new rides who knows what the imagineers would be allowed to come up with. Just a future idea anyway. Next shot at closing for Patrcik AB is like 2012 or 2010.

MAGICFLOP

I would think that it will take some time yet for the area to absorb the parks that are here.

Meaning:
The area is expanding with Disney. Everywhere you go they are still putting up sub developments. But the sub developments are not filling as fast.

Now the the WDW complex employs about 60K workers with probably Sea world and Universal grabing about 20k more. These parks require people at minimum wage to exist. If there were not enough workers then hourly rates go up on compitition.

So even if Disney did the research and said: we could build 3 more parks tomorow and have 50k patrons a day at each gate. This area could not supply the low level workers.

Just my opinion:lookaroun

Skipper2

Agreed Magicflop. The Orlando area can't supply the needed numbers at the wage level required. You come over to the coast and you might. If the Air Force leaves or reduces its presence in Brevard County/Cocoa Beach and operates only from Cape Canaveral then the economy in central Brevard around Patrick would be in desperate need of an employer. Currently several thousand work at Patrick AFB. If it closes there will be a general wage decline in the area due to an excess of workers that used to provide service for the base and the surrounding area. Even if the numbers needed to run a Disney Sea Complex were 10K it would be a net gain to the area of several thousand jobs albiet low wage ones. To offset that Brevard has an extremely large retirement populace, and Disney loves to put retirees to work. A large percentage near Patrick would be military retired and are an easy fit into the Disney cast member molds. Again this is just in reference to a long running rumor at Patrick AFB.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom