New theme parks?

paul436

I would definitely like to see a 5th park. I wouldn't necessarily increase my length of stay but choose which parks to visit more often than others. I think Disney has many repeat visitors annually and the ones that I've spoken to are usually drooling with the thought of another park. Of course, those who don't think that there is a need for another park can just choose not to visit a fifth park as if it wasn't there at all.:animwink:

PintoColvig

I would definitely like to see a 5th park. I wouldn't necessarily increase my length of stay but choose which parks to visit more often than others.
Here you reveal a problem with bringing on a 5th park at this time. IMO, a 5th park will just kill MGM. Disney MUST engage in some major rehabs of attractions and, in the case of MGM, Disney needs to bring some major revitalization before a 5th park comes on board. Personally, the frequency of our visits to WDW has increased and already we are favoring the other three parks over MGM for various reasons:
1. Too many shows
2. Not enough rides
3. Backlot Tram Tour is :snore:
4. Animation Tour is embarassing

There are some good things about it (RnRC, ToT, Fantasmic, the Restaurants) but I digress. A 5th park without giving some love to the existing parks would be a stupid, stupid move.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Here you reveal a problem with bringing on a 5th park at this time. IMO, a 5th park will just kill MGM. Disney MUST engage in some major rehabs of attractions and, in the case of MGM, Disney needs to bring some major revitalization before a 5th park comes on board. Personally, the frequency of our visits to WDW has increased and already we are favoring the other three parks over MGM for various reasons:
1. Too many shows
2. Not enough rides
3. Backlot Tram Tour is :snore:
4. Animation Tour is embarassing

There are some good things about it (RnRC, ToT, Fantasmic, the Restaurants) but I digress. A 5th park without giving some love to the existing parks would be a stupid, stupid move.

I agree. Its ashame when one of your best attractions at a themepark is your CMs. Streetmosphere keeps us going back to this park.

tizzo

The sole reason for spending around a Billion
dollars for a new "thrills" park would be to
put a nail in the coffin to the Universal Parks.
It would be designed to deal a serious blow
to the biggest competitor to Walt Disney World.

That is my take...

Someone earlier mentioned overkill. Another nail in Universal's coffin (in addition to all the ones they drove themselves) would be overkill indeed! :lol:

tizzo

Extending the length of vacations is not the only reason why Disney might one day build a fifth park. Consider these possibilities:
  • The success and continued expansion of DVC is creating a new type of clientele at WDW. The current four parks certainly provide so much to see and do that it easily fills up a week's vacation time. However, with the increasing numbers of vacationers who make annual pilgrimages to WDW courtesy of DVC, a fifth park provides more variety and activity that is more beneficial for those repeat visitors.

This last point is a very good one. I'm not that knowledgeable about DVC, but my understanding of it is that it is by nature designed for frequent or regular visitors. I think a timeshare to a specific location like WDW would be far more attractive (at least to me) if it offered the possibility of essentially a different vacation every time.

Tim G

Single biggest reason management wants a 5th gate. That was part of why AK was built and only recently it's starting to be completely necessary. And as attendance grows more, somewhere else for guests to go will become needed.
Management DOES NOT want a 5th gate... :zipit:

tizzo

Single biggest reason management wants a 5th gate. That was part of why AK was built and only recently it's starting to be completely necessary. And as attendance grows more, somewhere else for guests to go will become needed.

Another thing to consider is that recently (in the past 3-4 years) land here has begun to get really expensive. Disney has a lot of undeveloped land (not all of which can be developed, but some can) in central Florida that is appreciating in value. I'm not sure if there are any taxation issues, since they are their own local government. But even without tax issues, in the world of corporate accounting an asset that isn't contributing to the bottom line is more of a problem the more valuable it is. I really don't see Disney ever selling any of their land, but I think the pressure to put more of it to work is going to be increasing as the value increases, especially if attendance numbers continue to grow. Just my $0.02.

PintoColvig

Another thing to consider is that recently (in the past 3-4 years) land here has begun to get really expensive. Disney has a lot of undeveloped land (not all of which can be developed, but some can) in central Florida that is appreciating in value. I'm not sure if there are any taxation issues, since they are their own local government. But even without tax issues, in the world of corporate accounting an asset that isn't contributing to the bottom line is more of a problem the more valuable it is. I really don't see Disney ever selling any of their land, but I think the pressure to put more of it to work is going to be increasing as the value increases, especially if attendance numbers continue to grow. Just my $0.02.
Actually, Disney sold off some land last year....
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=72829

ccmuffin2

Kinda funny reading how Contemorary DVC is going to have a Monorail platfom built for it .... Im looking foward to buying into that future DVC ,but here is why this will never happen . First of all think of the direction of travel of the Monorail that stops a lagoon resorts its clockwise which means you think they are going to build a free standing platform on the inside of the Monorail track ? LOL no way ! You wanna get on the Monorail it may have a raised walkway built to enter into the grand concource lobby and thats it. I will rather instead be looking foward to the 5 min walk to the MK

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom