News New Stroller Size/Wagon Rules and Enforcement - Effective May 1 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Janir

<quote snippage>
When something new comes along and it works well for a lot of people... why fight against it? If we kept using the argument "we didn't need it before" wed get nowhere.
Because while it may work for some people, there are a TON of others it's NOT working for and they paid just as much money to go as the one person. WDW has to balance for everyone as best as they can.

Ricky Spanish

My "special needs" wagon.
image.jpeg

jaklgreen

The only thing I'll add to this discussion is that we couldn't WAIT to be done with strollers at WDW, oh my LORD. The minute our youngest was old enough to go without one (I want to say he was 3-ish? I don't remember anymore...) we were like GOODBYE FOREVER STROLLERS, HOORAY. 😄

Obviously I completely understand that some have legitimate medical reasons for continuing to use them (and of course I've got no issue with that.) Honestly overall it's not even that I have that much of a problem with other people using strollers as much as they do, it's more that I can't imagine wanting to use a stroller longer than you need to, or wanting to use the biggest stroller possible. Dragging them onto the buses, having to constantly park it in the stupid stroller parking lots (and then trying to figure out where the CMs shuffled it to while you were on the ride), trying not to run over other people, the times your preschooler decides to try to bolt from the thing while you're on the move, having to either rent one or haul one from home onto a plane...ugh. It's such a pain in the butt. I suppose people must be doing it to "maximize" their park time, but personally I definitely don't miss our stroller days. The extra storage was kind of nice, but not worth the added hassle to me.

Same with us. Hubby was beyond thrilled to be done having to lug the strollers onto the bus. Our trips got so much better when everyone was walking. I loved it when my girls where that age and we could walk, holding hands, and talk about what they are excited about at the time. Definitely some of our best times together.

Jenn Finan

Now these are "special needs strollers."
Good grief.
Actually, believe it or not, there are wheelchairs for children with dis/abilities that look rather like strollers to most people. ;) It just depends on the child's needs and their age/size. In the case of my 7 yr old nephew who has cerebral palsy, his mobility device looked for all intents and purposes like a somewhat sturdy stroller until he got a regular pediatric wheelchair at the age of 5. I didn't blame people who gave us nasty looks at WDW when I took him because they didn't know better but holy cow, the judgements and nastiness that people can rein down on an adult pushing a 4 year old with special needs in a stroller/wheelchair was very enlightening.

Incomudro

Actually, believe it or not, there are wheelchairs for children with dis/abilities that look rather like strollers to most people. ;) It just depends on the child's needs and their age/size. In the case of my 7 yr old nephew who has cerebral palsy, his mobility device looked for all intents and purposes like a somewhat sturdy stroller until he got a regular pediatric wheelchair at the age of 5. I didn't blame people who gave us nasty looks at WDW when I took him because they didn't know better but holy cow, the judgements and nastiness that people can rein down on an adult pushing a 4 year old with special needs in a stroller/wheelchair was very enlightening.

Yes, there are wheelchairs for children with disabilities.
This however is simply a folding rolling wagon, and unfortunately now the word will get out that if you call it a special needs wagon - it's your rolling equivalent of service dog vest.

Jenn Finan

This however is simply a folding rolling wagon, and unfortunately now the word will get out that if you call it a special needs wagon - it's your rolling equivalent of service dog vest.
You know what, you're right and that's a sad commentary on who we've become. Everybody is out to game the system, whatever system that happens to be.

Chi84

Premium Member
I know this opinion may not be well received, but the vast majority of people voluntarily follow the rules. There are always self-entitled cheats who game the system and, unfortunately, may ruin things for others with legitimate needs. Disney is concerned with the big picture of making things work for most guests, and is not set up to enforce every rule to the fullest. They may wait to see how things shake out before deciding whether wagons will be allowed for those with medical needs. The fact that they may be letting the stroller wagons in today doesn’t mean they will do it permanently.

Last edited:

jaklgreen

PHOTOS - Location of Walt Disney World theme park smoking areas outside of the park entrances

I am not happy that they put them on the pathways to transportation. How are people supposed to avoid them there?

JS514

PHOTOS - Location of Walt Disney World theme park smoking areas outside of the park entrances

I hate to be the complainer. I really try not to be and just go with the flow. And this isn't really a complaint as much as it is a "of course:rolleyes:" moment.
I was more than glad that smoking was going to be no longer allowed in the park. My wife and I get bad headaches just by breathing in cigarette smoke for a short time. It's super annoying, but we managed. Obviously we avoided the smoking areas as much as possible in the parks, but now that they are outside, I almost feel as though I will have to deal with them more.
For example, the MK location....if I take a bus, I'll most likely have to walk right through it. Studios, we walk that path often coming from Epcot/Boardwalk area. Now we will walk right through the smoking area. However it'll be nice to know that I won't have to deal with it inside the parks anymore. Just kind of funny that the smoking ban is now making me deal with smoke even more 😅

jaklgreen

I hate to be the complainer. I really try not to be and just go with the flow. And this isn't really a complaint as much as it is a "of course:rolleyes:" moment.
I was more than glad that smoking was going to be no longer allowed in the park. My wife and I get bad headaches just by breathing in cigarette smoke for a short time. It's super annoying, but we managed. Obviously we avoided the smoking areas as much as possible in the parks, but now that they are outside, I almost feel as though I will have to deal with them more.
For example, the MK location....if I take a bus, I'll most likely have to walk right through it. Studios, we walk that path often coming from Epcot/Boardwalk area. Now we will walk right through the smoking area. However it'll be nice to know that I won't have to deal with it inside the parks anymore. Just kind of funny that the smoking ban is now making me deal with smoke even more 😅

Please email them a complaint about this. I just did. How are we supposed to avoid it now? Epcot is the only one the is situated where we can avoid it. I also have allergic reactions to cigarette smoke and while I am usually a person that deals with things that come up well, this is really upsetting to me. I don't want to start my day at the parks with a violent headache and dizziness.

Incomudro

That's the unfortunate thing about the location of many smoking areas.
They are often located right outside the entranceways of many locations and buildings - thus one needs to wade through the cloud in order to enter.

Patcheslee

And this all could be avoided if parents waited 'till there kids are beyond stroller age before their Disney trip.
I never got to take DD10 until 8yo because of finances. I LOVE seeing the little kids at Disney and their reactions for rides, characters, ect. I don't think it would feel the same not seeing little ones. (The only downside is baby blues lol)

mdcpr

Which was exactly the case for us. Our oldest was almost 8, and our youngest 2 1/2. It would have broken my heart for our oldest to not experience it while he was still young enough to believe in the magic.

ETA: Oldest is now 13...and still believes. Granted, his autism makes him slightly less mature than his peers (not by very much), but I credit Disney with helping to keep the magic alive for him...it's his favorite place in the world and is our family happy place.
Would love to know more about what worked/didn't work for your son. Mine is 12, also in the spectrum, and this year will be his first time at WDW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom