News New single-day ticket pricing will price all four parks at the same level

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
No simply stating that neither group's arguments will change the other's opinion based on anything said here.

Probably not.

There are two sides on the pricing debate that line up:
1. Those that quote textbooks and tend to look at the real time day to day dynamics
2. The old carmudgeons that wonder if the current trajectory is sustainable and what and when the fallout could be.

wendysue

So, I can assume that the price increase will just be for tickets purchased after Oct. 16th and not any that have already been purchased but not yet used???

dreamfinder

So, I can assume that the price increase will just be for tickets purchased after Oct. 16th and not any that have already been purchased but not yet used???

Yes. You were sold a ticket that entitled you to certain park admissions. So now legally, they need to deliver those same admissions (or possibly one of greater value). But if your ticket expires with their new expiration dates, then you may get smacked upside the head when you need to upgrade/reactivate the ticket.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Nope... ready that news story. It didn't mention the change in expiration dates, it didn't mention that ALL tickets would be going to seasonal pricing. It simply announced a ticketing tool. That is news, but not the same news.
The OP is a video. If you WATCH the video, literally all of that information is in there.

boufa

Yes, tickets remain under the rules they were purchased under. If you purchased tickets prior to the multi day seasonal pricing program (Oct 16th) then they are still valid and retain the 14 day use rules.

GlacierGlacier

If the data I'm looking at is correct then single day tickets in September 2008 were $75, September 1998 were $42, and September 1988 were $28.

That means on average tickets are increasing to 162% every 10 years. That would put us at $192.78 for a single day pass in 2028.
This is not quite accurate.

1988 cost $28, but adjusted for inflation is $58.30
1998 cost $42, but adjusted for inflation is $65.53
2008 cost $75, but adjusted for inflation is $89.59
2018 costs (average of min/max, unweighted) $119

The rate of change over these four samples is about $2 every year. That would put us at $139 for 2028.

Using a rough estimate of future inflation, this would adjust to $178.

I used [this](https://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl) inflation calculator for historical data, and [this](https://smartasset.com/investing/inflation-calculator) inflation calculator for future data.

Gillyanne

This is not quite accurate.

1988 cost $28, but adjusted for inflation is $58.30
1998 cost $42, but adjusted for inflation is $65.53
2008 cost $75, but adjusted for inflation is $89.59
2018 costs (average of min/max, unweighted) $119

The rate of change over these four samples is about $2 every year. That would put us at $139 for 2028.

Using a rough estimate of future inflation, this would adjust to $178.

I used [this](https://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl) inflation calculator for historical data, and [this](https://smartasset.com/investing/inflation-calculator) inflation calculator for future data.

I was doing this math, but working in a call center, got a little distracted when those darn customers needed help ;)

I was trying to figure out how the match for "average increase of 162%" even came from. Even when using the non-inflation numbers, I only see a range of 50% - 70% increase between the 10 year increments. Throw in that inflation adjustment and much lower (9.8 - 33.5). Both of the larger jumps were the '98 to '08 increase.

drod1985

I was trying to figure out how the match for "average increase of 162%" even came from.

((119/75)+(75/42)+(42/28))/3 = 1.62. I may have phrased my first post poorly, but I was just saying that every 10 years a ticket was costing 162% of a ticket the year prior. Just saying a 62% increase would've made more sense.

But thanks to @GlacierGlacier we've got a better estimate that adjusts for inflation.

disneyflush

Predicted profit down to the second...

Nobody strolling through the park with that “this place is so great for what I paid” look...

Basically ya. I can't fathom a first timer visiting at this point and thinking 'what an amazing value'. Where value existed in the past they have developed a surgical precision at either increasing the prices where it lived or removing it entirely. If someone was asking you for advice and said, "What are some good or hidden values to look for at WDW when I go?" what would you say?

Things like the dining plan aren't even about saving money anymore, its mostly people saying, "I'd rather not have to think about how much each meal would be when we are eating." Disney has made the prices so high that people pay just for the convenience of not being reminded of the prices they are paying.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Basically ya. I can't fathom a first timer visiting at this point and thinking 'what an amazing value'. Where value existed in the past they have developed a surgical precision at either increasing the prices where it lived or removing it entirely. If someone was asking you for advice and said, "What are some good or hidden values to look for at WDW when I go?" what would you say?

Things like the dining plan aren't even about saving money anymore, its mostly people saying, "I'd rather not have to think about how much each meal would be when we are eating." Disney has made the prices so high that people pay just for the convenience of not being reminded of the prices they are paying.
The dining plan was never about saving money. Maybe they successfully fooled you into think it it was in the past, but it wasn't.

Personally, I've never been to WDW and thought "what an amazing value." It was always loads of fun and very expensive. I still find it to be loads of fun and it's even more expensive. "What an amazing value" was never part of it.

EOD K9

Two things. One, that is terrible as usually we like to hit a park for one day after our cruise. That is crazy. Next, if I buy two one day adult and two child tickets before the 16th, can I use them in July of next year? Thanks in advance.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
If you use government rates of inflation... that’s a totally different discussion we’ll have to go down.

If I weren’t in a hotel room at DLP currently, I’d look up the spreadsheet that shows how ticket prices have increased over 100% under Iger. That ain’t 2005 prices plus 2-3% inflation (but I admit I’m tired after being in both parks for a combined 12 hours today, plus walking).

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The dining plan was never about saving money. Maybe they successfully fooled you into think it it was in the past, but it wasn't.

Personally, I've never been to WDW and thought "what an amazing value." It was always loads of fun and very expensive. I still find it to be loads of fun and it's even more expensive. "What an amazing value" was never part of it.

Correct...it was used during the housing crash to an extent (we could go days on that)

The dining plan was about “softening the defenses” of the consumer and shifting expectations...it was 95% effective.

Just like now it’s “special experience events”

And that is even more stupid and is working way more than it should on a supposed intelligent clientele.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
If you use government rates of inflation... that’s a totally different discussion we’ll have to go down.

If I weren’t in a hotel room at DLP currently, I’d look up the spreadsheet that shows how ticket prices have increased over 100% under Iger. That ain’t 2005 prices plus 2-3% inflation (but I admit I’m tired after being in both parks for a combined 12 hours today, plus walking).

You don’t have to...people have two choices on what you’re saying:
1. Accept it as truth
2. Be wrong

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom