News New security measures

photomatt

You are right. My bad. I've forgotten how effective all the drug and DWI legislation has been. We hardly ever see those tragedies anymore.
You are claiming that we should not have laws because people break them. This is nonsense. We know that people will break laws; however, it is a fact that some laws do have a positive effect on the issue.

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/812231.pdf

You will see that in the chart on page 2 that the number of deaths and fatality rate has decreased year by year. In fact, MADD claims that the number of alcohol related deaths has decreased by half since they were founded in 1980.

http://www.madd.org/drunk-driving/about/drunk-driving-statistics.html

You also bring up drug laws and the drug issue. You have a valid point, but that is a different issue. Those laws criminalize addiction. We need to treat addiction, not criminalize it.

With alcohol, we allow its consumption (if you are over 21). We criminalize drunk driving because that is an avoidable action. Drug laws and DUI laws are separate issues.

RSoxNo1

A part of the issue is perspective.

His actions may seem and be rooted in mental instability from a Western Judeo Christian perspective. However, from a Salafist perspective, his action are absolutely rational and lauded. How is it that an Imam in Orlando can state that gays need to be killed "out of compassion" and not be condemned?
People hide behind religious beliefs and assume that's an acceptable defense. If a "religion" supports the killing of innocent people they are not a religion. If a "religion" supports oppressing a particular group or gender, they are not a religion. At that point the "religion" should be classified as a cult.

photomatt

There is a sick ideology that will always find ways to kill westerners no matter what guns laws are in place. London, Paris, Brussels, San Bernadino, Orlando.
This is true, but as I said before, if we prevent access to the tools that inflict the most casualties, the number of people murdered will decrease.

BrerJon

you know cars will kill more people today than this shooter right?

We make choices in life based on weighing up dangers. Sure people die in auto accidents, in place crashes, from knife wounds and from smoking, but on balance our society deems the benefit of cars, planes or knifes to outweigh that.

When it comes to guns, is the benefit to our daily lives from being able to buy an assault weapon in Wal-Mart so much better that it's worth hundreds of deaths, and living in fear of being shot? That's the question America has to ask itself.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
With alcohol, we allow its consumption (if you are over 21). We criminalize drunk driving because that is an avoidable action. Drug laws and DUI laws are separate issues.
With guns, we allow their use (if you are of legal age). We criminalize shooting people because that is an avoidable action.

See. I think the same thing makes sense about guns.

photomatt

Like cars, boats, planes, power tools, kitchen appliances, swimming pools, office supplies, bricks, water, rope, bare hands? People injured by those weapons?
Please explain to me how you anyone can use a swimming pool as a weapon. Please explain to me how 50 people could be murdered, and over 50 more injured, when someone uses their bare hands.

photomatt

It would take us back to the Stone Age but then we would be murdered by rocks? What do we do with all the rocks?

hith-stonehenge-superhenge-iStock_000012937253Large-E.jpeg

matt9112

Please explain to me how you anyone can use a swimming pool as a weapon. Please explain to me how 50 people could be murdered, and over 50 more injured, when someone uses their bare hands.

knife attacks have racked up in the 100s.....china i believe. bunch of school children IIRC you simply find no need for guns so thats all you bring to the table....you appear to admit a ban wont stop terrorist but you still are just really whiney about people owning them.

BrerJon

If you're a normal person with a normal job in a normal town, and you need to own a weapon with no purpose other than killing people in the 21st century, then you're doing being a human being wrong.

Matt_Black

Well, if it's chlorinated, you can add ammonia and... OH GOD I'M GIVING THE TERRORISTS IDEAS!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom