New Rumor Says Further Demolitions Cancelled & Clubs Could Reopen!

lebeau

Original Poster
I know there are a few DTD and Hyperion Wharf threads out there, but I thought this rumor was BIG enough to deserve it's own thread.

According to Save Pleasure Island, the remaining clubs on Pleasure Island MAY be re-opened by third parties.

Here's a link:

http://savepleasureisland.blogspot.com/2011/04/pi-update-new-rumor-says-further.html

"I want to make clear that the following information was provided to us by one of our sources but I've not been able to get any kind of secondary verification. The source is reporting that allegedly all further demolitions on Pleasure Island have been stopped. The real bombshell information though, if true, is that some or all of the clubs will be made available for 3rd party leases, as is, for any use including being refurbished and reopened as clubs!

The information given to us is that Disney would not reopen the clubs, they would have to be 3rd party leases. We're told that the clubs could not be the same as what was there previously but they could be "similar". Not entirely sure what that means but my guess is that Mannequins, for example, could not reopen as Mannequins but it could reopen as a dance club with a different theme with a revolving dance floor (which we're told is still in there). Ditto the other clubs; they could be leased and reopened in a similar to what they used to be yet different manner.

If this rumor is true, this is the best possible news short of Disney just reopening the places themselves! Nightlife would return to Walt Disney World and Pleasure Island would no longer be a ghost town. Other shops and restaurants would want to be part of that action! I want to emphasize again that this is just a rumor from one source and I have no verification of its accuracy. It should not be relied-upon by anyone for any decision-making.

Does this mean that the Hyperion Wharf project has been postponed or perhaps even canceled? I don't know. Now that Spring Break and Easter crowds have gone we'll know soon whether demolition walls go up around BET and AC per the prior rumors as well as the blueprints we posted here on the Blog. We'll soon see if work on the amphitheater begins anew. But wouldn't this be awesome if it's true! "

jt04

This would be a lose-lose because it will drive potential customers away from the retail districts and from the AMC and Disney Quest and T-Rex and RFC. It is a self defeating strategy that would only appeal to a small but vocal audience that does not have much disposable income in this economy.

Bringing clubs back to DTD would be nuts. Steve essentially confirmed HW is happening yesterday.

I'm calling shenanigans on this SPI news. Someone's gotta do it. :wave:

lebeau

Original Poster
This would be a lose-lose because it will drive potential customers away from the retail districts and from the AMC and Disney Quest and T-Rex and RFC. It is a self defeating strategy that would only appeal to a small but vocal audience that does not have much disposable income in this economy.

Bringing clubs back to DTD would be nuts. Steve essentially confirmed HW is happening yesterday.

I'm calling shenanigans on this SPI news. Someone's gotta do it. :wave:

jt, you've got nothing but your own opinion to back up the theory that reopening the clubs would harm any other ventures in DTD. So, give it a rest.

Steve posted pictures of grass which is far from a confirmation that HW is still on track per the original concept art. Nothing in his post backs up anything you're claiming which just makes your arguments seem weaker.

Call shenanigans if you like. It may very well be. Time will tell. It does make a certain amount of sense with what has been reported from DTD lately.

redshoesrock

I have to say, if this is true what does it say about TDO and their flip-flopping on projects after they are announced to the public? Think how different the Fantasyland Expansion is now compared to what they revealed and announced originally. Again, all this is dependent on "if this rumor is true", but if it is, I'm even more worried about TDO than I normally am. It's not good to spend a considerable amount of money on a project only to then turn right around and chuck it all in the garbage, even if you as a fan think the change is better. It would be better if Disney got it right the first time (I'm looking at you, California Adventure).

jt04

I have to say, if this is true what does it say about TDO and their flip-flopping on projects after they are announced to the public? Think how different the Fantasyland Expansion is now compared to what they revealed and announced originally. Again, all this is dependent on "if this rumor is true", but if it is, I'm even more worried about TDO than I normally am. It's not good to spend a considerable amount of money on a project only to then turn right around and chuck it all in the garbage, even if you as a fan think the change is better. It would be better if Disney got it right the first time (I'm looking at you, California Adventure).

First, it was Skaggs not TDO that made the decision to redo the FLE. Some at TDO did fantasize that the crowds would overwhelm the enhanced M&G's. Based on what though remains a mystery. Skaggs stepped in and gave us Circusland.

I have been around this site long enough to know that Steve would not start a thread highlighting the progress of something unless he had specific information. And his thread yesterday was specific. Hyperion Wharf is a go.

IWant2GoNow

I think, if true, this is the best outcome. I saw nothing about HW that really jumped out and said "people want to see this". Just a bunch of bright lights and nothing more. It's like putting glitter on a turd.

Hopefully, they would bring back AC too, but I think that's just wishful thinking at this point. Still kicking myself for never going. :brick::cry:

Also, if this were true, it would explain the slow progression and lack of direction I mentioned yesterday.

Hmm... makes ya think. :)

menamechris

I have to say that while you are correct that this makes for bad business - I am not surprised in the least. In fact, it is what I have come to expect from these people. They probably didn't even crunch the numbers on what it would cost to build HW until after they released the concept art - only to find out they wouldn't be making their money back anytime soon by the four or five businesses who actually showed any interest.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
First, it was Skaggs not TDO that made the decision to redo the FLE. Some at TDO did fantasize that the crowds would overwhelm the enhanced M&G's. Based on what though remains a mystery. Skaggs stepped in and gave us Circusland.

I have been around this site long enough to know that Steve would not start a thread highlighting the progress of something unless he had specific information. And his thread yesterday was specific. Hyperion Wharf is a go.

Steve had specific photos of what appears to be the park area from the HW artwork getting started. Nothing more. Don't go trying to take anything else from those photos, especially seeing how there is a trend towards grass and mulch at DTD these days.....

lebeau

Original Poster

I'll take Steve's post at face value. He had pictures of the latest construction that he shared with us. Hardly a confirmation that the HW of the original concept art is a "go". :rolleyes:

Maybe Steve can clarify whether or not there was any more to it than that as you claim.

jt04

I'll take Steve's post at face value. He had pictures of the latest construction that he shared with us. Hardly a confirmation that the HW of the original concept art is a "go". :rolleyes:

Maybe Steve can clarify whether or not there was any more to it than that as you claim.

That is his version of "definite" from my experience.

Raven even all but confirmed it a few days ago plus stuff as yet unannounced. And Raven was here earlier lurking and was not inclined to confirm this latest "unconfirmed rumor".

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

No more to it than what I posted. There is active construction back there, albeit on a fairly small scale.

lebeau

Original Poster
I have to say that while you are correct that this makes for bad business - I am not surprised in the least. In fact, it is what I have come to expect from these people. They probably didn't even crunch the numbers on what it would cost to build HW until after they released the concept art - only to find out they wouldn't be making their money back anytime soon by the four or five businesses who actually showed any interest.

My (conspiracy) theory is that Disney released the Hyperion Wharf concept art hoping it would entice third parties to sign on. They knew if it didn't work, they could always bail out of the plan and barely anyone would notice. It didn't cost them much to draw up a few pretty pictures.

If the rumor is ture, it seems that Disney has resorted to Plan B. Maybe third parties expressed an interest in operating a club rather than another shop or restaurant.

Steve had specific photos of what appears to be the park area from the HW artwork getting started. Nothing more. Don't go trying to take anything else from those photos, especially seeing how there is a trend towards grass and mulch at DTD these days.....

jt is trying to equate disagreeing with him with doubting Steve. It's not going to work. Anyone can look at Steve's post and see it for what it is (a far cry from what jt is making it out to be).

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Just an observation on what is often posted around here that is completely false. Downtown Disney is not a ghost town, far from it, even in its current state. On a nightly basis the restaurants have lines out the door, the parking lots are full, even the West Side lot is congested. Regardless of what you think about DTD, it is not true to say it's a ghost town.

lebeau

Original Poster
That is his version of "definite" from my experience.

Raven even all but confirmed it a few days ago plus stuff as yet unannounced. And Raven was here earlier lurking and was not inclined to confirm this latest "unconfirmed rumor".

Perhaps what is unnanounced is that the clubs are being retooled. Perhaps Raven couldn't comment on this rumor because it is too close to the mark.

Just sayin'.

No more to it than what I posted. There is active construction back there, albeit on a fairly small scale.

Thanks! :)

jt04

Just an observation on what is often posted around here that is completely false. Downtown Disney is not a ghost town, far from it, even in its current state. On a nightly basis the restaurants have lines out the door, the parking lots are full, even the West Side lot is congested. Regardless of what you think about DTD, it is not true to say it's a ghost town.

Unless they bring back the clubs.

Thanks for all the great information.

thewhitequeen

Why would Disney lease the locations out? I suppose they would make a greater profit charging rent and taking a cut of the profits. I admit to loving the idea of Adventurers Club re-opening but would someone be able to re-create it the way Disney had it? hmmmmmmm........

menamechris

Why would Disney lease the locations out? I suppose they would make a greater profit charging rent and taking a cut of the profits. I admit to loving the idea of Adventurers Club re-opening but would someone be able to re-create it the way Disney had it? hmmmmmmm........

They probably dont want the overhead and headaches that come with running a club. By just leasing it to a third party, they collect rent and don't have the responsibility...

lebeau

Original Poster
They probably dont want the overhead and headaches that come with running a club. By just leasing it to a third party, they collect rent and don't have the responsibility...

Which, as I understand it, has been the driving force behind the changes to PI for a long time now.

thewhitequeen

I know it works well with Rainforest Cafe and Planet Hollywood, but those aren't clubs that serve high amounts of alcohol. Will leasing to a 3rd party take away from the Disney atmosphere? Maybe they don't care. :shrug:

lebeau

Original Poster
I know it works well with Rainforest Cafe and Planet Hollywood, but those aren't clubs that serve high amounts of alcohol. Will leasing to a 3rd party take away from the Disney atmosphere? Maybe they don't care. :shrug:

They don't seem to care. At least not enough to do it in-house.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom