New rides don't have on-ride photos

datbates

Original Poster
Does anyone know why the newest rides (runaway railway, smuggler's run, rise of the resistance) do not have on-ride photos. Is Disney deciding to discontinue this service eventually?

Maybe it is just trackless rides... Seems like there are some good spots though... say the drop on rise or at exit from the dance room on railway.

Last edited:

Wendy Pleakley

Coasters and thrill rides result in dynamic photos where people are screaming from fear/joy and make for a unique photo. These photos have more value to the consumer than rides where one's expression might be closer to "mildly interested".

Rather than every ride I imagine Disney simply chooses the ones with the most potential to make a sale to include the photo option.

I do enjoy the Dinosaur photos, many of which are children cowering in their parents arms. Someone should make an album of those.

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC Member
Premium Member
I think it's more of a communication and budgeting issue between park-ops and imagineering. Sometimes it's overlooked and sometimes not desired at all. The headscratcher photo-ops on Haunted Mansion and POTC tell me that Disney is fully committed to reaping whatever they can from on-ride photo sales, regardless of whether they make sense or not. They aren't discontinuing a money-making venture. Even the upcoming Jungle Cruise overlay will be incorporating a photo-opportunity scene presenting the classic "on-ride photo" as a tongue-in-cheek, self-deprecating meta joke. Photo-Ops aren't going away. They're just selective about where they put them. Some more successful than others.

It's surprising that Runaway Railway and Rise do not incorporate them but that's not to say they won't appear at a later date. I like your ideas on placement. Those are exactly where photo-op cameras (and flashes) SHOULD go!

Last edited:

Pepper's Ghost

Coasters and thrill rides result in dynamic photos where people are screaming from fear/joy and make for a unique photo. These photos have more value to the consumer than rides where one's expression might be closer to "mildly interested".

Rather than every ride I imagine Disney simply chooses the ones with the most potential to make a sale to include the photo option.

I do enjoy the Dinosaur photos, many of which are children cowering in their parents arms. Someone should make an album of those.
I agree with this completely. Dinosaur ALWAYS has great photos. I'm not a photo buying person, but had to on one time on that ride.

My first instinct was that I didn't feel that many people buy photos, but if you think of it, after installing the equipment, the cost is next to nothing so it's just a cha-ching any time a person decides they want theirs.

Btw, Tower of Terror is another perfect one for this. I wish there was a way to get the photo on the first big drop, but I realize it's too dark to do that. It still usually results in fantastic ride photos.

datbates

Original Poster
It is more of a getting them with memory maker for me since I have purchased it twice now when coming with big groups. The benefits are great when you are bringing a party of 35 like we just did. Slinky, Frozen and Seven Dwarves all have them, but the newest 3 rides don't.

There is a great one they do for Tower of Terror already which even includes slow motion video of a drop (not quite in sync right now actually).

Pepper's Ghost

There is a great one they do for Tower of Terror already which even includes slow motion video of a drop (not quite in sync right now actually).
Yep. Just reread my response and it does seem like I'm suggesting it'd be a good ride to add it. I actually meant that it does have it and it's the perfect ride for it. Just wish it was on the first drop, but realize the dark makes it not possible.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom