Rumor New ride coming to Animal Kingdom. D23 announcement expected.

Spash007

Just saw on twitter another Disney site has hinted that Primeval Whirl will be closed for good. At first I read that as a good sign as a second source having this same discussion, with their own sources. But there's been no "BREAKING NEWS", flashing lights or even a new post with the rumor title. That makes me think this certain site was perusing these boards, and is buying into this discussion although I guess it is a faint possibility he's just not spilling the beans yet (which would be very unlikely given the track record).

Monorail_Orange

Clearly many of you have never seen what happens when something like a shipping container is left on asphalt for a prolonged period.
Or a motorcycle parked with its kickstand directly on asphalt.
Even the largest of park guests don't approach the PSI downforce represented in these examples - or else, wouldn't the people, their cars, and the trams be sinking into the parking lots/roadways? (I'm not disputing either of your examples, both are valid in and of themselves, but they're very different situations.)

peter11435

Even the largest of park guests don't approach the PSI downforce represented in these examples - or else, wouldn't the people, their cars, and the trams be sinking into the parking lots/roadways? (I'm not disputing either of your examples, both are valid in and of themselves, but they're very different situations.)
Nobody is saying the guests would sink into the asphalt. The point is that asphalt does not hold up as well as concrete. Which is why it wasn’t used.

Monorail_Orange

Nobody is saying the guests would sink into the asphalt. The point is that asphalt does not hold up as well as concrete. Which is why it wasn’t used.
Sorry, I misunderstood the context of your post about the shipping containers, my first response was about Rhode saying:
"People probably don't realize we can't have asphalt as in the Florida summer you would sink in to it."
About smack in the middle of the second screengrab. I took issue with that statement as being complete B.S. You are absolutely correct that asphalt wouldn't last as long. It's used in highways and parking lots because it's cheaper, easier, and faster to repave than concrete - making them more cost effective for highways and parking lots...but not so much for inside a theme park.

JustInTime

the fact that Primeval Whirl is still closed may be a clue
Yeah that’s what we are saying. There is chatter on Twitter that it may never reopen. We will see. I’d be okay with it as long as whatever is coming is appropriate for Animal Kingdom. Which I don’t think Indy fits, IMO.

Monorail_Orange

I’ve made a post in another thread that angles how that land can work. I just think it needs to go to the back of the park where the train currently runs around.
While your thought certainly makes sense from a placemaking perspective, I really doubt TDO would want to build an entire land (not just the Conservation Station/RPW) that is only accessible by a singular transit method/route.

FigmentJedi

It’s silly to me to see Rohde get defensive of this project as though we should kiss his shoes over faded parking space lines. It’s like, “Dude, Eisner gave you a cheapo Band-Aid project and you did the best you could with the budget. But don’t pretend it’s a masterpiece like some of your other projects.”

I love when “temporary” Disney projects last for 20 years. Maybe “temporary” to a Galapagos tortoise.
I don't know Rohde, but I can't see him putting all this fantastic theming into this park, then looking at the wild mouse and spinner and saying "PERFECT! My vision is complete!"
Yes. He’s pretending Dino-Rama is amazing, which epitomizes the problem with modern WDI. “We spent a fortune researching and making fake asphalt, so therefore it’s AMAZING amiright?!??”
I remember when Joe also said of Primeval Whirl "You know, we can tear this whole thing down in less then a week"

pdude81

While your thought certainly makes sense from a placemaking perspective, I really doubt TDO would want to build an entire land (not just the Conservation Station/RPW) that is only accessible by a singular transit method/route.
And the conservation station has an useful purpose. There is one way to half make this work and that is to turn the building into Cliffside Asylum where they treated the "savages", then build the land between there and Asia with an access point close to Kali. But they could do this with any property or theme, so I hope that if and when they expand they just leave RPW as is and just connect that to whatever they decide on in the larger space down the road.

britain

And the conservation station has an useful purpose. There is one way to half make this work and that is to turn the building into Cliffside Asylum where they treated the "savages", then build the land between there and Asia with an access point close to Kali. But they could do this with any property or theme, so I hope that if and when they expand they just leave RPW as is and just connect that to whatever they decide on in the larger space down the road.

Grrr...

You're reminding me about how much the theme of Zootopia really doesn't fit the theme of the park.

Almost an antithesis to it.

Brer Panther

They could always fulfill my dreams and bring in Mystic Manor.... I know its not a good fit necessarily in theme, but it would be a good family people eating dark ride. That is something I think AK really lacks.
I agree, Disney's Animal Kingdom really does need a good family dark ride or two. I think a dark ride based on The Jungle Book would be perfect.

- they'd really like to leverage their Fox buyout so what in Fox could they use?
I could hypothetically see Ice Age being put in Dinoland (hey, maybe THAT could be the family dark ride!). Maybe something Rio-related too, but I think that would make more sense if there were some sort of South America-based land in the park... which, at the moment, there isn't.

Holy on a minute, if the Asia parks have a minimum 5 year exclusivity for new attractions, why would Disney announce this? The Shanghai land is set to open in 2021, which would mean AK can’t have anything open until 2026.
I thought that was just for Tokyo and its rides. I could be wrong, though...

Yes. He’s pretending Dino-Rama is amazing, which epitomizes the problem with modern WDI. “We spent a fortune researching and making fake asphalt, so therefore it’s AMAZING amiright?!??”
Kind of makes me wonder... have any of the Imagineers ever admitted to disliking a ride? That they worked on or not, I mean?

JustInTime

My thoughts are is that the land goes where the train runs. So it would actually be in walking distance from Africa and there would be no more train. Conservation Station would be backstage.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom