New Resort on Monorail?

poly816

Original Poster
Hey Guys, I was at disneyworld last month and on the bus ride back from MK to Carribian Beach the bus driver was dishin out facts about the resorts(i already knew them:p) but one thing i didnt know is as we passed the wilderness lodge area there is a big part of empty space on the lagoon side of the monorail and he said that disney will be building up a new resort there in the near future. HAs anyone heard about this?

Lynx04

I believe you are talking about the site that is was suppose to be the location of the Mediaterrainian (SP) Resort). Apparently it was never built due to the conditions of the land that is located there. Not to say that it will never be used for a resort, but their is a lot more land on property that can be used that doesn't require expensive land preping.

donsullivan

Premium Member
If indeed it's that site just north of TTC, I remember them doing some land analysis work in this area back in the early 90's. They were doing soil analysis and other similar work. They learned that the land was of a type that then current construction technologies would not allow them to build what they had in mind.

I wouldn't be surprised if somewhere in the future (or present) construction technology will reach a point where it's cost effective to build there. It seems too valuable a piece of land not to add a new Premium resort of some sort.

tn1999

donsullivan said:
If indeed it's that site just north of TTC, I remember them doing some land analysis work in this area back in the early 90's. They were doing soil analysis and other similar work. They learned that the land was of a type that then current construction technologies would not allow them to build what they had in mind.

I wouldn't be surprised if somewhere in the future (or present) construction technology will reach a point where it's cost effective to build there. It seems too valuable a piece of land not to add a new Premium resort of some sort.

...or their budget wouldnt allow. my highschool was built on a swamp. one of the craziest construction feats of mankind. (or at least thats what it was made out to be). basically, the entire structure rests on a foundation that, for lack of better wording, floats on the swamp. of course the land that the foundation was built in is somewhat ridgid, but they couldnt take any chances. so they foundation allows the building to move, if need be.

there is no way my cheap school district could do this (in 1992), and Disney couldnt. swamp, sand, whatever, I know Disney can make something happen if they want it to happen. Unless of course budget constraints are involved.

Jose Eber

Wouldn't that make WL a little too close to the new hotel?

I'd love for there to be another stop there...even if its a long arm section attached to the WL and you have a moving walkway of sorts (or a WEDWAY connecting both WL and FW).

I can dream!

Number_6

tn1999 said:
...or their budget wouldnt allow. my highschool was built on a swamp. one of the craziest construction feats of mankind. (or at least thats what it was made out to be). basically, the entire structure rests on a foundation that, for lack of better wording, floats on the swamp. of course the land that the foundation was built in is somewhat ridgid, but they couldnt take any chances. so they foundation allows the building to move, if need be.

there is no way my cheap school district could do this (in 1992), and Disney couldnt. swamp, sand, whatever, I know Disney can make something happen if they want it to happen. Unless of course budget constraints are involved.

"The King said I was daft to build a castle in the swamp, but I built it all the same. It sank into the swamp. So I built another one. That sank into the swamp. So I built a third one. That one burned down, fell over then sank into the swamp. But the fourth one... STAYED UP!!! And that's what you're going to get lad, the strongest castle in these isles."

imagineer boy

Someone should really put duck tape on all of the bus driver's faces because I don't want to hear another rumor come out of a bus driver's mouth for the rest of my life!!!!!!!!

Epcot82Guy

Jose Eber said:
I'd love for there to be another stop there...even if its a long arm section attached to the WL and you have a moving walkway of sorts (or a WEDWAY connecting both WL and FW).

I can dream!

I agree (although connect it to Contemporary where the whole WedWay or sidewalk wouldn't have to have logs as the track :animwink: . Regardless, I would love to see a new attraction of sorts come in. So, I'll dream with you too.

On a side note, could the "new resort" he was talking about possibly be part of the Contemporary DVC change/expansion? I know this land is a bit removed from the Contemporary, but a set of villas ala Beach Club that went more out than up might sprawl into this. Just a thought...

brkgnews

At least this one did have some moderate air of plausibility to it. If you saw the early sketches of concepts for around the seven seas lagoon, you would have seen sketches of various "multicultural" hotels, including an asian themed, mediterranian (seeking a pardon from the spelling police) themed, and such. Granted, most of that went out the window a long time ago -- but we all know that imagineering NEVER completely throws away an idea. Do I believe it will actually happen? I give it maybe 1% possibility. But the idea is not that foreign and is at least based in some previous fact.

That said... Bus driver rumors are notoriously false.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Considering this was the original site for the Venitian Resort, then the Med, it`s probably a rumour that won`t go away. The site was cleared (again) in 1990 for the Med, but as posted earlier the ground just isn`t up to construction. Considering the Med was to be higher class than the GF, any expensive new construction tecniques could pay for themselves - assuming TWDC still want another top of the line resort.

It`s also possible the Contemporary expansion looked here too; in the mid 90`s the Kingdom Suites Resort was planned for the beach area between the Contemporary and the MK; styled after and serviced from the Contemporary. Old ideas never die (quote/unquote) so maybe this bit of lumpy land north of the T&TC is still in the running.

Personally I`d like the untapped potential of the Bay Lake shoreline to be used first; although since the Persian Resort was to be built where the boneyard is today a new site may be needed.

There again, I hope the powers that be sort of the Treehouse mess before anything else.

brkgnews

marni1971 said:
Considering the Med was to be higher class than the GF...

Yikes. What would they do -- paint the rooms with solid gold? I can't even imagine what a night's lodging there would cost.

jedimaster1227

Haven't we talked about this before? What happened to this forum's old motto of "Don't believe the word of a transportation (Bus, Monorail, Boat, etc...) worker for Disney"? This is really starting to get weird. I think the land is going to be one of the last patches of land available for Disney use and that it won't be used until River Country or the land where it is now is used and put towards something else (i.e. a new waterpark, a new resort, or dare I say it, a segment of THE new 5th gate).:lookaroun

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom