New Resort Merchandise

Foolish Mortal

We stayed at AOA in march and they had several shirts, cups, key chains, shower curtains, hats and other things I can't remember.

I took a walk over to AoA during my recent stay at POP and they had a lot of stuff. Including shirts. Disney is missing out on so much money by not offering merchandise at ALL resorts. Most of the GF stuff I saw was geared towards Golfers. And was only available in 1 specific store.

nytimez

I took a walk over to AoA during my recent stay at POP and they had a lot of stuff. Including shirts. Disney is missing out on so much money by not offering merchandise at ALL resorts. Most of the GF stuff I saw was geared towards Golfers. And was only available in 1 specific store.

Disney has apparently decided at the corporate level that it's not simply enough to sell an item for a profit in the park. They want the lowest of all low-hanging fruit - they want to sell stuff they can produce in the biggest volume and sell for the biggest markup, streamlining everything from design to production to distribution, etc. in the process.

Tim_4

They still haven't figured this out company wide. Iger's corporate edict that everything will just be "Disney" (not Walt Disney, or Disney's) has certainly not made it's way to Florida.

It's fine by me, however, because things like "Disney Dumbo" (check out the DVD cover) and "Disney California Adventure" not only are grammatically incorrect, but sound ridiculous as well.
I agree that it sounds absurd but I don't think there's a grammar issue as these are proper nouns, not sentences. We don't say Walt Disney's World.

Tim_4

They're not missing much because when they offered it, it didn't sell. They weren't able to order in enough bulk to make their margins work.

Tim_4

This has been covered many times. The merchandise is for DVC and Deluxes ONLY -- Disney got rid of all resort-themed merchandise years ago and there are no plans to bring it back for any of the moderates or values. There was an AoA t-shirt for the first month after it opened, but even that was discontinued once they were all sold.
I have a DAAR golf shirt.

Tim_4

Your response makes perfect sense. However, the Disney corporation doesn't always use logic, and therefore there are now lots of things which are simply called "Disney" even when "Disney's" would be the correct usage. (See my above post). This is apparently the work of the marketing and branding geniuses out in Burbank.
If that were the case, wouldn't an entire new resort have been one of the major targets for this push? DAAR is absolutely "Disney's Art of Animation Resort."

Dear The Forum, can we call it DAAR instead of AoA? Disney uses "DAAR" internally and you can actually say it out loud. "Dar," versus "Ay-oh-ay."

G00fyDad

Disney has apparently decided at the corporate level that it's not simply enough to sell an item for a profit in the park. They want the lowest of all low-hanging fruit - they want to sell stuff they can produce in the biggest volume and sell for the biggest markup, streamlining everything from design to production to distribution, etc. in the process.

I would like this statement, but it is too true. :(

Tim_4

I would like this statement, but it is too true. :(
If you could sell lemonade made with cheap lemons and it didn't impact the number of glasses you sold or the price people were willing to pay, wouldn't you? It's the consumer's job to demand quality by withholding patronage from what they consider inferior offerings.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom