"New" Refillable Mugs.

Hot Lava

Yes. You do. Mugs are only valid for the length of the current stay. That has always been the policy. It was posted on the mug ads and used to be posted on the drink machines themselves as well.

People were abusing it, so Disney introduced this system to combat that. They call it "Rapidfill"...

This whole thing is completely rotten. And I know, not unique to WDW. But the cost of fountain drinks to a place like WDW is basically infinitesimal. I am sure the mugs probably cost about 1.50, tops (that includes with the RFID tech). It is obscene the amount being charged.

This doesn't even impact me, as I do not drink pop anymore except on very rare occasions. But I still think this whole set and cost is ridiculous. Even if they want to enforce people buying new mugs, the most WDW should be charging is maybe $2 a day, with a free mug (if you are staying on property).

I wonder if you are a person who drinks copious amount of soda (or whatever else you get out of these machines), will get cut off each day, with the machine telling you that you have surpassed your daily max allotment. If not now, expect that in the future.

surfsupdon

WOW you just reminded me of my first and only stay at CB in 1995 - it was fabulous. I loooved the food court and the menu's it was great. The last time I visited - it was the same menus at Sports like POP like Port Orleans. As you said everything is generic now.

My favorite was the Kingston Wok Shop, they had some teriyaki chicken that was very good.

Disneykidder

And do tell the checker at the grocery store that something is more expensive than what it rang up for Rose Nylund, LOL. Sorry had to do it :)
Lol. Funny, I really do enjoy that show. :joyfull:

I don't think we will be purchasing these cups now. We really don't use them all that much to warrant that price. If they were a different design then the past few years but maybe...if it's the same then no.

epcotisbest

Obviously I am confused. Because I am seeing a price for the mug which is $16 plus the price of lengh of stay for my trip which is $18. So please tell me what can I expect to pay?
I understand the confusion...it is a bit confusing. The $17.99 for length of stay includes the mug and refills. You don't have to buy the mug and then pay more for the refills. Hope you have a great trip, and lots of refills.

disney4life2008

I understand the confusion...it is a bit confusing. The $17.99 for length of stay includes the mug and refills. You don't have to buy the mug and then pay more for the refills. Hope you have a great trip, and lots of refills.

Thank you so much this clears it up. I have no problem spending $17 on the mug with refills included. Now I am excited :)

LucyK

Everyone agrees the price of the mug is a bit much but I can't grasp the concept of stealing soda just because of it. Call me whatever you want but in the end stealing IS stealing, be it soda or any other stuff, nothing justifies it.

ETA: I agree with the past poster that said they should sell discounted chips if you brought back your old mug.

Last edited:

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
The last time I was in a resort food court was all star music because a flood in the apartment above mine caused me to have to vacate for one night. Anyway...while in the food court line filling up my disposable cup, I observed someone else trying to refill their old mug. The cm who was wiping up the counter came over. I was curious to see how this was going to go down. She looked around, lowered her voice and got all secret agent and said, "they're not monitoring the iced tea yet! Try that!" It was just the way she said it...like "they" was the NSA or something. Then she smiled and went back to cleaning the counter. The guy proceeded to fill all 4 of his mugs with iced tea, and then off he went.

I still chuckle when I think about that.

Last edited:

JerseyDad

.......food ...err, ..sorry...drink for thought:

.......RFID mug = $18 bucks

.......each refill (+/-10 to 16 oz ...based on ice content) = $0.12 to $0.16 (12 or 16 cents) ...predicated on a base cost of about 1.0 cent / ounce
(since the mug is yours ...there is no outlay of paper / foam cup or lid by WDW that would be factored in)

.......meaning ...you'd need to completely refill the cup about 100 times to get "your money's worth"
(@ 16oz / refill ...you'd need to drink about 10 to 13 gallons of product)

......now ...here's the bonus question: How Many Trips To The Restroom Does That Equal??

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
.......food ...err, ..sorry...drink for thought:

.......RFID mug = $18 bucks

.......each refill (+/-10 to 16 oz ...based on ice content) = $0.12 to $0.16 (12 or 16 cents) ...predicated on a base cost of about 1.0 cent / ounce
(since the mug is yours ...there is no outlay of paper / foam cup or lid by WDW that would be factored in)

.......meaning ...you'd need to completely refill the cup about 100 times to get "your money's worth"
(@ 16oz / refill ...you'd need to drink about 10 to 13 gallons of product)

......now ...here's the bonus question: How Many Trips To The Restroom Does That Equal??

Yeah, if you're paying that wholesale rate. However, sodas at WDW cost $2.99 a pop.

mimitchi33

The last time I was in a resort food court was all star music because a flood in the apartment above mine caused me to have to vacate for one night. Anyway...while in the food court line filling up my disposable cup, I observed someone else trying to refill their old mug. The cm who was wiping up the counter came over. I was curious to see how this was going to go down. She looked around, lowered her voice and got all secret agent and said, "they're not monitoring the iced tea yet! Try that!" It was just the way she said it...like "they" was the NSA or something. Then she smiled and went back to cleaning the counter. The guy proceeded to fill all 4 of his mugs with iced tea, and then off he went.

I still chuckle when I think about that.
That was nice of them to do that!
Anyway, I have many refillable mugs from past years, but never thought of bringing them anyway.

JerseyDad

Yeah, if you're paying that wholesale rate. However, sodas at WDW cost $2.99 a pop.

.....I was referencing the insane markup of raw product cost vs. charge to the guest. It'd be a cold day in Orlando before I paid $2.99 for a cup of soda....

You'll pay 18 bucks apiece for a mug, with unlimitted refills.
However, the machine only allows you to refill so much at a time. Meaning don't try to buy one mug and fill 4 paper cups up back at your table. The machine monitors the volume of soda you are receiving as well and will cut you off if you are obtaining too much product too rapidly. One lady next to me at the soda machine had a message on the screen telling her she had to wait 42 seconds to her next refill.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
However, the machine only allows you to refill so much at a time. Meaning don't try to buy one mug and fill 4 paper cups up back at your table. The machine monitors the volume of soda you are receiving as well and will cut you off if you are obtaining too much product too rapidly. One lady next to me at the soda machine had a message on the screen telling her she had to wait 42 seconds to her next refill.
I saw that, but when I used it that only applied to paper cups, not the mugs...and, yes, I purposefully tried to stress the system (it's in my nature...sorry)

Guess they changed that!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom