"New" Refillable Mugs.

JerseyDad

http://cheapskateprincess.com/2013/10/mugs/

To drink pop at disney is now expensive (especially to those like me who has always brought my mug). We now have to purchase the new mug each trip plus pay for the soda times the number of nights. So my January trip I am paying close to $40 for 5 nights. Ridiculous!

.....and THAT'S the reason we take (4) ....12 packs of Diet Coke with us ...and (2) ....12 packs of my favorite beers ....the beverage prices are insane. For the price of 2 domestic beers at a resort bar ...I can buy a 6 pack of import or micro-brews (aka ...good beer) ....and for the price of 2 cups of food court soda ....I get a 12 pack of Diet Coke or similar.

....we always got new mugs each trip ...mostly as part of some CS dining plan. This past trip ...we got in just before the RFID mugs went on sale ....and paid $15.49 each for 3 mugs. Next to last day before leaving ...RFID's showed up at the food court ...for the insane cost of $18 bucks!!

...of course ...had people not been unethical greedy thieves over the years and brought back mugs from earlier trips ...or their own 'mugs' that were bigger than a half gallon thermos ...this may have never come to pass.

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

Yes. You do. Mugs are only valid for the length of the current stay. That has always been the policy. It was posted on the mug ads and used to be posted on the drink machines themselves as well.

People were abusing it, so Disney introduced this system to combat that. They call it "Rapidfill"...
It actually hasn't always been the policy. Mugs bought back in the 90s were advertised as receiving free refills forever.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
It actually hasn't always been the policy. Mugs bought back in the 90s were advertised as receiving free refills forever.
I've read that before, and don't doubt it. No one has been able to provide any proof of that though. I do buy it as a concept, and even spent several hours a while back trying to find some proof for when these conversations come up (and because I find it intriguing).

But, all I could dig up are the old marquees and signs...like the old grab a mug sign where the policy is stated...

20110401polymugphoto1.jpg

I would love if someone could find a picture of the adverts from the 90s.

Disneykidder

We always get a new mug on every trip because you're not supposed to reuse the old ones. They were only valid for your length of stay. We have a large collection of mugs. We even have the resort specific mugs from the 90's.

disney4life2008

We always get a new mug on every trip because you're not supposed to reuse the old ones. They were only valid for your length of stay. We have a large collection of mugs. We even have the resort specific mugs from the 90's.

And do tell the checker at the grocery store that something is more expensive than what it rang up for Rose Nylund, LOL. Sorry had to do it :)

surfsupdon

I've read that before, and don't doubt it. No one has been able to provide any proof of that though. I do buy it as a concept, and even spent several hours a while back trying to find some proof for when these conversations come up (and because I find it intriguing).

But, all I could dig up are the old marquees and signs...like the old grab a mug sign where the policy is stated...

20110401polymugphoto1.jpg

I would love if someone could find a picture of the adverts from the 90s.

It wasn't at the food court beverage island. Those islands didn't exist back in the 90s.

For example, at Caribbean Beach in the mid 90s:

The mugs only came in a deep navy blue with the Caribbean Beach logo. They were wrapped in plastic wrap. Each Guest room had 4 mugs sitting on the in room table, with a little sign in front of them. It said to purchase a mug for $5.95 and enoy unlimited refills at Caribbean Beach, and only Caribbean Beach, forever (no mention of an ending). If you had the mug, it was always good at Caribbean Beach, and CMs in the food court really talked up what a great deal they were. Those early years, you could not buy one in the food court, b/c those mugs were a perk if you were paying to stay at the Resort, in a room.

Back then, each food court shop had its own unique menu, drinks, and cashier. You would have to wait in line, have them refill your mug, then be on your way from one of the counters.

In the mid 90s, they did build a small beverage island adjacent to the old Captain's Tavern in the center of the food court.

Then when Caribbean Beach closed post 9/11, it reopened with a revamped food court and a huge beverage island.

As I remember, the original navy mugs lasted till around '95. Afterwards, the mugs changed to a bunch of colors. We have yellow, black, aqua, green, original navy, pink, purple, and red. I'd say till '96, with confidence (b/c we have photo proof.) Then the mugs became commercialized and featured Little Mermaid characters for many, many years, with only lid/handle color changes. Then they went generic, lol.

We stayed at CBR every year from opening in 88 to '99, for our annual Easter vacation trip, for close to 10 days each. So we know that Resort of the 90s. So in conferencing with my family, the above details are correct. ;)

englanddg

One Little Spark...
It wasn't at the food court beverage island. Those islands didn't exist back in the 90s.

The mugs only came in a deep navy blue with the Caribbean Beach logo. They were wrapped in plastic wrap. Each Guest room had 4 mugs sitting on the in room table, with a little sign in front of them. It said to purchase a mug for $5.95 and enoy unlimited refills at Caribbean Beach, and only Caribbean Beach, forever (no mention of an ending). If you had the mug, it was always good at Caribbean Beach, and CMs in the food court really talked up what a great deal they were. Those early years, you could not buy one in the food court, b/c those mugs were a perk if you were paying to stay at the Resort, in a room.

Back then, each food court shop had its own unique menu, drinks, and cashier. You would have to wait in line, have them refill your mug, then be on your way from one of the counters.

In the mid 90s, they did build a small beverage island adjacent to the old Captain's Tavern in the center of the food court.

Then when Caribbean Beach closed post 9/11, it reopened with a revamped food court and a huge beverage island.

As I remember, the original navy mugs lasted till around '95. Afterwards, the mugs changed to a bunch of colors. We have yellow, black, aqua, green, original navy, pink, purple, and red. I'd say till '96, with confidence (b/c we have photo proof.) Then the mugs became commercialized and featured Little Mermaid characters for many, many years, with only lid/handle color changes. Then they went generic, lol.

We stayed at CBR every year from opening in 88 to '99, for our annual Easter vacation trip, for close to 10 days each. So we know that Resort of the 90s. So in conferencing with my family, the above details are correct. ;)
As I said, I never doubt the claims, I've just never been able to find any proof outside of people saying that was the policy (which, wouldn't suprise me one bit that it was)...that doesn't mean I don't believe them, it just means I would like to see a picture of the original placard / setup you are talking about.

We stayed offsite during those years, so outside of visiting and walking hotels (mostly Deluxe), I wouldn't have had any experience with it. My first onsite stay since the early 80s was in 2010.

Again, I know the tactic was very popular, especially in the 90s (we had the "refills for life" policy at CEC too for our Promo Cups...same concept). So, I don't doubt it. I'd just like to have see the proof and have it handy.

As a side note, I'd love to read a story about someone who brings a 20+ year old mug back to a resort and confronts management about their broken promise! Heck, I'd do it. Care to lend me one? <grin>

I liked how now when you try to fill a non-valid mug or cup the machine talks and says the cup cannot be filled and go speak to a cashier. People are embarrassed and walk away in a hurry. You know those are the people with old mugs or paper cups. HaHa!

surfsupdon

As I said, I never doubt the claims, I've just never been able to find any proof outside of people saying that was the policy (which, wouldn't suprise me one bit that it was)...that doesn't mean I don't believe them, it just means I would like to see a picture of the original placard / setup you are talking about.

We stayed offsite during those years, so outside of visiting and walking hotels (mostly Deluxe), I wouldn't have had any experience with it. My first onsite stay since the early 80s was in 2010.

Again, I know the tactic was very popular, especially in the 90s (we had the "refills for life" policy at CEC too for our Promo Cups...same concept). So, I don't doubt it. I'd just like to have see the proof and have it handy.

As a side note, I'd love to read a story about someone who brings a 20+ year old mug back to a resort and confronts management about their broken promise! Heck, I'd do it. Care to lend me one? <grin>

B/c my Nan keeps everything, she bought a mug for use, and an original navy blue mug for show, which is still in its plastiwrap on a bookshelf in her laundery room. Hahaha

Dwarful

It would be nice if they offered a discount sticker like they do at the water parks. Bring back your old mugs, buy length of stay stickers and use your old mugs...would be more environmentally friendly instead of buying loads of plastic mugs.

I don't really use the mugs at home. Well, I use one for coffee and that's it. The others don't hold much beverage when I fill it full of ice. I LOVE ICE! lol.

Mr_Incredible

Thank you.

That's pretty ridiculous. $72 for my family for one week just for plastic mugs? That we can't even bring back and use? All for soda?
True. Maybe for your family thats outlandish. But maybe someone is staying 14 days, and has 4 people, thats a steal. Its all about if its the right price for you. They arent making you pay for it. Price it out, like the dining plan, and see if it saves you money. If not, buy a paper cup. Or bring your own soda? Last trip in 2012 (September) we brought our own adult beverages (champagne, liquor, beer) and 2 lieters...The only reason we had refillable mugs were because they were free with free dining plan.

It may make sense to your family, it may not. Its like complaining that mini van prices are through the roof when your family only needs a cheaper sedan......just buy the cheaper sedan...and don't worry about the van prices.

disney4life2008

WOW you just reminded me of my first and only stay at CB in 1995 - it was fabulous. I loooved the food court and the menu's it was great. The last time I visited - it was the same menus at Sports like POP like Port Orleans. As you said everything is generic now.

disney4life2008

Thank you.

That's pretty ridiculous. $72 for my family for one week just for plastic mugs? That we can't even bring back and use? All for soda?

That is the problem with MM+ (understand this is also part of the MM+ plan). I can completely respect buying a single mug then they attach a new sticker on subsequent stays but to have to purchase a mug every trip on top of paying for the pop per night is ridiculous.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom