New premium spaces at the water parks - $250 a pop

sittle

Why does it always come to this anytime that Disney comes up with something special that the average starving college student (which many of us were at one time) can't afford. It has nothing to do with "the privileged". Quite a few of us reach a point in our lives where we can afford, see value in and will pay for convenience. Disney is merely making that convenience available to us at a fee. In spite of what many people think there is nothing wrong with working hard and enjoying the fruits of your labor. When you are the leader of a family of 5 and they look to you make sure everything goes right a $250 price tag to make that goal much easier is a pittance.

I couldn't agree more with Master Yoda anymore. There is a great value here, $250 might be worth it for certain families to take advantage of this offer. I can see the convenience of having to not worry about your belongings not worrying about squatters taking over your spot... I would imagine/assume that these spots have great views and some shade... To some people that alone may make it worthwhile...

Frankly, I think the fall back arguments that "deals like this are for "the privileged only" and "yet another way for Disney to extract money from it's customers" these arguments are getting very tired and worn out. Change the record people...

Walt Disney World exists to make money... The company exists in a free market system. Disney can choose how much money they wish to make, just like all of us can choose how much money we wish to make and how we can choose to spend it.

If this deal was exclusively for "the privileged" there would be a waiting list to use it and you can bet the price point for the rental would be much much higher....

This offer isn't about being privileged it's about value... A single mother of 2 (or 3 or 4) children might find spending a hard earned $250 to have someone essentially save her spot near the action and having drinks and fresh towels available would be worth the money if it meant her spending more time playing with her children in the water park. This has nothing to do with the wealthy elite, it has more to do with value.... Would you spend $250 to have fewer worries and spend more time with your children on your hard earned vacation?

IMO Club 33 would be considered for "the privileged", getting married in the Magic Kingdom would be for "the privileged"...

durangojim

It is a bit on the spendy side but I can see a value in it. The typically MO at the water parks is to get there hella early and stake your claim to a good spot and hope someone does not rip it out from under you if you don't post a guard 24/7. With this you pony up some coin and then it is easy sailing for the rest of the day. You have a spot, a locker, drinks and your own personal pool boy or girl and you can enjoy the day without the worry of possibly having to evict some 400 lb guy with body hair issues and a spedo off of your beach towel. The six mugs alone will cost you $60 locker rentals are another $3-$5 a piece. Subtract that out and the price for some peace of mind ain't so bad.

I don't have a problem with the idea and would probably only use it if 6 of us were going to TL together, which is rare. My biggest issue is that, as I read it, the cabannas (shacks) are still given out on a first come first serve basis. It would make much more sense to me if you could reserve the cabanna in advance and then plan your visit to TL accordingly.

bgraham34

That is not a bad idea at all. I have done something similar on a beach and I loved it. I paid $200 for up to 4 people and included alcohol and a personal attendant.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I don't have a problem with the idea and would probably only use it if 6 of us were going to TL together, which is rare. My biggest issue is that, as I read it, the cabannas (shacks) are still given out on a first come first serve basis. It would make much more sense to me if you could reserve the cabanna in advance and then plan your visit to TL accordingly.
I read it the same way. I was thinking that they might see how popular they are before they go through the trouble of putting them in the system. Hopefully you will be able to book them in advance in the near future.

71jason

Calling these "creative" is going a little too far - they did nothing more than rip the idea from the Miami hotels that do cabanas at the pools. It's nothing more than a VERY desperate bid by Disney to increase revenue at a time when its shrinking.

And as for appreciating it - you say that now - but when the *empty* premium spaces (and they will be empty - because I highly doubt there's that many families willing to fork over that money) makes it harder for you to find a spot at the water parks and ensues more fighting to stake a claim, you may rethink that.

While you're not wrong about Miami hotels, I think it's pretty clear WDW drew their inspiration from Aquatica, Sea World's water park, which opened with private cabanas last year. Aquatica's start at $150 for 4 (I guess 6 would be $200, cheaper but roughly comparable).

And in response to your second point, yes, they do sell out. As do the cabanas at the Grand. In fact, WDW were close to doing this at the Poly as well, but apparently balked at the construction price at the last minute. Seems insane to me, but some apparently see value in this.

dreamfinder

Personally I don't think it is any more extreme than offering tour guide services for $150 per hour, 7 hr minimum. Or whatever it is. Nor it is making WDW more privileged. I doubt these 24 chaises/chairs take up more than 30 or so regular spots, so it's not a huge loss. If they started charging for all chairs based on their location from the wave pool, then yes, they have made the water parks more privileged, but for now they are just adding a perk. Hopefully they take the cash from this to keep a good refurb schedule, or hire extra lifeguards, something like that instead of giving the executive who thought of it a bonus.

Thurp

Sea World's Aquatica has been doing this since they opened. The cabanas look nice and you get water, sodas, etc as well. It's more affordable at Aquatica, but it's a great idea either way. Definitely something to consider if you are hanging out all day at the park with some friends.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Anyone who makes more money than me is automatically privileged and undeserving of the luxuries they can afford (coincidentally, anyone who makes less than me is lazy and a drain on our society). Further, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, LLC is not a for-profit company!!, WDW is supposed to be a place of economic equality where all can enjoy the same things. Walt would not have wanted it this way!@!!!

.... :rolleyes:

In all seriousness, this sounds like a good idea. Nothing original or creative about it, but a nice service. I just hope some do avail themselves of the opportunity, otherwise it does become wasted space eating into the already limited beach space. So long as it fills up (for the most), I think it's a nice addition.
I read the first part of your post and about fell out of my chair... then saw ( :rolleyes: ) and laughed. I thought you were serious and I was struggling with how to respond :lol:

Why does it always come to this anytime that Disney comes up with something special that the average starving college student (which many of us were at one time) can't afford. It has nothing to do with "the privileged". Quite a few of us reach a point in our lives where we can afford, see value in and will pay for convenience. Disney is merely making that convenience available to us at a fee. In spite of what many people think there is nothing wrong with working hard and enjoying the fruits of your labor. When you are the leader of a family of 5 and they look to you make sure everything goes right a $250 price tag to make that goal much easier is a pittance.
This is true. I was on a budget like that once and spent $37 a night at a rat motel so i could go. I didnt hold it against those how stayed in a $400+ a night place.

Years later, we are fortunate that we can afford better quality places.

If you want it, go out and work you butt off for it. I just dont need the service... yet. 2 or 3 more kids later, sign me up.

Jimmy Thick

This is great news for me. Hopefully for 250 bucks this area is secluded from the general public a bit to enhance its value. A nice place to enjoy your stay away from the mobs sounds wonderful.

hardcard

went to Blizzard beach a couple of weeks ago and saw they building these... the ones I saw were elevated wooden deck areas... looked nice.

Brian Noble

Calling these "creative" is going a little too far - they did nothing more than rip the idea from the Miami hotels that do cabanas at the pools.
Yep, it's creative only if you've never been to another water park in your life. Cedar Point's water park, Soak City, has been doing this for at least five years now---though they're a lot less spendy there. Dollywood's Splash Country has had them for a long time too.

And as for appreciating it - you say that now - but when the *empty* premium spaces (and they will be empty - because I highly doubt there's that many families willing to fork over that money)
You don't need that many. You only need four per day. Finding four families out of the thousands that visit in a given day won't be that hard.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
I for one think this is a great ideal. Several times I have gone to the water parks with two other couples, so my cost would be only $83 plus change. I hope that they start making reservations for these ahead of time. If so sign be up for December.

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
I've utilized the private cabanas at Dollywood's Splash Country and loved it! Though it was much cheaper (like $40 for the day), it was well worth it. I'm actually surprised WDW hasn't thought of this sooner.

Jimmy Thick

If there is only 4 of these premium spaces, I don't see them never not being booked up. 250 dollars is not that much for the luxury it provides. Just stay at a value resort instead of a luxury for one day, and you have the fee right there.

jt04

went to Blizzard beach a couple of weeks ago and saw they building these... the ones I saw were elevated wooden deck areas... looked nice.

Yes, I'm sure the Disney version of these will be quite creative. And as some have stated, with a larger group they are a real bargain. I'm sure these are a bit of a test of the "market" and more will be added if these prove popular.

eagles

while the price may seem a bit high, i would use this perk. and most times i only have 1 child with me, sometimes 2 or 3. but just knowing i would have a spot, and drinks all day and hopefully someone to go get those drinks would be worth it to me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom