News New Polynesian Resort DVC villas building to open 2024

jimbojones

Coronado was not harmed- Gran Destino is a beautiful building that has added to the resort. Now they need a skyliner.
beauty is in the eye of the beholder as the saying goes. But for me that giant tower looming over everything feels oppressive, though I have no interest in high rise hotels when I am on vacation. They make me feel like I am just on another a business trip not on vacation. I used to love coronado, it felt like a small high end resort in Mexico, now the illusion is broken and I am fully aware that I am at just another Orlando hotel at all time, or a hotel at any overcrowded tourist destination. This is also why I love the poly, after dealing with the crowds at the parks we would end our day at a resort which felt like a small high end destination in the South Pacific.

For context WDW is the only busy touristy place I have any interest in visiting on vacation, otherwise what I like is getting away from crowds, traffic and urban architecture. So again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I like the 70s-90s pre DVC WDW era hotel resort aesthetic and design philosophy. Take that away and I might as well just stay at the Holiday Inn and save some money.

CaptainAmerica

beauty is in the eye of the beholder as the saying goes. But for me that giant tower looming over everything feels oppressive, though I have no interest in high rise hotels when I am on vacation. They make me feel like I am just on another a business trip not on vacation. I used to love coronado, it felt like a small high end resort in Mexico, now the illusion is broken and I am fully aware that I am at just another Orlando hotel at all time, or a hotel at any overcrowded tourist destination. This is also why I love the poly, after dealing with the crowds at the parks we would end our day at a resort which felt like a small high end destination in the South Pacific.

For context WDW is the only busy touristy place I have any interest in visiting on vacation, otherwise what I like is getting away from crowds, traffic and urban architecture. So again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I like the 70s-90s pre DVC WDW era hotel resort aesthetic and design philosophy. Take that away and I might as well just stay at the Holiday Inn and save some money.
The new Poly DVC building is going to be nowhere near the size of Gran Destino Tower.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Photos from today -

EFE565DE-F79C-47F1-BCAC-A08E693E6475.jpeg
C7821A75-C624-4024-8152-7E9B796CD6BF.jpeg
E595C6BD-F673-4BDE-B294-17F07DADC470.jpeg
73A9D47D-7414-4E55-8EFE-0C518CB5ECCA.jpeg
F5DCB84E-E805-4A02-A866-EBD54B3E9658.jpeg

castlecake2.0

I think building footprints always look smaller than you expect.
I thought it was going to pretty much touch one of the king houses but there seems to be a huge space between, maybe for a pool? I can’t find the blueprints. I know they’re somewhere in this thread but I gave up after going through about 30 pages. Anyone able to help?

James Alucobond

I thought it was going to pretty much touch one of the king houses but there seems to be a huge space between, maybe for a pool? I can’t find the blueprints. I know they’re somewhere in this thread but I gave up after going through about 30 pages. Anyone able to help?
I posted it here, though it probably showed up earlier in the thread too. The new pool will be near Tuvalu and Fiji.

UNCgolf

I feel sorry for anyone trying to get married at the Wedding Pavilion in the next two years.

Or ever from now on, really.

I'm sure the construction will be the worst noise pollution by far, but the concept art shows outdoor seating and activities up against the lake outside the new DVC building, which will only be a few hundred feet from the pavilion. It's not going to be quiet.

Last edited:

James Alucobond

Or ever from now on, really.

I'm sure the construction will be the worst noise pollution by far, but the concept art shows outdoor seating and activities up against the lake outside the new DVC building, which will only be a few hundred feet from the pavilion. It's not going to be quiet.
I get the impression that they intend most of the action to be contained to the new square courtyard formed by Tuvalu, Fiji, Aotearoa, and the far end of the new building, with a bit extending to the patio just beyond where the circular pergola is planned. The concept art actually shows no one down at the pavilion's end, and it doesn't look like there's room for anything at that corner other than a path based on the site plan.

UNCgolf

I get the impression that they intend most of the action to be contained to the new square courtyard formed by Tuvalu, Fiji, Aotearoa, and the far end of the new building, with a bit extending to the patio just beyond where the circular pergola is planned. The concept art actually shows no one down at the pavilion's end, and it doesn't look like there's room for anything at that corner other than a path based on the site plan.

That's still only like 600 feet from the pavilion, though. Not right next to it, but if a lot of people are outside talking, laughing, etc. sound will still carry -- especially since water generally amplifies sound. If it's just a few scattered people chatting, it's not going to be an issue. If they have activities for kids etc., there's the possibility of a problem.

Plus, the concept art looks like they may have seating down near the shore in front of the building, which could only be 300-400 feet away from the pavilion. That said, there's unlikely to be enough people there to ever create any concern.

I'm not saying it's going to be a major problem like the construction, but there's the potential for disruption depending on what exactly they do there.

Last edited:

EPCOT-O.G.

That's still only like 600 feet from the pavilion, though. Not right next to it, but if a lot of people are outside talking, laughing, etc. sound will still carry -- especially since water generally amplifies sound. If it's just a few scattered people chatting, it's not going to be an issue. If they have activities for kids etc., there's the possibility of a problem.

Plus, the concept art looks like they may have seating down near the shore in front of the building, which could only be 300-400 feet away from the pavilion. That said, there's unlikely to be enough people there to ever create any concern.

I'm not saying it's going to be a major problem like the construction, but there's the potential for disruption depending on what exactly they do there.
How costly will this be in the long term?

UNCgolf

How costly will this be in the long term?

Maybe not at all? It just depends on what exactly they're doing out there.

If it actually is disruptive to the wedding pavilion and costs them wedding business, I imagine they'd quickly put an end to anything happening at the DVC that was causing the disruption. They make too much money off of weddings.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom