News New Polynesian Resort DVC villas building to open 2024

jimbojones

Late to the party on this but ugh, they are ruining another great resort with this tower. It completely changes the aesthetic and theme of the poly, which was my favorite resort. Any sort of tower among the low old long house style buildings just does not fit at all. Add to that the architecture that does not blend at all and it is a mess.

At least Animal Kingdom lodge still is an intact themed resort..... for now at least. I used to be the person who said it was always better to stay on property. The un themeing of the resorts making them all into Holiday Inns is making it a total waste to stay at what used to be amazing themed properties.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Late to the party on this but ugh, they are ruining another great resort with this tower. It completely changes the aesthetic and theme of the poly, which was my favorite resort. Any sort of tower among the low old long house style buildings just does not fit at all. Add to that the architecture that does not blend at all and it is a mess.
It is not "among" the longhouses. From 8 of the 11 buildings, plus half of the remaining 3 buildings, plus the Great Ceremonial House, plus both pools, you won't even see it. You can go for a whole trip at the Poly without knowing that the new tower even exists. It will be no more intrusive on the existing resort than Seven Dwarfs Mine Train is intrusive on Tomorrowland.

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of January 11, 2023. Drilling for foundation pilings continues.

IMG_3838.JPG

IMG_3841.JPG

The one lone palm tree remains on site at the southern end of the property.

IMG_3842.JPG

todd23

At least Animal Kingdom lodge still is an intact themed resort..... for now at least. I used to be the person who said it was always better to stay on property. The un themeing of the resorts making them all into Holiday Inns is making it a total waste to stay at what used to be amazing themed properties.
It isn't as intact with the new apartment complex almost touching the Kidani Village entry road.

Disstevefan1

Correction, it’s called Polyday inn 😉
BEDA1AA2-5296-47BE-BC25-B9E020DFE5D9.png

JohnD

It is not "among" the longhouses. From 8 of the 11 buildings, plus half of the remaining 3 buildings, plus the Great Ceremonial House, plus both pools, you won't even see it. You can go for a whole trip at the Poly without knowing that the new tower even exists. It will be no more intrusive on the existing resort than Seven Dwarfs Mine Train is intrusive on Tomorrowland.
I have to admit, he does have a point as viewed from the monorail. You see the longhouses then an nice view of SSL before approaching GF. After construction, it will be the Polyday Inn which is the view.

Bocabear

I find it hard to believe they are going to have this finished and open by 2024...especially since it takes many years for them to get anything finished. it was anounced 10 months ago...

Disstevefan1

I find it hard to believe they are going to have this finished and open by 2024...especially since it takes many years for them to get anything finished. it was anounced 10 months ago...
There is direct new income riding on this, that’s why. It’s part of the DVC money making machine.

Attractions don’t make money especially when folks show up no matter what the offerings.

Maybe they will take workers off Moana to finish this. After all, folks only show up to EPCOT for the food booths anyway 😉

cranbiz

If it will make them gobs of money, it will get built fast. DVC is a cash cow. New attractions are not. This will make the proposed 2024 opening.

ToTBellHop

As they’ve shown with the Grand, if this needs to open without functioning toilets and with trash bags as temporary windows, so be it. They can finish the project in 2025 and we will put up with the Detroit Days Inn look next year. It will have things Detroit doesn’t have—fireworks views (*from select rooms) and Moana’s Magical Rooftop Dole Whip Party for $199/guest!

tired_photog

F1A5FC0B-38FF-4713-9F26-3227B51C9978.jpeg

If you want an example of how fast they can build DVC take a look at the rapid progress on the new DVC tower at Disneyland Hotel. It seems to be pretty similar in size to the Poly tower. They began clearing ground in April ‘21 and it is scheduled to open later this year.

📸: disneygeek.com

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I think a lot of you guys have some mega nostalgia-tinted glasses on for the existing Polynesian buildings. The place is rough. It looks like if you could distill the smell of menthol cigarettes into a physical place. The grounds are beautiful but the guest rooms and the lobby are held together with duct tape and pixie dust. They had a good run but 50 years have taken their toll.

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

I think a lot of you guys have some mega nostalgia-tinted glasses on for the existing Polynesian buildings. The place is rough. It looks like if you could distill the smell of menthol cigarettes into a physical place. The grounds are beautiful but the guest rooms and the lobby are rough. They had a good run but 50 years have taken their toll.
It’s the Waldorf Astoria with torches, you monster! Stop attacking my memories!

castlecake2.0

I think a lot of you guys have some mega nostalgia-tinted glasses on for the existing Polynesian buildings. The place is rough. It looks like if you could distill the smell of menthol cigarettes into a physical place. The grounds are beautiful but the guest rooms and the lobby are rough. They had a good run but 50 years have taken their toll.
I would have preferred this new build to have taken the place of the GCH. Or build it in the parking lot in front, make it the new main building. The current GCH is holding it together but underbuilt for todays needs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom