New Points Adjustments for 2010

ZapperZ

Original Poster
Not sure if everyone has read the DVC News online, but did you notice the new points adjustments for all DVC resorts in 2010? In the hope of getting more weekend stays, they've lowered the number of points for Fri. and Sat. nights stay, but increase the Sun-Thu. stay. Their claim is that the amount required for a week's stay will still be the same, or changes only by a miniscule amount, which is true.

I did a quick calculation on how that would affect the number of points I would need based on my travel pattern. I've done both weekend to weekend stay, and mid-week to mid-week stay. As I had expected, the weekend to weekend stay will incur less points in 2010, while the weekday to weekday stay will cost more points. While weekday to weekday stay will still cost less, the difference in points between that and the weekend to weekend stay will be less in 2010.

Zz.

MaxsDad

Friends,

I am having a real problem logging into member site, and two calls to member services have still not gotten me in. Can someone please post a chart, or perhaps just some weekday point figures so I can compare, say a studio at AKV Value/Stdrd/Sav/Club in May.

Thanks!

jeffk410

hm

wonder if it has anything to do with rci joining. I am a rci owner and am now available to try and get AKL and old key west, and boardwalk now. But im sure it would be hard. Also im probably 100 percent wrong, but just throwing ideas out there haha

DisneyPhD

Hi MaxsDad
Studio (weekday/weekend/week)in May is
Value (10 / 16 / 82)
Standard (11 / 18 / 91 )
Sav(15 / 22 / 119)
club(17 / 26 / 137)

MKCP 1985

Part of the sales pitch was "the points will never go up. Only the maintenance fees."

That's good news for weekenders in 2010 though. No doubt. But here's the catch: For new members buying in 2009 based on the new points chart for 2010, when the economy gets better, DVC may switch it back to increase points for weekend stays and those new members may find that they didn't purchase enough points for their weekend stays in future years (after being told the points requirement will never go up) :fork: And now there is a precedent for them changing the number of points required for any particular night of the week stay.

scorp111

Part of the sales pitch was "the points will never go up. Only the maintenance fees."

That's good news for weekenders in 2010 though. No doubt. But here's the catch: For new members buying in 2009 based on the new points chart for 2010, when the economy gets better, DVC may switch it back to increase points for weekend stays and those new members may find that they didn't purchase enough points for their weekend stays in future years (after being told the points requirement will never go up) :fork: And now there is a precedent for them changing the number of points required for any particular night of the week stay.

I bought in 07, and was clearly told that the points could be reallocated by either days of the weekend and/or by seasons (either more seasons or the movement of seasons). They did say that the total number of points stayed equal, which appears is the case with the current changes.

MKCP 1985

I bought in 07, and was clearly told that the points could be reallocated by either days of the weekend and/or by seasons (either more seasons or the movement of seasons). They did say that the total number of points stayed equal, which appears is the case with the current changes.

That's good to hear. I went through this process recently, took my time, had numerous conversations over the phone and in person with DVC sales staff, read a book and watched a DVD, and at the end of all that, obviously didn't understand the program as clearly as I thought I did. That is a bit alarming to me since I consider myself to be reasonably intelligent and an educated person.

My conclusion is that to be a new DVC purchaser, one should be (1) wealthier and (2) smarter than I am. :p

DisneyPhD

I went back and checked a few of our first DVC trips in 2003 and 2004 would cost 5-10 more points according to the 2010 points chart but many of those had extra Su-Th nights or were exclusively those nights. As our kids are getting older we are taking them out of school less often but we are going for an extra weekend night and so the new point arrangement will actually save us a couple of points in the future.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom