News New Pirates of the Caribbean-themed lounge

peng

Pirates lounge? Rumored Haunted Mansion restaurant? Seems like a a return to classic form and fan service. IP-free restaurants and embracing classic attractions, huge wins, even if the projects are small, they extrapolate towards a broader attitude that makes me optimistic.
They're both IPs these days, but this feels like a win, helps that it seems to be based more on the ride than the movies.

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
Pirates lounge? Rumored Haunted Mansion restaurant? Seems like a a return to classic form and fan service. IP-free restaurants and embracing classic attractions, huge wins, even if the projects are small, they extrapolate towards a broader attitude that makes me optimistic.
Exactly.

Shoehorned IPs are the problem. From Frozen: Ever After to the Blue Sky plans last year for Zootopia.

Pandora, among others, is not the problem, and in my view can often enhance the experience so long as the IP is more about the worldbuilding and thematically fits than just saying "look at this IP" like Avenger's Campus does.

As long as we still get Pirates/Haunted Mansion restaurants and a Test Track redo for every few IP projects, and they are designed to fit, I'm very excited.

Tony Baxter literally said the test for using IPs was basically summed up as if your idea would feel second-rate to the real thing it's probably better to use an in-house or licensed IP. Indiana Jones Adventure was chosen for this reason as it would've been what any "adventure" genre ride would be compared to, and thus was able to improve the experience from the tone, to the music, to authenticity.

I genuinely think this Destination D23, while perhaps not on the level of announcements they should be making, is a huge step in the right direction away from the garbage mandates of Chapek onto something a bit more balanced and most definitely respectful to the parks as an artform.

Magenta Panther

I doubt this good idea will be well-executed, given the state of Imagineering these days. But it IS a good idea. Ideally, the tavern will have live actors from time to time who portray pirates like Jack Sparrow and Redd. If the food is good (another big IF), then this place might be worth visiting.

MagicHappens1971

I think I've ordered maybe 1 drink maybe ever at a theme park. Freedom of choice is a good thing, even if it's overpriced and watered down.

I will never understand why people care so much what other people do.
It’s not always watered down. Some of those premade cocktails may be, but Disney has a plethora of full bars with free poured cocktails and bartenders with heavy hands.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom