New Pirates Lyrics!

Max Smart

Original Poster
Well, they changed the Pirates ride in favor of being "PC" again. No longer do they "kidnap,ravage, and don't give a hoot". The replacement scene should be accompanied by changing those lyrics to "we go antiquing, and enable problem drinking". At least they didn't add any more Captain Jack Sparrows this time.

eliza61nyc

So what did they replace it with? Are they really saying they go "antiquing". I'll have to pay attention when I'm there in 11 days.

Whats wrong with Jack Sparrow?? I enjoy the POTC movies and loved that character?

Last edited:

mergatroid

So what did they replace it with? Are they really saying they go "antiquing". I'll have to pay attention when I'm there in 11 days.

Whats wrong with Jack Sparrow?? I enjoy the POTC movies and loved that character?

Some on here don't like how he was shoehorned into an attraction they felt was great already without him. I guess they felt it was 'dumbing down' the attraction to accommodate the Captain Jack Sparrow character?

Personally to me, whilst he doesn't really add anything he also doesn't take anything away from it either. I think there's loads who love the addition and those who don't perhaps have to accept that not everyone likes the same thing and changes happen as time moves on.

Kitchandro

Some on here don't like how he was shoehorned into an attraction they felt was great already without him. I guess they felt it was 'dumbing down' the attraction to accommodate the Captain Jack Sparrow character?

Personally to me, whilst he doesn't really add anything he also doesn't take anything away from it either. I think there's loads who love the addition and those who don't perhaps have to accept that not everyone likes the same thing and changes happen as time moves on.

For me, when you've got something so influential and iconic, it's important to stay as true to the original as possible. The thing that is so brilliant about POTC is how old it is and that Walt and the original imagineers were behind it.

Putting Jack Sparrow in was simply an attempt to cash in on the films success. it's one of those things that will impress children because they have no knowledge of the original ride and don't realise the film was based on it. And for this reason, not only was it unnecessary, it was insulting to the original makers of the ride whose great work inspired the film in the first place.

As you admit, he doesn't really add anything. Change is fine, but only if it improves something. The changes to POTC since the film was made have clearly diminished the ride's quality, the mermaid singing being a horrendous addition that certainly does take away from that scene.

mergatroid

For me, when you've got something so influential and iconic, it's important to stay as true to the original as possible. The thing that is so brilliant about POTC is how old it is and that Walt and the original imagineers were behind it.

Putting Jack Sparrow in was simply an attempt to cash in on the films success. it's one of those things that will impress children because they have no knowledge of the original ride and don't realise the film was based on it. And for this reason, not only was it unnecessary, it was insulting to the original makers of the ride whose great work inspired the film in the first place.

As you admit, he doesn't really add anything. Change is fine, but only if it improves something. The changes to POTC since the film was made have clearly diminished the ride's quality, the mermaid singing being a horrendous addition that certainly does take away from that scene.

That's fair enough as it's your view. I really don't see it as an insult to the creators of the original, but you do so that's fair enough. I've been going on it for over 40 years and don't think it's ruined, I do however believe that kids like it more with Jack Sparrow in it.

The problem Disney maybe had was once they'd made the film, Captain Jack Sparrow became a huge success and was therefore associated with it. At that point kids would expect to see him and be disappointed where he not in the ride. So it's either disappoint the kids by him not being there, or potentially disappoint the older ones by adding him in. At the end of the day Disney probably thought the adults would understand more and made their choice.

FettFan

"Mommy, why are the Pirates dropping that man into the well?"
DSC_1443.jpg

"Well, he stinks, so they are giving him a bath. His wife is screaming "Don't be a chicken" because he's afraid of water!"

"Mommy, are the Pirates stealing all that stuff and then burning down the town?"
DSC_0573.jpg

"No, dear....they're actually SAVING the stuff from getting burned! See that guy with all the hats? He's trying to help his friend who owns the hat shop!"

Max Smart

Original Poster
The red-head is now a pirate, who is shouting encouragements for them to sell the other pirates rum. And there is a line of pirates carrying antique-shop-like junk.

I love POTC movies too.
The original ride was an amazing and imaginative piece of artwork - and they sort of piggy-backed the movie on the ride's populatity - quite cleverly - by having the original dioramas from the ride appear in the movie, and reproducing the silly character of the ride. (rumors are that the POTC movie originally started with nothing to do with the ride, until Disney bought it from Lucas and branded it; but even if this isn't true, the fact is undeniable that the movie drew from the original artwork)
Changing every single scene in the ride to capitalize on the merchandising potential of Depp's character was quite a disappointing move - instead of being about flamboyant piratey mischief (sort of a dark humor, really, as most of the pirate activities being caricatured are really horrible things), the ride suddenly resembled another merchandising machine for a movie franchise.
Why do (some people) find this offensive? It's like if the Italian ministry of culture made a movie about the life of Jesus, and made scenes in the movie mirror famous artwork - then they go back and paint other popular aspects from the movie into DaVinci's "Last Supper" painting to boost the movie's DVD and merchandise sales.

KrisKid

What I don't understand is why the mayor of the town (who is getting dunked) is protecting Jack Sparrow. Jack's a pirate too!! Why would this town want to hide him? Why would this town suffer bombardment and a pirate raid just to protect another pirate?

Bender123

What I don't understand is why the mayor of the town (who is getting dunked) is protecting Jack Sparrow. Jack's a pirate too!! Why would this town want to hide him? Why would this town suffer bombardment and a pirate raid just to protect another pirate?

This is the main reason fans of the ride hate the addition of Sparrow. It takes, the already nerfed, story of the Disneyland version makes the narrative virtually incomprehensible. We went from the cursed pirates, flashing back in time (the descent in darkness) into a pirate attack on a city/looting/burning/finding the treasure that caused the curse.

Now its cursed pirates, an attack to find Sparrow (being protected by somebody who should giv him up to get the pirates out of the town), pirates having an auction of stuff they just stole (and ignoring the reason they came...except that one pirate who rambles about it...Sparrow still hiding), Burning the city and ignoring they are looking for a map made out of a flammable material, Sparrow celebrating finding the cursed treasure (which doesn't seem to affect him at all).

the narrative is gone. Its just a bunch of scenes now that make no sense when assembled into a story.

Goofyernmost

This is the main reason fans of the ride hate the addition of Sparrow. It takes, the already nerfed, story of the Disneyland version makes the narrative virtually incomprehensible. We went from the cursed pirates, flashing back in time (the descent in darkness) into a pirate attack on a city/looting/burning/finding the treasure that caused the curse.

Now its cursed pirates, an attack to find Sparrow (being protected by somebody who should giv him up to get the pirates out of the town), pirates having an auction of stuff they just stole (and ignoring the reason they came...except that one pirate who rambles about it...Sparrow still hiding), Burning the city and ignoring they are looking for a map made out of a flammable material, Sparrow celebrating finding the cursed treasure (which doesn't seem to affect him at all).
the narrative is gone. Its just a bunch of scenes now that make no sense when assembled into a story.
Wow, that is what you got out of the ride? Where is that story line spelled out? I don't remember hearing officially about what it was depicting anymore then the original was a real depiction of pirates taking over a village. It is all the fantasy of Imagineers. It isn't real, it's just fantasy. Whether or not Jack is in it has absolutely no bearing on the ride other then to included a known character in to make it more relatable to people that enjoyed the movie. It was plussed by adding it, it was brought up to date by including Jack plus the other things that were also added at the time. In reference to the auction scene, does anyone really believe that a pirate would sit quietly and spend there gold on women that all they had to do was grab? Come on folks, get a grip. It is a cartoon acted out by AA's. There is nothing in it other then the word pirate, that has any real historic reality to it.

Bender123

Wow, that is what you got out of the ride? Where is that story line spelled out? I don't remember hearing officially about what it was depicting anymore then the original was a real depiction of pirates taking over a village. It is all the fantasy of Imagineers. It isn't real, it's just fantasy. Whether or not Jack is in it has absolutely no bearing on the ride other then to included a known character in to make it more relatable to people that enjoyed the movie. It was plussed by adding it, it was brought up to date by including Jack plus the other things that were also added at the time. In reference to the auction scene, does anyone really believe that a pirate would sit quietly and spend there gold on women that all they had to do was grab? Come on folks, get a grip. It is a cartoon acted out by AA's. There is nothing in it other then the word pirate, that has any real historic reality to it.

Its literally the story Disney provides...This is the same story that has been in place since the ride was built. We can disagree with how well the plot comes across via the show, but the idea of it havingthis narrative is well documented.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...-parks-storytelling-pirates-of-the-caribbean/

Goofyernmost

Its literally the story Disney provides...This is the same story that has been in place since the ride was built. We can disagree with how well the plot comes across via the show, but the idea of it havingthis narrative is well documented.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...-parks-storytelling-pirates-of-the-caribbean/
OK, I've never seen that, but, even if true, does it really matter if that is the story line since it is fabricated by imagineers and applied to a cartoon ride? It has no basis of truth so no matter what story line they use, it amounts to the same thing. I've been riding that thing since 1983, I have never recognized any particular story line other then pirates and didnt' ever need one. I saw a bunch of comical scenes with pirates, some dead in the beginning and some partying in the middle and end and that was that. I never sat there and sequenced the scenes to connect with any story line. No, Jack was not in it originally, but, even now, his being there is just a side story within this alleged story. It has no relevance other then to upgrade, I don't see where it hurt a thing, in fact, the inclusion of a new modern AA actually enhanced it. Seems like a lot of people have a very uptight imagination that needs rigid borders in order to make sense. I say, nothing about the ride needs to be taken that seriously. It has remained completely true to its "imaginary" Pirate pillaging story with no real change to that basic premise.

Goofyernmost

That's fair enough as it's your view. I really don't see it as an insult to the creators of the original, but you do so that's fair enough. I've been going on it for over 40 years and don't think it's ruined, I do however believe that kids like it more with Jack Sparrow in it.

The problem Disney maybe had was once they'd made the film, Captain Jack Sparrow became a huge success and was therefore associated with it. At that point kids would expect to see him and be disappointed where he not in the ride. So it's either disappoint the kids by him not being there, or potentially disappoint the older ones by adding him in. At the end of the day Disney probably thought the adults would understand more and made their choice.
They don't get a lot older then me and I am not disappointed at all. I think it is far better then the original. The new auction scene is kind of an assault on the nostalgia gene, but, there is nothing basically different or wrong. Chickens or women, from what is depicted about "real" pirates, they wouldn't have paid for any of those things. So fantasy at its best.

eliza61nyc

They don't get a lot older then me and I am not disappointed at all. I think it is far better then the original. The new auction scene is kind of an assault on the nostalgia gene, but, there is nothing basically different or wrong. Chickens or women, from what is depicted about "real" pirates, they wouldn't have paid for any of those things. So fantasy at its best.

Lol. That's what I keep thinking. I mean people realize the ride is not a PBS documentary right??

Max Smart

Original Poster
There was middle ground to be had - add in Jack Sparrow, but don't re-do EVERY SINGLE SCENE to revolve around him. It is quite silly the way it turned out. They did spare one classic scene - the prisoners trying to lure the dog carrying the key. I'm surprised they didn't replace the whistling with "hey boy, go get Captain Jack Sparrow (TM)!"

KBLovedDisney

There was middle ground to be had - add in Jack Sparrow, but don't re-do EVERY SINGLE SCENE to revolve around him. It is quite silly the way it turned out. They did spare one classic scene - the prisoners trying to lure the dog carrying the key. I'm surprised they didn't replace the whistling with "hey boy, go get Captain Jack Sparrow (TM)!"
lolnada.org-1499304530083.gif

FettFan

What curse? There was never a "curse" in the ride.

Basically....you go through the caverns then travel back in time to Hispaniola, where the town is being attacked by pirates. The journey ended when the pirates successfully captured the armory and treasury and tied up the Spanish guards.
Then they got drunk and were talking celebratory pot shots at each other.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom