New Pin Trader Questions

IWant2GoNow

Original Poster
Alright, so the bug finally bit me after all these years. I've decided to try collecting pins. :lookaroun I bought a small lot of 20 random pins through a trusted eBay seller to get me started. However I have some questions...

Concerning pin trading with CMs, how does it start? Are you supposed to approach them or do they approach you?

Are CMs willing to part with pretty much any of their pins or do they hold on to a lot of their personal faves?

And has anyone bought big lots of pins on eBay only to get a terrible assortment of pins?

Thanks for any help/info. I get addicted to collecting things quite easily so I'm sure this will be a huge money pit for the next 40 years. :lol:

MissM

You simply ask any CM to see their lanyard. If there's something you like, you ask to trade. You hand them any one of your valid pins with the pin back on it from your hand to their hand. They will take off the pin you want from their lanyard, and hand it to you with the pin back on it.

CM lanyards are WDW owned pins. They will ALWAYS trade with you. The only exception is any lanyard that is green is reserved for trading with children only.

Pin lots on ebay are hit-and-miss because a lot of pins are unauthorized duplicates from China. Unfortunately, there are dozens of pins which are illegally made and sold into the market at a very cheap price and it can make it tough to know if you have a authentic pin or not. (Most fakes look almost identical and CM's won't know they are fake but it's a little unfair to knowingly trade a fake pin no matter how good a knockoff it is since the person who would then trade for it back off the CM lanyard is getting a fake.)

Sadly, the only way to know 100% for sure that a pin is authentic is to buy it from Disney directly. Other then that, you take your chances.

Pin trading is addictive but fun! Before you know it, you'll be building up a crazy collection! :D

IWant2GoNow

Original Poster
^

Thanks so much for the tips! Glad to hear I won't be trying to pry away a pin from CMs. Haha. I figured that any would be up for grabs, but I definitely wanted to make sure. I'm really hoping that I'm not being bamboozled by eBay. I decided to only get 20 at $1.10 each, just in case they are fakes, but if some of the fakes are made so real... I'd feel bad trading them with CMs and other traders. :(

DisneyPinDad

Welcome to the fun!!

Regarding EBay lots - one way to be somewhat sure is to check the seller's feedback (you likely knew that) and another is to look at what the description says the "lot" contains. If it mixes LE, HM or Cast pins (LE-Ltd. Edition, HM-Hidden Mickey) with others, then it might be less likely to be junk.

I have bought a number of lots over the past 6 years without problems. In fact, I tend now to by 10% more than I think I will need, since we end up keeping a pin or 2 out of the lot.

And just a plug for something I try to do on every trip. I keep one "cool" pin on my vest (with all my traders) and if I strike up a conversation with a family where the kids are new to trading, I will give them the "cool" pin without a trade. Just a way to spread the fun around and keep it exciting.

Remember - collect what you like, and like what you collect!!:wave:

stlbobby

The green lanyards are reserved for kids, but the CM's are told not to reject trades from anyone. I don't even look because I know I'll want something, but if I do find something I have to have I ask a kid standing around if he'll make the trade for me and give him a pin for the service.

I've had several good experiences buying pins on ebay, and often the sellers will gear their grab bags in a certain direction is you let them know what you like.

Figments Friend

Some really good advice here.

Welcome to the crazy world of Pin Trading! Woo! I love it!

I will share my Pin Starting story...

I was the last person i thought would get into this 'Pin Thing'..back when it was first launched in 99'/00'. I would walk around in EPCOT and see all these carts selling these 'collectible pins' and scratch my head going "Huh?". When i would book trips with the Walt Disney Travel Company i would always recieve a free lanyard and a starter pin ( or two). I have to admit this is what got me started ... way to go Marketing! :animwink:

I started to buy a few to add to said lanyards just to keep for myself....usually character pins. Once i became more comfortable with the concept of trading i started to trade with CMs. I was shy, and it took a lot to make that first step to ask if one would trade....but i did it and i was HOOKED but good soon after. I still remember my 1st Trade - outside of JII, for a cool WDTC Sorcerer Mickey pin which i still have.

After that i started to trade with CMs all the time...every visit. It adds up to a lot of $$$ though...as you have to keep buying pins to be able to keep trading, since you end up keeping a lot of what you find! Yeah, it is now a engrossing addiction...and i never thought it would happen to me.

People, usually Non-Disney Park folk, will ask me- "Why so many pins?". Well, part of the appeal of Pin Trading for me i discovered was the STORIES and MEMORIES associated with each and every pin. You remember the CM, or the circumstances, of each trade. It really makes the trading a big plus when visiting the Parks..to me anyway. I rarely trade with Guests...they never seen interested in the stuff i have up for trade ( off the rack, contemporary offerings mostly..) so almost exclusively trade with CMs. They have neater stuff anyway...you just never know what you will find out there!

That is the other part of the fun - the HUNT! Talk about excitiing...you get a buzz when you find a pin you have been looking for to complete a set you have, or a rare character nobody seems to recognize but you. It is a treat to look around and see what is 'out there' and up for grabs on the CMs. The best pins are on the Management lanyards ( as they are not out as often as front line CMs tend to be..). Some REAL gems to be had there!

So have a blast...and collect characters, Parks, or attraction pins you like!

About eBay purchases- Heed the advice above by the other posters. To date i have never had any issues, and have always recieved authentic DTPs...but you have to trust the seller. Check their feedback rating. Descriptions matter too....be wary of any general listings, an example being - 'Cool metal Disney Pin suitable for trading' with no other info is usually a fake. Try to buy from someone with a 100% or 99% feedback percentage and you should be okay. Trust your gut instincts...if it seems to be far to good of a bargin, it probably is not genuine. A few years ago their was a real problem with fakes ..beware of the dreaded 'Sedesma' brand!

I find pin lots to be a good buy, as you end up paying less per peice then you would buying them in the Parks. Any you do not like you can trade away...just be sure they are authentic Disney Trading Pins however. Never trade a 'fake' pin with a CM as it will end up being traded away to a Guest. Bad Show!

Have fun...and enjoy the variety!!

:wave:

IWant2GoNow

Original Poster
Thanks everyone! I definitely feel better about my eBay purchase now seeing as the seller has 100% feedback and a LOT of buyers. I agree that buying these random lots for cheap are the best way. I figure out of those 20 pis I get there might be 2 or 3 that I'll actually want to keep and then I'll just trade the rest. I can't wait to start! I'm hoping I can get some LE Star Wars pins since I'll be down there during Star Wars Weekends this June. I really like the "Then & Now" series too. I'm a little more prepared now thanks to you guys. :) Thanks to everyone! If anyone else has any helpful tips on finding rare or LE pins throughout the parks let me know.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom