New photopass service/package

dreamscometrue

We may never buy this package ( we always do the pre order though), but it's nice that they are offering this. It's always good to have more options.

Annielkd

They do have a photo person at BBB. But BBB also sells a package that you pay extra for to get the photo's. So I am wondering since I am paying extra for the Photopass + package if I will get those BBB pictures. Do you think there is someone I could call to ask? Just don't want to get it and have it not be completly what I thought and have everything included in what I was hoping for.

I didn't see it listed. I don't know who you could ask. Why don't you just call Disney and ask who you could talk to... I'll bet they could direct you to a number :)

dreamfinder

Each year when I've gone to Disney they have a person at the water parks, and they give you a wrist band photopass thing. You said you could use differnt photo passes, I'm not trying to be an idiot but:
1. Next week when I'm at disney, do I need to decide ahead of time to purchase the package?
2. If they do have photographers at the water parks, can that be added to the package?
3. My husband and I are talking about this because we always purchace rides at the major attractions that add up and now are included...All the photo stops will still be included... right?

We used this the first year we went and ended up doing character greetings and all kinds of things... it's been 5 years, it's time for an upgrade ;)

It depends on what package you are referring to. Technically the PhotoPass CD and the PhotoPass+ service are two different things. The PhotoPass CD can also be purchased as part of a package that includes a photo book.

As of now, you can either pre purchase the PhotoPass CD or CD/book combo in advance. You do get cost savings by doing so. Or you can purchase them after the fact. Either works. If you prepurchase they put a credit on your account for the full cost. And then when you finish your edits and either use the credit, or pay full price, every picture on your account gets burnt to disc or provided for download. You can add as many photopass cards/numbers to your account prior to the checkout that you want/need/have and they will all end up on your cd. Cards from the water parks, and any actual Photopass photographer in the parks can be added to the account and will be on the cd.

The Photopass+ service is a fancy photopass card that tells the staff you can claims any of the listed ride/dining pictures without having to pay the extra charge. You are basically paying $199 for a magic PhotoPass+ card. As part of that purchase price, they are giving you a credit for the normal PhotoPass CD. So you can add as many normal PhotoPass numbers to your account that you want, and then also add the magic PhotoPass+ card to get the pictures that are only for PhotoPass+.

I don't know if the retrieval system for the ride/dining pictures works the same as for the normal Photopass. And I don't think anyone will until it actually goes live and people start to report back. But I don't think it will be. It's alot easier to identify someone when you can see their entire body in a group, but on pics of say Space Mountain, all you can see on some people will be their arms and head.
I'd be inclined to say to buy the PhotoPass+ service as soon as you can. That way when you hit up that first ride/meal that is compatible, you can get the pics added.

dreamscometrue

I have an honest question. I have never purchased a Photopass CD because every time I have a Photopass picture taken, I ask the photographer to take one with my own camera as well. Obviously I can't do that for the ride photos, but putting that issue aside, why does anyone pay so much for the CD if you can get the pictures with your own camera? Occasionally I will order 1 or 2 Photopass shots with a cool border or a "magical" overlay, but I certainly don't need the whole CD to capture all my memories.

And I also prefer to take all the photos on my own camera and make my own photo album on another photobook web site for a fraction of the cost of the Disney photo albums. I consider myself price-conscious but not frugal, and I certainly splurge on many things at Disney, but honestly, the Photopass CD is one thing I just don't "get." What am I missing?

Each person/family has their own reasons for getting Photopass, so all I can do is tell you ours.

1. We find the quality of the photos in most cases much better than our little 14MP Canon cameras. If you have a DSLR, probably not so much.

2. We like the fact that the photographer takes 2-3 photos, or more, at one location because inevitably, in our family, 3 photos gets us only 1 where we all look 'good'. :)

3. The photos are stored safely online. We lost some once on my camera because my memory card went crazy.

4. We enjoy when a Photopass photographer isn't really busy, and they take lots of 'creative' shots. We had a dozen taken last year back by the 'Warden Post' as we were exiting Kilimanjaro Safaris. She had us 'hanging clothes', knocking on the Warden's door, over by the waterfall, etc.

5. There are unique situations where I wouldn't want to touch my camera, or have it on me. Here are 2 from last month. We bought ice cream bars in Tomorrowland, and they were quickly melting as we walked to the central hub. We wanted a photo of us eating these rapidly melting bars, so we asked the Photopass guy on the bridge and he took several. I likely would have got ice cream on my camera. The other instance was when we left our cameras in a locker at AK the last part of the day to ride Kali. A serious downpour occured while getting on, and when the ride was over, we were all drenched. We found a Photopass photographer who took these hilarious photos of us completely soaked (we're too tough to do ponchos...ever :)) So in that instance, we didn't even have a camera on us.

Anyway, didn't mean to ramble, but we always do the pre order and find it worth the $100. Btw, with digital download now, it was cool to download all our photos in minutes as Zip files. No more waiting for that CD in the mail!

dreamfinder

They do have a photo person at BBB. But BBB also sells a package that you pay extra for to get the photo's. So I am wondering since I am paying extra for the Photopass + package if I will get those BBB pictures. Do you think there is someone I could call to ask? Just don't want to get it and have it not be completly what I thought and have everything included in what I was hoping for.

I haven't done BBB myself, but according to StitchKingdom.com
Bibbidi Bobbidi Photo Boutique - Located inside Guest Relations at Downtown Disney Marketplace and Castle Couture behind the Castle in the Magic Kingdom, small photo studios are set up for photo sessions primarily for guests who have purchased packages at Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique, however these studios are available for free use to any guest, even if they haven't had a BBB appointment. In addition, the rose garden at Magic Kingdom is also used for BBB photo sessions. Use of the studio is free of charge and requires no reservations, however priority is given to BBB patrons.
The way I read that is that anyone can walk in and ask for a photo session at the location. You just don't get the prints unless you buy the package.

Annielkd

It depends on what package you are referring to. Technically the PhotoPass CD and the PhotoPass+ service are two different things. The PhotoPass CD can also be purchased as part of a package that includes a photo book.

As of now, you can either pre purchase the PhotoPass CD or CD/book combo in advance. You do get cost savings by doing so. Or you can purchase them after the fact. Either works. If you prepurchase they put a credit on your account for the full cost. And then when you finish your edits and either use the credit, or pay full price, every picture on your account gets burnt to disc or provided for download. You can add as many photopass cards/numbers to your account prior to the checkout that you want/need/have and they will all end up on your cd. Cards from the water parks, and any actual Photopass photographer in the parks can be added to the account and will be on the cd.
The Photopass+ service is a fancy photopass card that tells the staff you can claims any of the listed ride/dining pictures without having to pay the extra charge. You are basically paying $199 for a magic PhotoPass+ card. As part of that purchase price, they are giving you a credit for the normal PhotoPass CD. So you can add as many normal PhotoPass numbers to your account that you want, and then also add the magic PhotoPass+ card to get the pictures that are only for PhotoPass+.

I don't know if the retrieval system for the ride/dining pictures works the same as for the normal Photopass. And I don't think anyone will until it actually goes live and people start to report back. But I don't think it will be. It's alot easier to identify someone when you can see their entire body in a group, but on pics of say Space Mountain, all you can see on some people will be their arms and head.
I'd be inclined to say to buy the PhotoPass+ service as soon as you can. That way when you hit up that first ride/meal that is compatible, you can get the pics added.

I'm actually talking about the original posting saying that the rides are now going to participate in the CD program.... just wondering about the water parks. It would make sense that everything is on there.

dkosdros

Thanks Dreamfinder. I read that the same as well so that is exciting. I am going to try to call tonight to get final confirmation (keeping my fingers crossed) and I will post it just for future reference so the next patron will know.

dkosdros

I just got off the phone with the boutique who then needed to transfer me to the Photopass department. There I spoke with Alex. He stated that any photos that are taken of guests getting ready are put on a photopass card. So yes they are included on the regular Photopass or Photopass + (whichever you choose). He said the only thing that wouldn't be included is if you purchase the photo package through the boutique then they do a small photo shoot in the studio rooms and you recieve a few prints and frames. He wasn't sure if you could ask the photography to still do the photo shoot and just not get the pictures printed with the frames.

So I am happy that I wil be able to get the photos to capture the moment and hopefully I can ask one of the photopass photographers to do a couple studio shots and if they can't I will bring my own camera and do a few on my own.

I did read you can use the studio rooms for free for your own photos as long as they are available. BBB guests with reservations get first dibs. and guess what I have a reservation. Our DD is going to have a blast and I can't wait to capture every moment of it.

erasure fan1

If you purchase this package you will get a "special" photo pass card and a lanyard. They will only provide one per package purchased so it will make "sharing" more difficult if the whole group will not always be together.

Yes and no. You can still have unlimited photopass cards. But you only get 1 photopass+ card. So during the day, everyone can run around and do M&Gs, get pictures with the castle etc, but then would need to be with the photopass+ cardholder to be able to get the attraction pictures and meal pictures. So the same way that most large groups will separate during the day, but have a scheduled meetup for dinner, you will need to do the same to utilize the photopass+ features.

I get that they dont want a big group to just buy 1 cd and pass it around but 1 lanyard pass can be a pain for just my family with 2 adults and 2 kids. We often split up and each take a kid to a different attraction based on what everyone wants to do. I think 2 cards wouldnt be unreasonable.

Annielkd

I just got off the phone with the boutique who then needed to transfer me to the Photopass department. There I spoke with Alex. He stated that any photos that are taken of guests getting ready are put on a photopass card. So yes they are included on the regular Photopass or Photopass + (whichever you choose). He said the only thing that wouldn't be included is if you purchase the photo package through the boutique then they do a small photo shoot in the studio rooms and you recieve a few prints and frames. He wasn't sure if you could ask the photography to still do the photo shoot and just not get the pictures printed with the frames.

So I am happy that I wil be able to get the photos to capture the moment and hopefully I can ask one of the photopass photographers to do a couple studio shots and if they can't I will bring my own camera and do a few on my own.

I did read you can use the studio rooms for free for your own photos as long as they are available. BBB guests with reservations get first dibs. and guess what I have a reservation. Our DD is going to have a blast and I can't wait to capture every moment of it.

Get every picture you can. When my son was 5 we did the castle and he got a ton of pictures with the princesses. He wore a knight outfit. I adore these pictures. I look back on these and see the complete innocence in his eyes. He was adorable and I'm so glad I have these pictures. In fact, we have the pictures and the CD in the safe. If my house was on fire, everything could burn, other than those pictures! Ask everyone to take them... you will not regret it. ESPECIALLY the ones that ask you to put your hands out. My son actually believed for YEARS that Tinkerbell was there!

dreamfinder

I'm actually talking about the original posting saying that the rides are now going to participate in the CD program.... just wondering about the water parks. It would make sense that everything is on there.

The water parks are already included in the normal Photopass CD. They haven't been a separate charge, and can already be added as is. The + is just letting you add the rides that currently still have an upcharge to Photopass without having to buy them all separately. So if you buy either Photopass or Photopass+ you can get the water park photos no problem.

Annielkd

The water parks are already included in the normal Photopass CD. They haven't been a separate charge, and can already be added as is. The + is just letting you add the rides that currently still have an upcharge to Photopass without having to buy them all separately. So if you buy either Photopass or Photopass+ you can get the water park photos no problem.

Thank you... that does answer that question. (I'm not even sure I'm going to the water park... just wanted to know if I did... would that work!) Thank you so much for the information. My son and husband go on the rides over and over... and they buy a picture, then like the next one better... it always happens. I generally spend about 100 on pictures. It might be nice to pay the extra 100 and get them all!

JillC LI

Each person/family has their own reasons for getting Photopass, so all I can do is tell you ours.

1. We find the quality of the photos in most cases much better than our little 14MP Canon cameras. If you have a DSLR, probably not so much.

2. We like the fact that the photographer takes 2-3 photos, or more, at one location because inevitably, in our family, 3 photos gets us only 1 where we all look 'good'. :)

3. The photos are stored safely online. We lost some once on my camera because my memory card went crazy.

4. We enjoy when a Photopass photographer isn't really busy, and they take lots of 'creative' shots. We had a dozen taken last year back by the 'Warden Post' as we were exiting Kilimanjaro Safaris. She had us 'hanging clothes', knocking on the Warden's door, over by the waterfall, etc.

5. There are unique situations where I wouldn't want to touch my camera, or have it on me. Here are 2 from last month. We bought ice cream bars in Tomorrowland, and they were quickly melting as we walked to the central hub. We wanted a photo of us eating these rapidly melting bars, so we asked the Photopass guy on the bridge and he took several. I likely would have got ice cream on my camera. The other instance was when we left our cameras in a locker at AK the last part of the day to ride Kali. A serious downpour occured while getting on, and when the ride was over, we were all drenched. We found a Photopass photographer who took these hilarious photos of us completely soaked (we're too tough to do ponchos...ever :)) So in that instance, we didn't even have a camera on us.

Anyway, didn't mean to ramble, but we always do the pre order and find it worth the $100. Btw, with digital download now, it was cool to download all our photos in minutes as Zip files. No more waiting for that CD in the mail!

A few things. First, they typically only take 1 photo with the guests camera. Enough to show they were there, but usually just the normal "everyone smile" type pose. They typically take multiple shots, and if you get the right photographer, some pretty creative shots with their cameras. Second, the spontaneous interaction with characters. At character greets, they are often ready and shooting interactions with kids that most parents don't get. Trying to hold 2 autographs books, pens, hats, bags, and work the camera to get Suzy flying up to Minnie for that first hug/kiss doesn't work real well. Third, magic shots. The shots I have with the hitchhiking ghosts are pretty darn cool. Fourth, the fact that they are properly setup to do night photography. Yeah, you can snap a pic with your on camera flash and once again, get a picture to show you were there at night. But to properly expose the thematic lighting, as well as the guests, you typically need a tripod. And most people don't carry those with them to the parks. Fifth, water parks. Not many people have waterproof cameras to take to the parks, but they will take pictures for you.

I'll admit, it's not for everyone. However, personally I get good value from it. Our last order resulted in 12 cds. I'll hit alot of characters by myself, and even though the handlers will take pictures with my camera (at characters photopass tends to work their camera, while the handler will use yours) by the time they get ready to take the picture, the key interactions are already done with.

Thank you both for taking the time to answer my question. I can understand how some might find this a very nice service and worth the cost. As I said, I do occasionally purchase 2 or 3 photos with magical overlays or caught in a unique spot, but for us, the whole CD isn't a worthwhile expense since we do take many (MANY! :lol:) wonderful photos with our own camera.

Chewmonkey

Pricing....

Ok, so I pre-ordered the photopass CD right before prices went up. We're going back to WDW in May.

I paid $99 for the CD. If I want to upgrade to photopass+, is it an extra $30 or an extra $100?

I'm smart enough to know the answer without asking, but hopeful enough to ask anyway. Thanks.

dreamfinder

Ok, so I pre-ordered the photopass CD right before prices went up. We're going back to WDW in May.

I paid $99 for the CD. If I want to upgrade to photopass+, is it an extra $30 or an extra $100?

I'm smart enough to know the answer without asking, but hopeful enough to ask anyway. Thanks.

By all reports, the extra $100. Comments made by the Photopass team on the original posting indicate that if a guest pre bought the cd/book combo for $150, and wanted to upgrade, they would only give them the $99.95 cost of the cd as a credit towards the $199 cost of the Photopass+.

marlaine8

Does anyone know if the ride photos will be the 8x10s like they are if you just purchase the ride photo? Or will it just be included in the Photopass CD and you can print any size you want after you recieve your CD?
If you buy a ride photo (or dining photo), you get a picture to carry around with you and physically take it with you. Is this how it will be, or will the pictures just be on your CD?

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Does anyone know if the ride photos will be the 8x10s like they are if you just purchase the ride photo? Or will it just be included in the Photopass CD and you can print any size you want after you recieve your CD?
If you buy a ride photo (or dining photo), you get a picture to carry around with you and physically take it with you. Is this how it will be, or will the pictures just be on your CD?

My understanding is that this includes the ride photos on the CD only, not a printed pic as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom