New photopass service/package

plaz10

I don't mean to ask a question on an existing thread (ok...clearly I do since I'm going to do it) but it just seems easier than starting a new thread or looking at old ones with non current prices.

When pre-ordering the photopass CD...you get a discount for pre paying (no idea what that price is) and then you get all pictures that a photopass person takes with your camera...apparently not including attractions and meals.

But once you order that CD - can you print off as many prints of whichever pictures that you'd like? Do you own the prints - so I can print off as many as I want and only pay what my local store costs to print out photos?

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I don't mean to ask a question on an existing thread (ok...clearly I do since I'm going to do it) but it just seems easier than starting a new thread or looking at old ones with non current prices.

When pre-ordering the photopass CD...you get a discount for pre paying (no idea what that price is) and then you get all pictures that a photopass person takes with your camera...apparently not including attractions and meals.

But once you order that CD - can you print off as many prints of whichever pictures that you'd like? Do you own the prints - so I can print off as many as I want and only pay what my local store costs to print out photos?

Yes.

mhwang

Yes and No. Here is the official blurb from the photopass website.

Disney's PhotoCD comes with a limited license agreement which grants permission to reproduce the photos on the disk for personal use only. The copyright agreement is stored on the CD itself and is located in the main directory. Instructions on how to access this file are located on the back of the CD case. You must present this agreement to your photo retailer when you create prints of your Disney's PhotoPass photos.

The way I interpret it is that you can print off as many as you want as long as it isn't for business purposes.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
If you purchase this package you will get a "special" photo pass card and a lanyard. They will only provide one per package purchased so it will make "sharing" more difficult if the whole group will not always be together.

Just to clarify, as I understand it, you get one "Photopass Plus" card, but you can still add pictures from as many regular Photopass cards as you want to your account before getting the CD.

dreamfinder

So I'm taking it that this card will look different from the typical photopass, so that the attraction/meal personnel will know that you have the + option. My question is, when we go in October we have a villa with two families. If we split the cost of the photopass + card, do we have to make sure that we are together all the time for everyone to utilize it or can we get multiple cards for one fee?

I have only used photopass once, and it was two years ago so I'm a bit foggy

If you purchase this package you will get a "special" photo pass card and a lanyard. They will only provide one per package purchased so it will make "sharing" more difficult if the whole group will not always be together.

Yes and no. You can still have unlimited photopass cards. But you only get 1 photopass+ card. So during the day, everyone can run around and do M&Gs, get pictures with the castle etc, but then would need to be with the photopass+ cardholder to be able to get the attraction pictures and meal pictures. So the same way that most large groups will separate during the day, but have a scheduled meetup for dinner, you will need to do the same to utilize the photopass+ features.

For $119 (pre order) or $169, you get a CD of every picture that a normal photopass photographer takes of you with their cameras. For the $199 you get the extra photopass+ options mentioned in the OP. They will take pictures with your camera for free, but you need to pay an extra fee if you want to upload them to the site. (Which has no real need)

You get a limited release. Basically to the effect that you can print out a reasonable number of copies for your own use, can't sell them, etc. That clause was why some Disney fan boards stopped allowing for organized shares as those required money to change hands. There is no problem to take the pictures and get prints made, create your own photobook, make a t-shirt for granny, that's all fine.

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
I might be being a little stoopid here but ..... does the $199.95 cover the cost of the cd with whatever photo's you want on there or do you have to pay per picture etc ?:confused:

Howdy

Lurker extraordinaire
Premium Member
I might be being a little stoopid here but ..... does the $199.95 cover the cost of the cd with whatever photo's you want on there or do you have to pay per picture etc ?:confused:
it's $199.95 whether you have 5 pictures taken or 500. Only stipulation will be the 14 day period of use.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Yes and No. Here is the official blurb from the photopass website.

The way I interpret it is that you can print off as many as you want as long as it isn't for business purposes.

Good point. No business use, but unlimited personal use, essentially.

Are the Wild Africa Trek photos back on Photopass?

They were not last October. They came on a separate CD. No opportunity to add to photo pass or get borders, etc.

dreamfinder

According to the details, the $199.95 includes a code to enter on the Photopass website to cover the cost of the photo cd(s). It will be seen if that includes the shipping as well as the current pre-purchase deal doesn't.

You are basically buying the cd for $169.95 and then paying an extra $30 for the ability to get all your ride pics/meal pics from the listed options added as well. Currently you would need to pay for those individually to get them added.

Stitchling

We will be getting one for sure in June! We always buy the photopass cd on our last day. We also usually end up buying ride photos as well, this will definately save us some money in the long run! (there are 15 of us going this year!) :)

JillC LI

I have an honest question. I have never purchased a Photopass CD because every time I have a Photopass picture taken, I ask the photographer to take one with my own camera as well. Obviously I can't do that for the ride photos, but putting that issue aside, why does anyone pay so much for the CD if you can get the pictures with your own camera? Occasionally I will order 1 or 2 Photopass shots with a cool border or a "magical" overlay, but I certainly don't need the whole CD to capture all my memories.

And I also prefer to take all the photos on my own camera and make my own photo album on another photobook web site for a fraction of the cost of the Disney photo albums. I consider myself price-conscious but not frugal, and I certainly splurge on many things at Disney, but honestly, the Photopass CD is one thing I just don't "get." What am I missing?

I_heart_Tigger

I only had a photo pass card for the 1st time on my last trip. This year when I got my package in the mail it included a photopass card.

Here are my questions:

1. It says free to sign up and that I can view and share my photos online. Is it free for online sharing?

2. Can I purchase just individual photos and if so, how much are they?

3. It also says that I will be sent special offers during and after my vacation - has anyone received these offers? What kind of deals are they?

Thanks for your help

One week from today and I'll be walking down Main Street U.S.A!!! :sohappy::D

dreamfinder

And I also prefer to take all the photos on my own camera and make my own photo album on another photobook web site for a fraction of the cost of the Disney photo albums. I consider myself price-conscious but not frugal, and I certainly splurge on many things at Disney, but honestly, the Photopass CD is one thing I just don't "get." What am I missing?

A few things. First, they typically only take 1 photo with the guests camera. Enough to show they were there, but usually just the normal "everyone smile" type pose. They typically take multiple shots, and if you get the right photographer, some pretty creative shots with their cameras. Second, the spontaneous interaction with characters. At character greets, they are often ready and shooting interactions with kids that most parents don't get. Trying to hold 2 autographs books, pens, hats, bags, and work the camera to get Suzy flying up to Minnie for that first hug/kiss doesn't work real well. Third, magic shots. The shots I have with the hitchhiking ghosts are pretty darn cool. Fourth, the fact that they are properly setup to do night photography. Yeah, you can snap a pic with your on camera flash and once again, get a picture to show you were there at night. But to properly expose the thematic lighting, as well as the guests, you typically need a tripod. And most people don't carry those with them to the parks. Fifth, water parks. Not many people have waterproof cameras to take to the parks, but they will take pictures for you.

I'll admit, it's not for everyone. However, personally I get good value from it. Our last order resulted in 12 cds. I'll hit alot of characters by myself, and even though the handlers will take pictures with my camera (at characters photopass tends to work their camera, while the handler will use yours) by the time they get ready to take the picture, the key interactions are already done with.

Does it also cover water parks?

During peak water park seasons (think summer) they do have photographers in the water parks. During slower times, they do not. If they are in the parks they will have the little cards on the wrist bands instead of having to carry around a normal card.

I only had a photo pass card for the 1st time on my last trip. This year when I got my package in the mail it included a photopass card.

Here are my questions:

1. It says free to sign up and that I can view and share my photos online. Is it free for online sharing?

Registration on the photopass site is a must. But you don't need to use the card they send you, you can grab new ones at the parks.
They have basic online sharing. Enough I think to be able to post low res versions to Facebook and the like. I don't recall it being a full on sharing site like Flickr or Picasa.

2. Can I purchase just individual photos and if so, how much are they?

You can, the price will vary based on promotions and the size you want. Figure on $14.95 and up.

3. It also says that I will be sent special offers during and after my vacation - has anyone received these offers? What kind of deals are they?

Thanks for your help

One week from today and I'll be walking down Main Street U.S.A!!! :sohappy::D

Typically in the past the deals haven't been as good as the pre-order cd packages. Some people have reported things like $20 off the photopass cd. I'd say anything offered will be on par with the normal discounts that pop up, buy 4 get 1 free, 30% prints, stuff like that.

Annielkd

Each year when I've gone to Disney they have a person at the water parks, and they give you a wrist band photopass thing. You said you could use differnt photo passes, I'm not trying to be an idiot but:
1. Next week when I'm at disney, do I need to decide ahead of time to purchase the package?
2. If they do have photographers at the water parks, can that be added to the package?
3. My husband and I are talking about this because we always purchace rides at the major attractions that add up and now are included...All the photo stops will still be included... right?

We used this the first year we went and ended up doing character greetings and all kinds of things... it's been 5 years, it's time for an upgrade ;)

dkosdros

I have been debating on doing the Photopass and now with the introduction of the Photopass + it makes my decision that much more difficult. I love the idea but i'm just trying to see that I would get the value out of it. Anyone know if the Photopass + includes shots you would get done at the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique? if so my decision is made and it is a done deal. It would cover our breakfast at Chef Mickeys, The rides we go on, The numerous spots in and around the park. and lastly I am hoping it would catch DD's magical moment at the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique.

Annielkd

Since I heard character meals... I would assume Chef Mickeys would be one... they always have the photo pass person there. Do they normally have a photo pass person at BBB? If so, then purchase away! :sohappy:

dkosdros

They do have a photo person at BBB. But BBB also sells a package that you pay extra for to get the photo's. So I am wondering since I am paying extra for the Photopass + package if I will get those BBB pictures. Do you think there is someone I could call to ask? Just don't want to get it and have it not be completly what I thought and have everything included in what I was hoping for.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom