News New Park Entrance coming to Epcot

UNCgolf

Eh, I don’t have a problem with the plans for the dome itself. It should just absolutely still have theaters branching off of it.

I have serious problems with turning a former pavilion space with many activities around a theme into a digital playground/arcade with a bunch of meet and greets. The whole thing (at least as originally announced) sounds like a much smaller version of Disney Quest.

Last edited:

pdude81

I have serious problems with turning a former pavilion space with many activities around a theme into a digital playground/arcade with a bunch of meet and greets. The whole thing (at least as originally announced) sounded like a much smaller version of Disney Quest.
If they expanded this concept and also put more attractions in the previously used areas there is potential here. Agreed that it's underwhelming as previously announced

hpyhnt 1000

Unfortunately. I was really hoping it had been quietly cancelled and we wouldn't have that wasting pavilion space for a couple of decades.
If it was canceled, the pavilion would presumably sit there unused and abandoned for many more years. So, while I'm not at all excited about the concept behind Play, the sooner it's opened the better at this point because old Future World desperately needs more stuff to do. Between nothing or something, I'll take something.

So sad to see this once great park in such a shambles with no real end date even in sight.

UNCgolf

If it was canceled, the pavilion would presumably sit there unused and abandoned for many more years. So, while I'm not at all excited about the concept behind Play, the sooner it's opened the better at this point because old Future World desperately needs more stuff to do. Between nothing or something, I'll take something.

So sad to see this once great park in such a shambles with no real end date even in sight.

I would prefer it sit there abandoned for another 5 years than get the Play Pavilion.

Once Play Pavilion opens, it will be there for a long time. We'll likely be stuck with it until 2040. If Play Pavilion was cancelled, there's at least the chance that whatever they decide to build instead is a big improvement. I'd rather take the chance for a much better option 5 years down the road than settle for this.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
For those who don't like IP everywhere... PLAY! will be the place in which all those IP M&G characters will be congregated. As well as a bunch of children running around and screaming like banshees. You can easily ignore this pavilion and enjoy the more adult and less-IP'd EPCOT.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

New main entrance flags with EPCOT logo installed around Spaceship Earth​

Epcot_Full_44464.jpg

James Alucobond

I have serious problems with turning a former pavilion space with many activities around a theme into a digital playground/arcade with a bunch of meet and greets. The whole thing (at least as originally announced) sounds like a much smaller version of Disney Quest.
Yeah, I mean, it's not my favorite and I obviously would have preferred meet and greets go in a still-existing other half of CommuniCore, but at least what they're doing is fairly malleable since changing it up likely only requires different digital assets.

If I had my way, I'd have further played up the "Disney World exists in MCU" aspect of Cosmic Rewind and made it into the Collector's EPCOT Archives or something. Make the dome into a museum with cases full of artifacts from old attractions, style the Cosmic Rewind show building as an automatic retrieval archive connected to the dome via some sort of lift, and then attach some VR theaters to the back. Pre-show is a faux "lift" that takes you into the archive with some narration from and footage of Benicio as the Collector, and the various shows you view at different scheduled times are virtual recreations of past attractions like Horizons, the Maelstrom, 20000 Leagues, etc. using archival audio and whatnot.

Buuut I'm armchair Imagineering to the max now. I'll stop.

UNCgolf

Yeah, I mean, it's not my favorite and I obviously would have preferred meet and greets go in a still-existing other half of CommuniCore, but at least what they're doing is fairly malleable since changing it up likely only requires different digital assets.

If I had my way, I'd have further played up the "Disney World exists in MCU" aspect of Cosmic Rewind and made it into the Collector's EPCOT Archives or something. Make the dome into a museum with cases full of artifacts from old attractions, style the Cosmic Rewind show building as an automatic retrieval archive connected to the dome via some sort of lift, and then attach some VR theaters to the back. Pre-show is a faux "lift" that takes you into the archive with some narration from and footage of Benicio as the Collector, and the various shows you view at different scheduled times are virtual recreations of past attractions like Horizons, the Maelstrom, 20000 Leagues, etc. using archival audio and whatnot.

Buuut I'm armchair Imagineering to the max now. I'll stop.

Ideally this sounds good, but I think we all know Disney isn't ever going to change anything there, at least based on their track record of basically every other similar thing in the parks.

mightynine

PLAY! won't open until they replace the roof a few more times.
Maybe that can be one of the attractions - sounds like it's perfect for Fix-It Felix!

I’m loving more and more what they are doing with Epcot but it really is becoming a Magic Kingdom 2.0
At The Walt Disney Company, we prefer the term "Magic Kingdom+".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom