News New Parade: Magic Happens

brb1006

I remember those parades they were weird and fun and there was always something in them that made people smile. They also geared towards all age groups because it wasn't all just princess and the same hand full of characters.

with that said

I doubt an updated parade like that would be accepted and not be torn to pieces by the onlien community. Seems like every time they consider something different and outside the box they are criticized heavily. recent fireworks are a good example of what something out of the box is not received well. Mickey mix magic and the Pixar fest fireworks were heavily criticized by the fan community because of their drastic change from the typical firework show but accepted and cheered on by the tourist crowds. sadly they recognize that they have a huge fan base that can spread unwanted criticism so they constantly revert back the "in the box" ideas.

Hopefully this somewhat-out of the box-thinking with the costumes and music mixed in with the -in the box- float themes work and they continue to experiment a bit more and bring back some of those fun parades that many of us grew up with
Remember when DL and WDW used to create special parades for a characters birthday? (Mickey's 50th Birthday Parade, Donald Duck's 50th Birthday Parade, Mickey's 60th Birthday Parade, and the last being "The World According to Goofy")

brb1006

I do remember and they didn't have to be these huge budget parade floats to be entertaining.
They were lots of fun and energetic. You don't get the feeling your watching a commercial with an agenda.
Here's good footage of Donald's 50th Birthday Parade complete with a special ceremony held near the entrance.

Mickey's 50th Birthday Parade

Rare footage of "Mickey Our Hero Parade" (which was very short) (1984)

Last edited:

brb1006

All the characters are having lots a blast, love all their dance moves. Well except king Louie which seems to be a bit limp
I love how much energy the performers and characters had in those videos. Especially in the "Mickey Our Hero Parade", just look at how fast the dancers were in that parade. Heck, the music from those old parade were insanely catchy. There's something about seeing older parade videos from Disneyland and Walt Disney World that had so much charm when it comes to the way both the performers and characters are doing in videos like the three I listed above.

I also loved the cute moment one of the dancers for "Donald's 50th Birthday Parade" briefly knells down to a child as seen in the 11:27 mark of that video. And Grumpy was jamming to that parade music. The there's the "Mickey Our Hero Parade" while the music is short, it's insanely catchy and everybody is having the times of their lives.

Last edited:

brb1006

As I was watching footage of Donald's 50th Birthday Parade that I posted above. I just noticed that guests were actually able to briefly interact with Pooh during the parade. They were able to briefly leave the ropes and pose with Pooh.
That specific moment can be seen at 13:00 till 13:18.

Pooh.PNG

Pooh2.PNG

I also spotted a girl dancing close to the characters and the parade floats around mark 11:21 till 11:31 (she is then seen returning to her spot).

Grumpy.PNG

Sleepy.PNG

I also remember seeing old footage of Mickey's Street Party Parade (shot sometime in 1985 or 1986) at Walt Disney World where a mother (or other family member) is signaling Geppetto to see her baby. Geppetto gives a quick interaction with the two and then leaves.
Mickey.PNG

This moment happens at 3:28 till 3:45.

That type of stuff won't fly today. But its very charming to see moments like this immortalized with home videos of the 80s. Not to mention this was back when wandering/walkaround characters were still a thing at both parks.

Last edited:

Phroobar

The herd mentality is if one person does it, they all try it. Just another way people have ruined the Disney experience. I can't wait for the day when Disney becomes unhip again.

Last edited:

SuddenStorm

I remember those parades they were weird and fun and there was always something in them that made people smile. They also geared towards all age groups because it wasn't all just princess and the same hand full of characters.

with that said

I doubt an updated parade like that would be accepted and not be torn to pieces by the online community. Seems like every time they consider something different and outside the box they are criticized heavily. recent fireworks are a good example of what something out of the box is not received well. Mickey mix magic and the Pixar fest fireworks were heavily criticized by the fan community because of their drastic change from the typical firework show but accepted and cheered on by the tourist crowds. sadly they recognize that they have a huge fan base that can spread unwanted criticism so they constantly revert back the "in the box" ideas.

Hopefully this somewhat-out of the box-thinking with the costumes and music mixed in with the -in the box- float themes work and they continue to experiment a bit more and bring back some of those fun parades that many of us grew up with

Going outside the box is fine. The product just has to actually be good- which is more than MMM and PF could say.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom