New Norway movie at Epcot

Incredibles

Epcot82Guy said:
That was an interesting read, regardless of its age. Thanks for posting. I also hope that there will be an announcement about the replacement.

As for Canada, it is an interesting presentation. Personally, I think the entire film is fine except for its age alone. What I mean is that the content, dialogue, locations, music, etc. are all still relevant. However, the physical film techniques and people's outfits are quite outdated (by 24 years to be exact). It sounds like they hit the mark at China, and I would love to see something along those lines come to Canada (sans an entirely new attractions with the circle theater as a preshow).
You hit the mark perfectly! It is a good film, just outdated. I think France's film is still pretty good too. It's hard for old castles to look outdated. Their charm is that they are old and stately.

Captain Chaos

I have never seen O Canada, isn't that the name of the movie?

Back to Norway, do you think they can do something to make it where if you don't want to see the movie, you do not have to wait until the theater opens? How many people actually stay for the movie in Norway after riding Maelstrom?

Incredibles

That's why I couldn't even remember the film there. Everyone remembers the ride. I stayed for the film and though it was good. It just doesn't stick with you like the other films do.
I don't see how they could fit a line in that area just for the film. Plus, you'd have a problem with people coming and going in the same area instead of a dedicated exit.

BRER STITCH

dxer07002 said:
Back to Norway, do you think they can do something to make it where if you don't want to see the movie, you do not have to wait until the theater opens? How many people actually stay for the movie in Norway after riding Maelstrom?

Be careful what you wish for! :eek:

One easy solution for the Norwegian Travel Board would be to use the movie as the "Preshow" and make everyone enter and watch it BEFORE opening the doors to the ride!

:lookaroun

Personally, it is that very attraction and movie that inspired me to travel to Norway, so they got at least one person there! :lol:

I love the attraction, movie, and country!

Captain Chaos

BRER STITCH said:
Be careful what you wish for! :eek:

One easy solution for the Norwegian Travel Board would be to use the movie as the "Preshow" and make everyone enter and watch it BEFORE opening the doors to the ride!

:lookaroun

Personally, it is that very attraction and movie that inspired me to travel to Norway, so they got at least one person there! :lol:

I love the attraction, movie, and country!

Really not wishing for an exit like that... Just saying.. me personally, I don't mind waiting around 5-10 minutes for the theater to open... But I like your idea of making it a preshow.. More people would watch the movie, get a good sense of what Norway is like and maybe, just maybe, it would convince the Norwegian government to kick in a few extra bucks to help the pavilion improve.

Epcot82Guy

dxer07002 said:
Really not wishing for an exit like that... Just saying.. me personally, I don't mind waiting around 5-10 minutes for the theater to open... But I like your idea of making it a preshow.. More people would watch the movie, get a good sense of what Norway is like and maybe, just maybe, it would convince the Norwegian government to kick in a few extra bucks to help the pavilion improve.

While I agree that having it as a preshow would work logistically, I think it somewhat destroys the story of the ride: you are venturing through the history of Norway and then come to the modern day (which the film showcases). Now I DO think it could work as a play on the child's imagination (which is a great set up IMHO) where you venture backwards in the film: from modern Norway and then read about the history, finally ending in a re-tooled queue for the ride that takes you through the forests to the loading "river." But, that might be more hassle than it is worth for a 5-6 minute film.

Captain Chaos

:D
Epcot82Guy said:
While I agree that having it as a preshow would work logistically, I think it somewhat destroys the story of the ride: you are venturing through the history of Norway and then come to the modern day (which the film showcases). Now I DO think it could work as a play on the child's imagination (which is a great set up IMHO) where you venture backwards in the film: from modern Norway and then read about the history, finally ending in a re-tooled queue for the ride that takes you through the forests to the loading "river." But, that might be more hassle than it is worth for a 5-6 minute film.

I like that idea... Going back in time.. Works for me... But I also agree, much more hassel for a 5 minute film... And then, don't forget, Disney would have to rework the exit/entrance to the pavilion, theater, ride, show, everything, including the shop.. cause we all know, when we exit an attraction, the first place we need to step into is a gift shop.. :D

KumbaRider

That's a very cool idea. I'm picturing it to be somewhat like E.T. walking through the forests. That's a great idea, to hear sounds of trolls and stuff while walking through the woods, and have fog/mist, etc..

Fantasmic!329

napnet said:
Yes, it kept breaking down yesterday and we got evac'ed from it. Granted we were at the loading dock. It was closed the rest of the time i was at Epcot so not sure if it reopened that day. Nice CM at Test Track let me exchange the FP i got from Malestrom.
I was evac'd from the lift hill, in 2004. :rolleyes:

ryguy

Doesn't this set a bad precedent for Disney? If I am the other countries in World Showcase and I read this article the first thing I would do is stop paying rent to Disney. Norway doesn't pay anything and gets free advertising. Actually, Disney kisses their butts. Sounds like a good deal for Norway and thats about it. I am sure there are other nations who would love to have that space to market their own country. I think it would be a nice change to see a different country. I am getting bored of the world showcase. I feel like I know these pavillions like the back of my hand. EPCOT is supposed to be a constantly changing place, so far we have yet to see anything change at the World Showcase for over 17 years. I think now would be a great time!!

Badger Brent

I've noticed at one of the carts outside of the Norway pavilion, you could buy Mickey head pins and antenna toppers of Sweden, Finland, and Norway. Why would other countries be allowed to sell and promote their countries at Epcot in Norway? I also am in the minority, I love the movie but it has to be redone. Along with the movies in Canada and France. The outdoor scenes are fine, but the clothes puts an aged timeline on the films.

peter11435

Badger Brent said:
Why would other countries be allowed to sell and promote their countries at Epcot in Norway?

It isn't the other countries trying to promote their countries. The other countries have nothing to do with it. Its Disney trying to make more money.

Astronaut Jones

I love Maelstrom even though it is only about 3 minutes long. Is talk of the ride being updated along with the movie just what is being hoped for or is there actually some evidence that the ride will be renivated as well?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom