New MyMagic+ 'Memory Maker' photography package begins Friday

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
I just don't see the value. This may be the most over priced product that they sell, and that says a lot!

Sure there are some magic shots, but could you live without them? If they stopped the magic shots would it ruin your vacation? Yes, it would be great to be in more pictures with my family, but cast members (including photopass photogs) are very willing to take your picture for you with your camera. I look at the photos I got from my last trip, when I did do a photopass. I got 100 pics roughly. Of those approx 3-4 pics were taken of each shot. And about 10-15 magic shots. So in the end, I ended up paying $149 for approx 25 pictures. Thats almost $6 a photo!

I also came home with about 700 pictures of my own with my own camera. Fewer staged with backdrops, more with the kids doing spontaneous things, the photos I actually look at. Each to their own, but with all the nickle and dime complaining that goes on in these boards... I can't see how this isn't the worst of it.

We had a similar number of pictures plus about 200 PP pictures. I like to take video with my point and shoot while the PP photographer takes pictures when we meet characters. The price also includes ride photos and photo packages that you have to pay extra for at Character Meals. If you want all those pictures the price is good. Between character meals and ride photos it more then covered the price of pre-ordering PP+ which is $150.

toasty

I still don't see why anyone would pony up the money for this program when you could buy a good point-and-shoot camera with HD video capabilities for the same money.
Heck, a lot of people already carry smartphones that can take perfectly good photos in much higher resolution than can be easily printed.

For me, the big draw is the character interactions because we have a 4 year old daughter that LOVES meeting characters. Yes, you can take photos with your own camera, but:

1. The photopass photographers often move in close and get shots and angles you really can't get by yourself.
2. It allows us to just be in the moment and watch her enjoying herself rather than having to worry about getting a good picture.

There is a specific event that prompted my love of Disney World -- we took my daughter on a trip with extended family when she was 2.5, and the very first thing we did was go and visit the princesses. At this point, we had no idea if she even knew who these characters were, or how she was going to react. Even as she was standing in line waiting her turn, she was quiet and we didn't know what to expect. Well, when it was her turn, she sprinted across the room and flung herself at Aurora. Even Aurora was taken aback, and her reaction was just awesome.

The thing is, though, we were so wrapped up in watching her, neither my wife or I were able to get a picture of that specific moment, and even if we had been ready, we were out of position to get it. The photopass photographer, on the other hand, recognized that this was "one of those moments" and took photos -- LOTS of them -- including a shot capturing Aurora's reaction right as our daughter lept into her arms.

Is photopass a lot of money? Yes.
Can you take photos yourself? Sure.
Is it necessary? Not at all.

With that said, though, I've never been happier that I bucked up for it on that trip, because we have some incredible photos that I would have otherwise missed without it. We don't do it every trip now, but if we're doing a trip that we expect to involve a lot of character greetings, it's absolutely worth it for us.

Betsyboo

Anyone think I should preorder the PP+ today and lock in a cheaper price? We are going in February. I'm hoping there will still be a reduced price for preorder when the new one comes out tomorrow but I'm not sure

psukardi

I still don't see why anyone would pony up the money for this program when you could buy a good point-and-shoot camera with HD video capabilities for the same money.
Heck, a lot of people already carry smartphones that can take perfectly good photos in much higher resolution than can be easily printed.

Because I don't like the idea of handing a total stringer my Nikon.

WDWYankee15

Anyone think I should preorder the PP+ today and lock in a cheaper price? We are going in February. I'm hoping there will still be a reduced price for preorder when the new one comes out tomorrow but I'm not sure
I was thinking the same thing. We are going this summer and I know we want to get Photopass+ or whatever the new verison is called, so I am guessing today the price is as cheap as it can be. I'm just worried about an upcharge of some sort. I think I am going to get it and roll the dice. Here's hoping. :bored:

psukardi

Pity. I usually go out of my way to offer to take photos for people. I must have done it about 30 times the last time we were there.

And that's great that you do that, it's a kind gesture and I've offered the same to others. I just don't like handing over the SLR to some random stranger with the fear of some schmuck on wheels bumping into them causing said camera to fall to the ground.

WDWYankee15

I was thinking the same thing. We are going this summer and I know we want to get Photopass+ or whatever the new verison is called, so I am guessing today the price is as cheap as it can be. I'm just worried about an upcharge of some sort. I think I am going to get it and roll the dice. Here's hoping. :bored:
Does anyone know if the voucher has an expiration date? Essentially if I purchase it today will it still be good to use in 9 months?

Unplugged

The quest continues to use the word "memory" for almost anything existing at Disney World.

"For the memory of a lifetime, Recall (Disney), Recall (Disney), Recall (Disney)."

If they keep working this technology, you won't have to even waste your time traveling anymore. Just pay a slightly discounted price and get the memory implants and PP+ photos of the trip you never actually took!

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I just don't see the value. This may be the most over priced product that they sell, and that says a lot!

Sure there are some magic shots, but could you live without them? If they stopped the magic shots would it ruin your vacation? Yes, it would be great to be in more pictures with my family, but cast members (including photopass photogs) are very willing to take your picture for you with your camera. I look at the photos I got from my last trip, when I did do a photopass. I got 100 pics roughly. Of those approx 3-4 pics were taken of each shot. And about 10-15 magic shots. So in the end, I ended up paying $149 for approx 25 pictures. Thats almost $6 a photo!

I also came home with about 700 pictures of my own with my own camera. Fewer staged with backdrops, more with the kids doing spontaneous things, the photos I actually look at. Each to their own, but with all the nickle and dime complaining that goes on in these boards... I can't see how this isn't the worst of it.
To each their own. Everyone had different opinions on the value of a product. Many people would probably say why stay at a deluxe resort when you can stay at a value or why stay on property at all when you can stay offsite for way less. Why eat at CA grill and pay those prices when you could eat off property at a top steakhouse for the same price or less. Why pay extra for a desert package to watch wishes from a private location? It's fireworks in the sky. Just look up...from anywhere. I could go on.

In the grand scheme of things if you are dropping between $5,000 and $10,000 on a vacation to WDW what's another $150.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Most airports x-ray all luggage. Checked luggage is just x-rayed behind the scenes. So it doesn't matter whether you check the film or carry it on.
It was a bad joke that probably went over most people's heads. I doubt anyone uses disposable cameras anymore (maybe the underwater ones, they were cool).

Back in the day when cameras still had film one of the biggest travel myths was that the x-ray machine at security would expose your film. It wasn't true and at one point i think TSA even had signs or a blurb on their website about it.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Back in the day when cameras still had film one of the biggest travel myths was that the x-ray machine at security would expose your film. It wasn't true and at one point i think TSA even had signs or a blurb on their website about it.

It is true - it just depends on the speed of the film and the xray machine used. Get boring details from Kodak here - http://www.kodak.com/global/en/service/tib/tib5201.shtml

Ray B

Just called Disney, twice, and both times the reps said that Memory Maker will have all the same benefits as Photopass+ with the exception of not getting the disk with the stock photos on it. They both also said that the Memory Maker would be $10 cheaper than Photopass+.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Just called Disney, twice, and both times the reps said that Memory Maker will have all the same benefits as Photopass+ with the exception of not getting the disk with the stock photos on it. They both also said that the Memory Maker would be $10 cheaper than Photopass+.

The real question is will the $10 cheaper apply to the prepaid deal too or just the $199 base price. If the new package goes down to $140 prepaid then it's a nice advantage.

Ray B

The real question is will the $10 cheaper apply to the prepaid deal too or just the $199 base price. If the new package goes down to $140 prepaid then it's a nice advantage.
Both reps told me that PP+ was $159, although I thought it was $149, but MM would be $149. I am waiting to purchase, although I am not completely confident. If they gave me bad info there is going to be one unhappy supervisor tomorrow when I call back.

asialeigh

Both reps told me that PP+ was $159, although I thought it was $149, but MM would be $149. I am waiting to purchase, although I am not completely confident. If they gave me bad info there is going to be one unhappy supervisor tomorrow when I call back.

It's $149

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom