New Mummy Press Release

CTXRover

Original Poster
Here is the new Universal Orlando press release on the Mummy attraction with a lot of technical details....for fun, I'll do a comparison after the press release to help provide a better idea of what all the numbers and words really mean, so check it out :)

Press Release:
REVENGE OF THE MUMMY - THE RIDE
UNWRAPPED AT
UNIVERSAL ORLANDO
WHAT IT IS:

A first-of-its-kind psychological thrill ride, Revenge of The Mummy - The Ride taps into riders' primal fears through immersion in a total multi-sensory environment. Utilizing space-age robotics, sophisticated motion picture technology, state-of-the-art ride, audio, and special effects engineering, the ride plays upon common human phobias: fear of the dark, fear of insects, fear of speed, fear of heights, fear of evil spirits, and fear of death. Employing the same technology utilized in futuristic magnetic levitation trains, Revenge of The Mummy - The Ride marks a new evolution in roller coasters by fusing an electro-magnetic propulsion launch system with linear induction motor ride tracks.

PROJECT DEVELOPMENT:

With a combined ten years in research and development, Revenge of The Mummy - The Ride is the first indoor ride in history to fuse state-of-the-art roller coaster technology with highly-themed dark ride environments and Hollywood special effects.

THE HOLLYWOOD CONNECTION:

Universal's attraction designers worked in close collaboration with the filmmakers and stars of the highly popular "Mummy" movies. This involvement includes: Stephen Sommers, director and writer of "The Mummy" and "The Mummy Returns;" Bob Ducsay, editor of "The Mummy" and "The Mummy Returns" and executive producer for "The Mummy Returns;" Brendan Fraser and Arnold Vosloo, stars of "The Mummy" and "The Mummy Returns;" Alan Silvestri, composer of the original score for "The Mummy" and "The Mummy Returns."

RIDE TRACK:

The revolutionary ride track features linear induction motors designed to propel the ride vehicles through 2,200 feet of curves, drops, and sweeping turns, containing seven near "zero G" moments. At one point, the vehicle falls 25 feet at a 50-degree angle, providing the sensation of falling straight down. The ride tracks, which are strategically filled with sand, are designed to minimize sound and create a noise-free ride ... except for the screams!

THE BACKWARDS CHALLENGE:

It is the only indoor roller coaster to employ forward and backward motion through the technique of track switching. During one particularly hair-raising moment in the ride, the ride vehicle will come to a halt, its way blocked by a dead-end wall, out of which will pour thousands of hungry scarabs, heading straight for the riders. Just in time, the vehicle actually switches tracks and slips backwards down a steep drop before being launched into a high-speed escape.

EGYPTIAN ARTIFACTS AND AUTHENTICITY:

Themed elements of the ride are the most elaborate ever created for a thrill ride experience. Universal Studios' ride producers traveled to London's British Museum and also worked with leading experts in Egyptology from the Oriental Institute of Chicago to assure the authenticity of the ride's shadowy, curse-ridden interior.

AUDIO SYSTEM:

Revenge of The Mummy - The Ride surrounds guests with more than 18,000 watts of sound from more than 200 speakers placed strategically throughout the attraction. Aboard each individual mine-car ride vehicle, guests are enveloped with sound from 22 speakers reverberating more than 350 watts of audio.

MINE CARE RIDE VEHICLES:

16 passengers will be secured into a mine care ride vehicle, with up to five vehicles navigating the ride track at one time. The roller coaster launch sends the vehicle climbing approximately 45 feet at a 25-degree slop in 1.5 seconds with acceleration forces in excess of 1G, which is roughly the same acceleration performance as a Porsche Carrera.

IMHOTEP'S MINION APPARITIONS:

(25) 30" X 20" black-light apparitions of Imhotep's ghostly minions are dispersed throughout the roller coaster portion of the attraction. The "lost soul" apparitions emerge from total darkness, and soar past, appearing to guests in flashing split-second blinding images. This unique after-burn effect is perceived on a near-subliminal level, helping to "sear" the haunting, ghostly images into guests' minds.

LENGTH OF RIDE:

2,200 feet of dual rail track making up a four-minute experience - the scariest ever experienced in an indoor roller coaster thrill ride.

RAPID SPEED:

The ride catapults guests using linear induction motors at rapid speeds up to 45 mph through virtual darkness. It is the first attraction to use linear induction technology to propel vehicles through a themed environment.

EFFECTS:

At 6'8" and 650 pounds, the ride contains a robotic animated figure of the Mummy that is the most realistic and fluid animated figure ever created. The ride places "Brain Fire" flames directly over guests' heads, the first time an attraction has ever created a true immersive flame effect, with temperatures at ceiling level exceeding 3,400 degrees Fahrenheit. A smoke curtain effect at the launch of the coaster consumes up to 2,500 gallons of liquid nitrogen per day.

SCENICS:

More than 60,000 pounds of gypsum was used to fabricate the "ancient" slabs of stone making up the walls throughout the Mummy's tomb. More than 3,000 sheets of gold foil were used to create the Mummy's gleaming treasure in the attractions - foil that is typically used as wrapping paper for hamburgers. The huge statue of Anubis hanging in the stairwell of the attraction building weighs one ton. Many of the hieroglyphics decorating the walls spell out real words and warnings to the visitors.

OPENING:

May 2004 at Universal Studios Florida at Universal Orlando

Ok, now for the comparions: [PLEASE NOTE: Mummy will feature a great number of extragavant ride scenes that truly have never been used with a coaster to such a degree, the comparisons below simply are comparing the "coaster and audio" aspects of the ride to other "coasters".]

(1)Mummy Ride track: 2, 200 feet.....RnRC ride track: 3,403 feet...Hulk ride track:3,800 feet

(2) Mummy audio system: 200 speakers throughout attraction with 18,000 watts of sound...RnRC audio system: 900 speakers throughout attraction with 32,000 watts of sound

(3) Mummy ride vehicle: 16 passengers with 22 speakers on board...RnRC ride vehicle: 24 passengers with 120 speakers on board

(4) Mummy ride length: about 4 minutes...RnRC ride length: about 1 min 10 sec...Hulk ride length: about 2 min 15 sec (although Mummy's track length is shorter than either RnRC and Hulk, it is a longer ride because the vehicle stops for several scenes to happen and overall it is a much slower ride..which is made up by extragavant show scenes that both RnRc and Hulk lack)

(5)Mummy maximum speed: 45MPH ...RnRC maximum speed: 60 (58?) MPH..Hulk maximum speed: 67 MPH (initial launch is only 40 MPH)....Everest max spped 50MPH

(6) Mummy drop: 25 feet at 50 degree angle....Splash Mountain max drop: 52.5 feet at 45 degree angle...Everest max drop: 80 feet (angle unknown)

(7)"only indoor roller coaster to employ forward and backward motion through the technique of track switching"...until Everest opens

Speculation comparisons
(8) Ride capacity: this would take some calculations, but here are "numbers" if someone would like to figure it out for me: Mummy: 80 guests at once are on the 4 min ride at the same time (5 vehicles holding 16 passengers)...Mission:Space: up to 160 guests are on the 4 min ride at the same time (40 pods with 4 passengers).

(9) Mummy's "Ghostly Minnions".... at 30" by 20", each is only 2.5 feet by 1.7 feet....to me, they seem incredibly small, no? Sounds like each (25 total) will be like RnRC's props: "cutouts" lite by blacklight.

ogryn

I was reading this earlier.

It does seem quite short with a small drop. I still expect it to be quite an experience though.

Testtrack321

I like the spin. Rides 10 years old also use the Mag Lev type launch system. If anything, I'm even more un-impressed now than before!

imagineer boy

The sand idea is very interesting. Maybe they could use that on Space Mountain. My main complaint though is: Alan Silvestri's musical score for the Mummy Returns sucks! Jerry Goldsmith's musical score for the first mummy movie was by far better than Silvestri's version.

CTXRover

Original Poster
The "spin" is what is often used by everyone, including Disney, to get people excited and intrigued by the ride. Phrases like "biggest", "fastest", "most technologically advanced" are always thrown around even if they are stretching the truth. Its just that when you start to break this one down (as I did above), it really brings things into perspective that it this might not be *all* its played up to be in words, including its assertion to be the *first* ride ever to combine rollercoaster technology to a themed dark ride...the first there is actually probably the Matterhorn at DL...I do realize though is VERY, VERY different than the Matterhorn though.

In addition, I read over at another site that there is a ride at, guess this, Dollywood, that starts off slowly through what could be compared to as a "cheap" version of POTC, complete with dark ride scenes and animatronics, before entering a building that is on fire which signals the start of a (rather lackluster) coaster portion of the ride. I think Mummy will be absolutely fantastic and lightyears upon lightyears ahead of this Dollywood ride, don't get me wrong, but I'm not sure what to believe as there are simple, yet obvious exaggerations going on. I guess my best bet is to get myself over there and try it out when it finally opens to find out just how "impressive" Mummy really is.

AndyMagic

Originally posted by Testtrack321
I like the spin. Rides 10 years old also use the Mag Lev type launch system. If anything, I'm even more un-impressed now than before!
Yes, rides have been using LIM launching for a while now but Mummy is the first coaster to use "SLIMS" which allow the coaster to have variable speeds throughout the ride. Why would you be less impressed than before just because a press release told you stuff that you already knew about the ride? These press releases always pretend everything is the "first" or the "best" no matter what. It is PR crap so there is no need to be dissapointed by it.

AndyMagic

Originally posted by CTXRover
The "spin" is what is often used by everyone, including Disney, to get people excited and intrigued by the ride. Phrases like "biggest", "fastest", "most technologically advanced" are always thrown around. Its just that when you start to break this one down (as I did above), it really brings things into perspective that it this might not be *all* its played up to be...
The problem with you "breaking it down" using a comparison is that there is nothing to compare it to. You are essentially comparing a dark ride with a coaster portion with a completely indoor rollercoaster with cardboard cut-outs and an outdoor coaster that has a sole purpose of thrilling you. Mummy is meant to SCARE you by using effects and various other methods. The coaster portion is more of an "escape" than anything else and will feature a short drop and some turns. Mummy isn't a coaster, it's an indoor dark ride that uses coaster technology.

imagineer99

Sounds like Universal has created quite an interesting experience. For that, they should be commended! They have created an "ideal" roller coaster--one with story, special effects, and dark ride elements. Very cool.

However, it still is not enough to ever get me to enter a Universal Park ever again.:animwink:

CTXRover

Original Poster
Originally posted by AndyMagic
The problem with you "breaking it down" using a comparison is that there is nothing to compare it to. You are essentially comparing a dark ride with a coaster portion with a completely indoor rollercoaster with cardboard cut-outs and an outdoor coaster that has a sole purpose of thrilling you. Mummy is meant to SCARE you by using effects and various other methods. The coaster portion is more of an "escape" than anything else and will feature a short drop and some turns. Mummy isn't a coaster, it's an indoor dark ride that uses coaster technology.

Please let me acknowledge that I recognize that Mummy is MUCH more than just a "coaster" and apologize if I gave off any other type of impression. I've been following Mummy a lot and know quite a bit about it and have been excited for its opening for some time.

However, of the 10 main things concerning the technical aspects of the ride covered in the press release, I was able to easily compare 7 of them to features in exisiting rides....I was simply comparing the facts they provided that *could* be compared, nothing more and nothing less. Maybe because I have been under the impression by others (not at this site) that Mummy would be this super-amazing, fast, steep, loud, etc. *coaster* that would blow away everything currently in Orlando, in addition to the amazing dark ride scenes (which I clearly addressed in my comparisons that the rides I was comparing to LACKED this feature...in fact...I will add another statement in my first post re-emphasizing the fact) that I was left underimpressed with the above facts. I should admit though that I have known for some time now that Mummy would be more focused on the dark ride aspect than the coaster portion.

From a strictly coaster and audio standpoint then (minus the big dark ride scenes), Mummy is quite lackluster to what is already out there in the Orlando region, including its own use of what *sounds to be* rather small "cardboard cutouts" during the coaster portion. From a dark ride standpoint, it will be amazing....no argument here...the question is....how much more amazing then other extravagant dark rides. That is a comparison that will have to wait until we can ride it to know for sure.

DigitalDisney

Argh

I know that the ride will be exciting, but there is entirely too much hype surrounding it.

The ride will be short. That's a fact.

I have no doubt that some parts of the ride will be really well themed, but the 20"x30" black-lit minions? Come on. They're just cutouts that are lit when the coaster goes by them.

I have a feeling that the end will be completely unsatisfactory. There is all of this buildup with a detailed queue, and detailed show scenes. I wonder if it can finish just as well as it starts (this is just speculation).

I have a feeling that the animatronics are going to be overrated as well. Remember how Universal hyped their animatronics in Jurassic Park The Ride? They were alright, but they broke entirely too often.

I dunno. I'm a little skeptical. There are several scenes in the ride that could be plain terrifying if executed properly. We'll see...

imagineer99

Originally posted by DigitalDisney
Argh

I know that the ride will be exciting, but there is entirely too much hype surrounding it.

The ride will be short. That's a fact.

Even though the track is not long, the ride will be quite long. As was mentioned, the the car will pause at show scenes and slow down at others. Thus, it will last considerbly longer than Rockin' Rollercoaster and many other thrill rides.

AndyMagic

I'm pretty sure that the "minions" are not cuttouts. They are projections. Also important to note about the audio aspects... Mummy has audio both on the vehicle and in the actual set pieces of the attraction. RnR has more wattage pumping through the trains but none in the actual ride building.

mandib

Well now I'm scared but thats ok thats the point of it. Can't wait til it opens I'll be there at the end of May so I'm figuring it will be!

CTXRover

Original Poster
Apparently, Employee previews will happen tonight, even though 1 or 2 of the main animatronics have yet to be installed. This will probably mean some type of reviews from actual riders will start popping up tonight and tomorrow...which will give us all an idea of what is really behind that "Museum of Antiquities" facade :)

AndyMagic

Originally posted by CTXRover
Apparently, Employee previews will happen tonight, even though 1 or 2 of the main animatronics have yet to be installed. This will probably mean some type of reviews from actual riders will start popping up tonight and tomorrow...which will give us all an idea of what is really behind that "Museum of Antiquities" facade :)

HURRAY!! The only problem is... will the employees be allowed to give reviews? I guess either way, a few reviews will slip. I just hope the Universal stresses to the employees that the ride is NOT finished yet and they are getting a very early preview.

CTXRover

Original Poster
Originally posted by AndyMagic
I'm pretty sure that the "minions" are not cuttouts. They are projections.

I have just gotten some "reliable" info that they are in fact just cutouts and NOT moving projections on fog/mist as once believed. However, they are apparently also pretty amazing looking as you speed by them.

For a glimpse of what the cutouts of the "minions" will be like, head over to the official site for the ride: http://www.revengeofthemummy.com/ The short clip shown on the site shows some of the concept pics of these "minions".

AndyMagic

Early employee reviews have started coming in and they are VERY positive. I read one bad review that said it didn't compare to Indy or Spidey and that the effects were pretty standard but 4 major effects are still not working on the ride so it is still too early to tell. One thing everyone says though is that the queue for this thing is amazing. I can't wait!

CTXRover

Original Poster
A few reviews have started popping up and the are generally VERY positive with such descriptions as it being "amazing" and "wonderful".

Here is a short run-down on some things about the ride I've gathered from those lucky enough to preview it last night (note I have NOT been on it and the following do NOT necessarily represent my opinions on the ride....just a summary of what I've gathered from those I talked with or from reviews I read on the net):

1) It was stressed in actual pamphlets given out that it was ONLY a preview and that several of the main animatronic figures of Imhotep throughout the ride were not installed (his audio was there though). Beyond these figures (including an animatronic Imhotep that "chases" you), most everything else was in place and apparently even without the last figures the ride is still pretty awesome. Beyond some glitches and ride stops, the preview went pretty well.

2) The main queue is apparently quite well done and incredibly long, with comparisons being made in regard to its level of detail being on par with that found in Indy's queue at DL and the Dueling Dragons queue at IOA.

3) Most people though seemed disappointed with the ending. Apparently it ends quite suddenly with no real explanation on what stops Imhotep from chasing you into "hell" beyond a very quick glimpse of the "Magi Symbol" that is mentioned as being your only hope from the curse....both in the queue and once at the beginning of the ride. Those who rode it last night said it seemed like they had a bunch of fantastic ideas for a killer attraction but didn't know how to finish it..

4) The costumes worn by the employees are rather bland and are being considered to be disappointing, even by those who wear them.

5)For those of you who watched the CGI concept video that was once available on the web that I posted a link to a while ago....that is in fact the entire ride. Despite talks of the video being "spliced" and/or scenes cut out, that was apparently not quite the case, at least in regards to what was seen last night. Everything shown in that video is what happens in the ride with the exception of the backwards part. [SPIOLER ALERT] After the scarab sequence...your car plummets backwards down a short drop...and the end of this, your car turns 180 degrees on a switch track where you come face to face to another CG Mummy face before launching into the coaster portion

6) I've been hearing the length of the ride is around 3 minutes, but that isn't for certain yet as it was unofficially stated to be closer to 4 min....stay tuned.

Overall....Mummy sounds like it is a fantastic ride and seems to easily be one of the best attractions out there....but I still get the feeling from those I've talked to or read from on the net that Mummy is yet another victim of over-hype....this may though be because not all the effects/characters were present last night and that "feeling" may change.

AndyMagic

I find it odd that the animatronics of the Mummy himself are STILL not in the ride despite it officially opening in about a month. Wonder when they plan on installing him.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom