Rumor New Monorails Coming Soon?

M:SpilotISTC12

Unless they start charging to use the monorails (wouldn't put it past them), then new monorails will never come to WDW. There is literally no way to make money to justify the cost of it that haven't already implemented short of charging for it before you ride. Maybe if one breaks so bad that's catastrophic and there is a massive lawsuit and have no other choice. But otherwise what financial reason do they have to actually pull the trigger and do it.

Disone

Just like anything or anyplace else a handful of people complaining on a social platform does not a crowd make. I complained about the fact that a number of the attractions were the same story line with different characters, but never that there were to many screens. The screens at Uni are very well done and feel realistic. That is the difference.
In this case though, it was more than just social media. Sometimes social media is allowed minority. But sometimes it actually is aligned with what the general public is feeling or sane. And this case social media was more explaining why the brand new attraction, fast and furious, was completely failing to draw any crowds at all.

0 But I acknowledge we have come off topic here. I do love conversing with you. You always make me think. Even if we don't agree. In this case, we probably have to agree to not disagree. But there are other things you've said I completely agree with and I always enjoy the conversation. Thank you for keeping it civil.

TrainsOfDisney

what financial reason do they have to actually pull the trigger and do it.
What financial reason did they have to build the skyliner?

There is a financial reason to do anything that improves the WDW Resort and even more reason to do things that improve the experience for WDW Resort guests.

One thing that is worth discussing is that an “expansion of the WDW monorail system” could be a smaller monorail - not the expansion of the full size Mark VI / Mark VII style.

For example.... All-Stars to Blizzard Beach to Studios and Coronado Springs to Blizzard Beach to Hollywood studios. (The two lines could share tracks from BB to DHS).

M:SpilotISTC12

What financial reason did they have to build the skyliner?
Because you can’t market a new resort like Riviera, a resort that was supposed to rival GF, without some type of hyper specialized transportation. And the skyliner also lessens the amount of busses with the maintenance and gas costs. New monorails cars are nothing more than a deficit when they have some already.

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
If the monorails ever did go away wouldnt you think that would have an huge impact on resort sales for the now non existent "monorail" hotels? Not to mention now you need to find a way to transport all the people to TTC who have their cars parked there....

pdude81

Sure you can. I doubt the Riviera would have sold DVC’s drastically different without the skyliner.
I don't think there is any way they would build a big DVC tower there without they skyliner. Direct, non-bus transportation has always been responsible for premiums in room cost and high rental demand. Without the skyliner, you'd be adding quite a lot of rooms to that area requiring more bus traffic. What in the world would be more frustrating than being that close to epcot and sitting at the bus stop for 30 minutes waiting to get there?

Regarding sales volume, I personally would not have purchased there, especially in presale, without the speedier transport to multiple parks. And I think they may well have built the skyliner without Riviera, as it cuts down on fuel costs, maintenance, wages, and traffic. However, adding the tower there puts a lot more bodies on the Epcot line and balance the overall ridership a bit better.

Unless they start charging to use the monorails (wouldn't put it past them), then new monorails will never come to WDW. There is literally no way to make money to justify the cost of it that haven't already implemented short of charging for it before you ride. Maybe if one breaks so bad that's catastrophic and there is a massive lawsuit and have no other choice. But otherwise what financial reason do they have to actually pull the trigger and do it.
DVC members pay for the DVC portion of the use of transportation, including the monorail via annual dues. Perhaps the plan was adding VGF and soon Poly 2.0 rooms will put DVC members even more on the hook financially to replace the monorails. Sell rooms for 50 years that weren’t selling AND get them to pay for monorail replacement? Man, what a win.

It’s true that this still doesn’t create a financial reason to upgrade, but it does lower the cost.

This also brings up that DVC will have to be allowed to ride “free” as they’ve already paid via dues.

Monorail_Red_77

Since they instituted resort parking fees they are making sure everyone has a car to park, bonus is no more complaints about being charged when you took ME to get there.
Not quite sure how the resort fees are added to your resort stay. We have stayed multiple times since the fee was implemented and have never been charged when driving in, or leaving. We always book online via WDW. Just thought that was weird. Unless its is not shown as an individual line item and lumped into the actual room rate figure.

JoeCamel

Not quite sure how the resort fees are added to your resort stay. We have stayed multiple times since the fee was implemented and have never been charged when driving in, or leaving. We always book online via WDW. Just thought that was weird. Unless its is not shown as an individual line item and lumped into the actual room rate figure.
I don't know how they do it at WDW but Lowes it is separate charge but every room gets charged unless a override is processed. Default is being charged.

Disone

I don't know how they do it at WDW but Lowes it is separate charge but every room gets charged unless a override is processed. Default is being charged.
WDW resorts do not have a resort. They do have a parking fee if you park a vehicle but there is not a resort fee.

The Disneyland resort hotels do and they appear on your hotel statement as a separate charge from your nightly room rate.

JoeCamel

WDW resorts do not have a resort. They do have a parking fee if you park a vehicle but there is not a resort fee.

The Disneyland resort hotels do and they appear on your hotel statement as a separate charge from your nightly room rate.
You are correct, I didn't read correctly

drizgirl

When did the DLR hotels add a resort fee?

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
None of us know what Walt would have liked or disliked.
Not true -- we know he liked TRANSPORTATION. Submitted for your consideration:
a) Private miniature train in his backyard.
b) Trains around Disneyland and Magic Kingdom.
c) Boats. He loved boats. Sailing ship Columbia. The Mark Twain and other steamboats. Storybook Land Canal Boats. Rafts to Tom Sawyer Island. Indian canoes. Two fleets of submarines. All the boats in and around the parks in WDW.
d) Cars -- he loved those, too, hence Autopia and Tomorrowland Speedway. Antique firetrucks, double-decker trolleys and horse-drawn streetcars on Main Street.
e) Peoplemovers.
f) And he LOVED the Disneyland Monorail. That's why it was such a big part of WDW's first two parks.

Transportation systems will always be key to Disney parks, not just because they're functional, but also because they're attractions in themselves.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
When did the DLR hotels add a resort fee?
They haven't ... yet. Just about every other hotel in Anaheim does. Here's the room rate details for Grand Californian on the dates indicated...

Price per Night​

$682.00 USD Avg/Night Excl Tax
Per Night Rate Details
Tue, Sep 13$682.00
Wed, Sep 14$682.00

• Average rate per night based on the party size and travel dates you selected.
  • Excludes applicable taxes.
  • Availability has not been checked and is not guaranteed until payment is received.
  • Length of stay requirements may apply.
  • Additional per-adult charges may apply if more than two adults per room.

Goofyernmost

Transportation systems will always be key to Disney parks, not just because they're functional, but also because they're attractions in themselves.
That is a point that I have repeatedly tried to make about the non-conventional systems of travel. I don't put buses in the same category although they are fun for some. Maybe I spent way to many years driving buses to consider them a fun thing to do. But the boats, monorail and now the gondolas are indeed transportation and attractions all rolled up in one interesting package.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom