New Monorail To Be Pearl?

Mr.EPCOT

As aware of the event we all are, I think most Guests won't know which trains were involved, and a not insignificant amount that don't even know that anything happened. The color of the trains were not emphasized on the national news, and I don't think there was hardly any national coverage beyond that first day.

WDWRLD

It dosent matter if they recolored every monorail someone will figure out which ones were which previous color so why waste time.

Rob562

Just last night I was thinking that White might be a decent replacement color for the presumed color retirement of Purple. I guess Pearl is pretty close, but would stand out as being slightly different than the white of the rest of the train exterior.

How about Monorail Royal with a Royal Blue stripe? (Monorail Blue's blue is closer to a sky blue/indigo)

And while it's the only color of the 8 basic crayon colors, I don't think Brown would look good on a monorail train at all.

-Rob

Slipknot

Really? I'm curious...Can you tell us more?

Well, there was a time that Pink stopped itself for no apparent reason between Poly and Grand Floridian on the resort line. Power was ok on the beam and Monorail (monitor was on but was a blank white screen), radio(s) recieved all the incoming transmissions but no outgoing transmissions were allowed (pilot had to call Monorail Base [coordinator] to recieve instructions on what the heck to do) but the intercom phones worked fine.

There's some other stuff I've heard from Monorail Pilots, former Monorail Pilot co-workers, but can't remember them at the moment.

Mr.EPCOT

Each train definitely has their own personality. A couple have trouble getting up to 40 MPH, Purple had a very shrill, high-pitched horn at one end, etc. My favorite was Orange. Drives like a dream, and looks beautiful doing it!

EPCOT Explorer

As aware of the event we all are, I think most Guests won't know which trains were involved, and a not insignificant amount that don't even know that anything happened. The color of the trains were not emphasized on the national news, and I don't think there was hardly any national coverage beyond that first day.
Maybe it's my proximity, but there were reports for quite a bit of time.

EPCOT Explorer

Well, there was a time that Pink stopped itself for no apparent reason between Poly and Grand Floridian on the resort line. Power was ok on the beam and Monorail (monitor was on but was a blank white screen), radio(s) recieved all the incoming transmissions but no outgoing transmissions were allowed (pilot had to call Monorail Base [coordinator] to recieve instructions on what the heck to do) but the intercom phones worked fine.

There's some other stuff I've heard from Monorail Pilots, former Monorail Pilot co-workers, but can't remember them at the moment.
Wow! I'm surprised they let it stay like that!
Each train definitely has their own personality. A couple have trouble getting up to 40 MPH, Purple had a very shrill, high-pitched horn at one end, etc. My favorite was Orange. Drives like a dream, and looks beautiful doing it!

Heh. Very interesting! Any stories about Silver? I've coincidentally gotten it 3 years in a row.:lol:

Mr.EPCOT

Now that you mention it, I seem to remember one of the trains would stop by itself every once in a while. I think it was Red.

JML42691

Nothing that I have any specific proof of, but I recall several people saying some personality traits among the monorails in these forums, some of the ones I remember are that Red has the most responsive braking of all the monorails (which coincidently was the case on both the Mark IV and VI trains), Gold operates better from Cab 6 (howso I don't remember) which leads to it being put on Resort more often as Resort is the line driven from Cab 6, and I've heard that stuff about Pink randomly stopping at that spot on resort before too.

I've heard a few more too about some of the other colors, but none that I can remember off of the top of my head.

And as to the issue of people recognizing monorail colors and associating them with the incident, I think that the majority of guests wouldn't associate two specific monorail colors with the crash, but I think that in means of renaming those two trains with different colors might be more comforting to the CM that have to operate them. It may not be much, but I think that it would be more comfortable for a CM if there wasn't a direct relation with the monorail's call-name with the call-name with the monorail in the crash.

Monorail_Red

Nothing that I have any specific proof of, but I recall several people saying some personality traits among the monorails in these forums, some of the ones I remember are that Red has the most responsive braking of all the monorails (which coincidently was the case on both the Mark IV and VI trains), Gold operates better from Cab 6 (howso I don't remember) which leads to it being put on Resort more often as Resort is the line driven from Cab 6, and I've heard that stuff about Pink randomly stopping at that spot on resort before too.

I've heard a few more too about some of the other colors, but none that I can remember off of the top of my head.

And as to the issue of people recognizing monorail colors and associating them with the incident, I think that the majority of guests wouldn't associate two specific monorail colors with the crash, but I think that in means of renaming those two trains with different colors might be more comforting to the CM that have to operate them. It may not be much, but I think that it would be more comfortable for a CM if there wasn't a direct relation with the monorail's call-name with the call-name with the monorail in the crash.

Here's a few things I know.

As to Monorail Red, it has been known to throw out random overspeeds.

As to Monorail Pink stopping, a lot of times coming out of the Contemporary it would miss some of the transponders.

It wouldn't surprise me if there was a new monorail color. Remember, 64 tons coming to a dead stop at any speed = holy crap. There could be chassis damage a few cars in remember. So I wouldn't be surprised for a new monorail color to be assembled from cars 1-3 of Pink and cars 4-6 of Purple, scrapping the "bad" sections of the trains...of course using all the parts that they can salvage on the rest of the system so it's not like the scrapped cars will go to waste.

Monorail Pearl would be nice IMO. But the colors can't be too similar because they use the color stripes to identify trains off in the distance.

But remember, it's Disney so nothing is ever set-in-stone.

board57796

Red is my least favorite (Sorry, Monorail Red...) because it is VERY unforgiving on going over the speed limit. When drivers are being chosen for the exit, Red is avoided like the plague.

I was the one that said Gold runs better from Cab 6, and its still true.

Purple's Cab 6 horn was, as Mr.Epcot said, absolutely ridiculous sounding. It sounded like a clown car and the first time I hit it I about laughed my you-know-what off.

And, like Mr.Epcot, Orange is my favorite :)

Oh and I hear a door fell off of Green a few weeks ago at the Flo...

Silver slides HORRIBLY coming to a stop. You can pull the same manuever coming to a stop in any other train, but you will stop 10 feet fartHer in Silver. Thats another train to avoid for the exit. Also its Cab 1 horn starts weak and gets super loud like "ffffffffffFFFFF-WAAAAAAAAA"

Purple Cab 1 had my absolute favorite horn, responsive and LOUD.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom