New modern day costumes coming to American Adventure?

KevinYee

The AttractionsMagazine article by Lonnie is all I need to tell me two things:

1. this is real (he's a real CM there)
2. this is not a good thing in the slightest, and I don't need to "see" the costumes to dislike them

If Lonnie finds the new costumes to be out of theme, I am confident they are out of theme. Lonnie is the quintessential Disney CM. Always in character, always chipper onstage - and he's lived the whole thing for much more than a decade.

I_heart_Tigger

The Washington Irving characters would be super! Good idea!

I may get attacked for this one but if they would gut the AA attraction and make a Headless Horseman ride I would be so thrilled. Of course that's a pretty isolated bit of Americana there - but c'mon, that would be sweet :D

I_heart_Tigger

The AttractionsMagazine article by Lonnie is all I need to tell me two things:

1. this is real (he's a real CM there)
2. this is not a good thing in the slightest, and I don't need to "see" the costumes to dislike them

If Lonnie finds the new costumes to be out of theme, I am confident they are out of theme. Lonnie is the quintessential Disney CM. Always in character, always chipper onstage - and he's lived the whole thing for much more than a decade.

as Pooh would say, "Oh bother" :( This does not sound good

cspencer96

If I may throw in my two cents of how I have always viewed the pavilion. From the first time I visited World Showcase, I noticed something very different about The American Adventure compared to the other pavilions. For one, the name - Canada's pavilion is called "Canada", France is "France", but with America's pavilion, being the host pavilion of World Showcase, the Imagineers didn't name it "America" or "United States". The American Adventure is set up as more of a very detailed and immersive museum atmosphere representing the country it calls home, not a trip back to the colonial and post-colonial United States we see in Liberty Square at Magic Kingdom - remember, the Imagineers, at least in 1982, didn't like repeating themselves. Yes, the colonial attire makes sense, but contemporary suits are not completely out of theme. The American Adventure's intent is not to transport you to another country, considering you are in the country it represents already. It doesn't mean to make you feel like you have been sent back in time, because there is a museum filled with artifacts of America's history from colonial days until the age of spaceflight, and the showcase of flags contains banners and flags from all American states, as well as flags representing the history of the country's own flag. Not to mention the main rotunda room features paintings and quotes of great Americans throughout our history, not just the founding fathers. The building's architecture is symbolic of our nation's birthplace and founding, and to me, that is its purpose. Yes, the change would be odd if you have seen the other costumes since the 1980's, but all things considered, it wouldn't be entirely out of theme, either.

I_heart_Tigger

I don't have a problem with new costumes. What I wonder about is the term new "modern" costumes. It's the "modern" part that scares me a little. How modern are we talking here and what does that mean for the rest of the pavilion costumes.

Like I said, I loved the Canadian ones for comfort especially in the summer. So i'm hoping my Canadian counterparts don't have to sacrifice comfort for "moderness"

Also what constitues "Modern". Business suits? Jeans and tees? and how would the costumes be distict to the countries if they are modern since in general many of the countries represented have the same type of business or day wear.

I'm open to change but until I see the changes I am wary.

cspencer96

I don't have a problem with new costumes. What I wonder about is the term new "modern" costumes. It's the "modern" part that scares me a little. How modern are we talking here and what does that mean for the rest of the pavilion costumes.

Like I said, I loved the Canadian ones for comfort especially in the summer. So i'm hoping my Canadian counterparts don't have to sacrifice comfort for "moderness"

Also what constitues "Modern". Business suits? Jeans and tees? and how would the costumes be distict to the countries if they are modern since in general many of the countries represented have the same type of business or day wear.

I'm open to change but until I see the changes I am wary.
Modern must be taken with a grain of salt, yes. But today's 'modern' and professional means clean lines and simplicity, not jeans and T-shirts.

J03Y

how "non-period" are we talking exactly? i mean, i always felt the period costumes looked very outdated considering it doesn't depict modern-day culture (though not all of them do really o_O ), but i mean... i don't want them looking like rip offs of Jersey Shore and the Kardasians with designer tees and jeans. that's just way off the norm of how Americans dress first of all, and second it's so tacky to associate America with that kind of clothing.

I_heart_Tigger

Modern must be taken with a grain of salt, yes. But today's 'modern' and professional means clean lines and simplicity, not jeans and T-shirts.

I just read the Attractions Magazine article refrenced and found the description to be more of a "flight attendant" style. Much better than jeans and tees of course but still...I rather enjoy the period costumes of all the pavilions and if they all end up dressing like flight attendants I think we will lose a bit if the distinctiness between cultures.

I also wonder if people will be less likely to believe that the CM's are from each country. I realize that a costume change shouldn't cause more confusion than there already is but if everyone is dressed basically the same the perception for some may be that anyone can work in any pavilion. What little authenticity there is of the culture could be lost if everyone dresses like flight attendants.

docandsix

Count my position as very, very skeptical. Reading the editorial from Orlando Attractions leaves me troubled, as the suggestion of flight attendant uniforms inspires extremely negative images in my mind.

WDW1974: How best to protest this stupidity? Please provide a name and address, if possible.

MissM

The thing is, there are already "Flight Attendant" style costumes in Epcot. Soarin' anyone?

21Soarin.jpg

Is this really the appropriate look for a Colonial-inspired pavilion? Kinda absurd if you ask me. (But apparently, according to the article referenced, no one at all was asked which is why it seems we might be facing this really pointless change in the first place. o_O )

Bolna

I think the point is really that all those World Showcase costumes are period costumes. Some from long ago, some from more recent times. The German clothes are actually only representing Bavaria which is only a part of Germany - and they aren't even historic, but a fashion invented in the late 19th century as a "rural dress". I think the same is true of most of the other costumes: they are a fashion from a specific time which now has become the stereotype of a "national dress".

But I still think it fits the theme of the pavilion just as the historic costumes fit the American pavilion. They do fit the architecture and ambiance and that is what is important. A "modern, professional look" does not connect to time and place at all - it can be worn everywhere. Just look at any large city in the world today: people all look more or less the same.

The funny, but also very sad thing about this is however: At the same time when two new areas open at DCA with various new different costumes that connect to the lands, WDW goes for a generic everywhere look. What was the title of that other thread?

aladdin2007

I swear the second ANY news comes out it's automatically considered bad news.

There are new costumes coming, and they look better than the old. Way better, to be honest. They look more professional and fitting towards WS as a whole, being The American Adventure IS the host pavilion.

If ya'll are freaking out about these changes I'm petrified to see the response when other pavilions change theirs in a few weeks.

Also, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say nobody even took notice to BoardWalk, Contemporary or Wilderness Lodge changing up some costumes on the front desk?

Before we start picking apart one costume choice make sure you have your cards in order.

Horrible news :mad:

dreamfinder

The costumes in all the WS countries may not be a fair representation of a wardrobe that is/was worn by a large portion of the country. Just the same way that the actual pavilions aren't a fair representation of the entire country. Fairly certain that there are other types of buildings in Mexico beyond Temples, and that not everything is Canada is a log cabin. But rather they are chosen to be instantly recognizable as being from a certain country. So even though most people in Norway may not wear those costumes on a daily basis (or at all) most people could look at a Norway CM and assume they are from a Scandinavian country. Changing from a colonial style costume, to a business suit of some form would indicate to me that that CM either got lost on their way to Soarin', or were at a conference at the Swolphin and had a bit to much to drink. And switching to a blatant red/white/blue costume just screams YEAH AMERICA!. The current ones are subtle and non pretentious. This thread is kinda useless without pictures, but I find it hard to think that suiting could be done in a manner to comfortably and attractively fit the wide range of body types employed by Disney, as well as being difficult to convey USA without being tacky.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I'd love to know who was responsible for this ... someone who clearly needs to make 'decisions' to justify the fact they work for Disney and not down at the outlet mall.

C'mon ... there has to be someone who wants to do battle over this stupidity.
Walt Disney Imagineering.

Apparently guest feedback for the last few years is that World Showcase is dated, and that costumes are the main issue. WDI was tasked with changing this, and the new costumes are being championed by them. They are aiming to make World Showcase a modern day version of the "world", not a time-capsule museum.

Just before anyone jumps on the current Epcot VP, this was long before her time.

AA and Mexico are the first up.

I'm looking forward to see what they come up with. Epcot does not need to be a museum.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/Attractions...oming-to-Epcot's-World-Showcase-pavilions.htm

asianway

Original Poster
Walt Disney Imagineering.

Apparently guest feedback for the last few years is that World Showcase is dated, and that costumes are the main issue. WDI was tasked with changing this, and the new costumes are being championed by them. They are aiming to make World Showcase a modern day version of the "world", not a time-capsule museum.

Just before anyone jumps on the current Epcot VP, this was long before her time.

AA and Mexico are the first up.

I'm looking forward to see what they come up with. Epcot does not need to be a museum.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/Attractions...oming-to-Epcot's-World-Showcase-pavilions.htm

You won't get an argument from me that WS is dated, but how someone managed to tie that to the costumes is beyond me. Reeks of an on the cheap way to address the complaints without doing anything substantial.

djlaosc

You won't get an argument from me that WS is dated, but how someone managed to tie that to the costumes is beyond me. Reeks of an on the cheap way to address the complaints without doing anything substantial.

Cheaper than building a new ride in each pavilion to freshen them up!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom