NEW MK SHOW INFO....DHR replacement....

sillyspook13

It felt like one big advertisement for the character greeting areas........:hurl:

There was hardly any seating for the adults, so mist of them were crammed in with the little ones. This left little room for line dancing.

I guess that if I was a small child I would have enjoyed the show...... but it wasn't as much fun as the original.

JLW11Hi

THis is from AllEarsNet:
http://wdwig.com/mk_goof.htm

(QUote)

INTRODUCTION

Goofy's Country Dancin' Jamboree marks the reopening of the Diamond Horseshoe Saloon in the Magic Kingdom's Frontierland, but, let me tell you, this new show bears no resemblance to the Revue previously housed here. This jamboree is all about kids and characters and photo ops!

ATTRACTION

Goofy's Country Dancin' Jamboree -- The food is gone, and all of the tables have been cleared out of the lower level of the saloon, since it's here that all of the character interaction takes place. Seating is available in the upper level, but aside from a brief appearance by Chip and Dale up there, the characters spend all their time downstairs. There are also benches along the wall in the rear of the saloon's first floor. This means that everyone on the floor stands, or dances, for the 20-minute show.

The show starts with a musical number from your host -- I saw cowgirl Sarah Jo -- who then introduces the big G himself, Goofy, all decked out in country western attire. After performing a song or two, Goofy and Sarah Jo introduce the rest of the cast: Chip and Dale, and Woody, Jessie, and the trusty steed Bullseye from Toy Story 2. The characters mingle with guests on the floor, while Goofy and Sarah Jo lead a variety of country line dances, including the Electric Slide and a variation of the Chicken Dance, to tunes such as Cotton-Eyed Joe.

This interaction will undoubtedly delight the little ones, who I saw looking up at the characters in awe as they twirled and danced right alongside them. There were lots of laughing parents, too, scrambling to get photos -- I'm sure they were able to get some great shots up so close and personal!

The show closes with all the characters gathering onstage for a grand finale, and they pose for one last group shot before exiting, apparently for more meet and greet opportunities in Mickey's Toontown.

TOURING TIPS

Since this is a new show, it's bound to be very popular initially. It would probably be wise to get in line at least 15 minutes before show time if you want to be on the dance floor with the characters.

Remember to bring your cameras to this show -- it's definitely designed for photo opportunities!

(End Quote)

It sounds pretty cheesey to me! :) I will sure miss the old Diamond Horseshoe....I still can't believe it wasn't getting enough attendance....it was always packed when I went there. What the heck? Well, there'll always be the one at Disneyland!

careship

Thanks to you both for filling me in. I am so disappointed already and I still have 9 days before I get there. I loved DHR the way it was and the show was always packed. The food was always great. It's such a huge letdown to know they changed it this drastically. They have ToonTown for character greets and MGM for that kind of stuff. My kids won't get into it all. They loved DHR.

We usually go in March and the Treehouse and island were always closed, so we'll spend some quality time with those two attractions and pass right by my old favorite. I won't watch it knowing what they've done to it.

WDWFREAK53

Am I the only person that thinks this is good?

1. Little kids love characters
2. Adults enjoy seeing the characters interact
3. Perfect style show to incorporate characters into Frontierland
4. Great photo ops with kids and characters having fun together...not just "posing"

Sure, it may be "just another character meet" but think of it this way...it's a character meet with flair. (Not 15 pieces...but still it has flair).

careship

Argh....

I must say in hindsight.....

My son just read about it and is all excited to see Bullseye. My love for DHR clouds my personal feelings.

While it is sad they took DHR from all of us lovers of it, the kids are going to love this place.

CTXRover

I'm a little upset to hear that this isn't really a new "show", but really a glorified meet and greet. Is this the right take on it? I actually never really cared for the DHS before and was hoping for a neat, new show. Oh well.

Its better than just having lines to meet these characters though. In fact, I must say that it is nice that they are creating shows that enable such interaction with the characters. This brings the characters to a new level of reaching out to the guests. No longer are the characters simply going down a parade route separated from the audience by simple rope barriers and no longer do you only get to see them for 30 seconds to a minute (or less) after waiting in a long line to get your picture with them. For us "older" kids without small kids, this probably doesn't sound that great. But who doesn't like the Disney characters here? :)

I think its great that Disney has listened to guests and have increased the character experiences. I just hope they don't create too many character meeting opportunities that it lowers the "specialness" of it.

meeko_33785

I think it looks pretty cute, Kind of loooks like a Playhoyuse Disney at MGM and the old Character show they use to do at Mickey's Birthdayland/ Starland. Looks like a great addition to Frontierland. It's not exactly my type of attraction, but it's still a great addition. :D

JasonCajun

That is disappointing. There are enough Character greeting places anyway. It may very well be good for the kids, but there has to be something to attract adults and even teenagers. More character meet and greets are not the answer.

JLW11Hi

I dunno...I mean, its great and all that its a nice show for children and their families...but can't there be other ways to involve a character show like this without taking out a really well-rounded show like DHS? I mean, I'm just 18, so I doubt I would enjoy this show like I would if I were younger. The DHS had children involvement and all....heck, they coud have just incorporated the characters into the old show! I could see Woody and Friends poping out after the other Frontierland-style characters. THey used to have jokes and stuff for everyone, some jokes would fly over the heads of some, but the younger ones could still enjoy the interactive things like when they played a song on a guitar and had the kids come up and dance or follow the leader type thing, and there was usually singing involved.

The Magic Kingdom already seems very geared to younger ones more than anyone else to me...they have all of Mickeys Toontown and Fantasyland.

Well, whatever. At least they did somethign with the building, and I do agree that the families are the most important groups to Disney, so thats cool.

Gucci65

One of the most memorable shows I saw at DHS was last December and it involved a 4 yr old (she was great)!!

I will miss DHS, but my daughter is excited about the new one so we will visit in about 21 days.

meeko_33785

Here are my thoughts about why this replacement happened. I may be way off, but here's what I can tell.

1) The characters are very popular right now. Both of their recent character-based shows, Cinderella's Surprise Celebration at MK and Playhouse Disney live at MGM, had gotten very good reviews from guests and perhaps Disney was trying to see if they could strike another hit with this show.

2) For years, WDW has always had two Country/ Western Shows- the Diamond Horseshow Jamboree and the Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Review. While not exactly alike, they do have similar themes. Most guests would most likely only do one show of the same theme per trip, so having two probably seemed redundant. Since HDD is definatly much more popular, DHJ was chosen to go.

3) Chances are good that the decision had something to do with the addition of Dolly Parton's Dixie Stampeed in Orlando, which would give guests yet another Country/ Western Dinner Show alternative. Thus, part of those who may see HDD or DHJ would probably skip it in order to see the new show. Since part of Disney's audience would be gone, it would be silly to keep both of the shows open.

MKCustodial

Originally posted by meeko_33785
Here are my thoughts about why this replacement happened. I may be way off, but here's what I can tell.

1) The characters are very popular right now. Both of their recent character-based shows, Cinderella's Surprise Celebration at MK and Playhouse Disney live at MGM, had gotten very good reviews from guests and perhaps Disney was trying to see if they could strike another hit with this show.

2) For years, WDW has always had two Country/ Western Shows- the Diamond Horseshow Jamboree and the Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Review. While not exactly alike, they do have similar themes. Most guests would most likely only do one show of the same theme per trip, so having two probably seemed redundant. Since HDD is definatly much more popular, DHJ was chosen to go.

3) Chances are good that the decision had something to do with the addition of Dolly Parton's Dixie Stampeed in Orlando, which would give guests yet another Country/ Western Dinner Show alternative. Thus, part of those who may see HDD or DHJ would probably skip it in order to see the new show. Since part of Disney's audience would be gone, it would be silly to keep both of the shows open.

I really don't follow you. Hoop-Dee-Doo and that Dolly Parton thing are dinner shows. Diamond Horseshoe wasn't a dinner show, at least that I know of. It was a show inside a building where you could eat if you wanted to. And this new one is just a spruced-up character greet, nothing like an actual show like Cinderella's Surprise Celebration.

I just don't see why they couldn'have done a show strictly with Frontierland-type characters, like Woody, Jess and Bullseye and maybe the Country Bears or even Brers Bear, Rabbit and Fox. Throwing in Goofy and Chip and Dale seems weird to me. Truth be told, WDW treats Chip and Dale like cannon fodder, don't you think? Whenever they need characters to show up, the chipmunks are there! :lol:

meeko_33785

Originally posted by MKCustodial
I really don't follow you. Hoop-Dee-Doo and that Dolly Parton thing are dinner shows. Diamond Horseshoe wasn't a dinner show, at least that I know of. It was a show inside a building where you could eat if you wanted to.

Let's see... it was a show... where you eat... the average guest would call that a dinner show. The average guest probably not see the Diamond Horseshoe show if they had already seen either Hoop Deee Doo or the Dixie Stampeed. They were all, ecentially, Country/ Western Dinner Shows and guests would not likely waste their time by seeing all of such simialr shows. Hence, there is not too much of a need to have two shows of such a close theme at WDW to compete against both eachother and Dixie Stampeed, so one was closed.

MKCustodial

Originally posted by meeko_33785
Let's see... it was a show... where you eat... the average guest would call that a dinner show.

All I was pointing out here was that, even though you could choose not to eat at Diamond Horseshoe, I don't believe you can go to Hoop-Dee-Doo and choose not to eat. So in my mind it wasn't a dinner show.

Sorry for any confusion. :wave:

meeko_33785

Originally posted by MKCustodial
All I was pointing out here was that, even though you could choose not to eat at Diamond Horseshoe, I don't believe you can go to Hoop-Dee-Doo and choose not to eat. So in my mind it wasn't a dinner show.

Sorry for any confusion. :wave:

While I agree with you that it wasn't really a dinner show in the way that either Hoop-Dee-Doo or Dixie Stampeed is, I was trying to say that the average guest would take one look at DHJ and think it was a dinner show since it was dinner and a show, if that makes sence.

JLW11Hi

Is the Hoop Dee Doo really that popular? Is it better than the old DHS? I've never seen it yet.

I guess if guests would sooner or later have to stop and eat somewhere, I would think the Horseshoe would be a top pick, because it was defenetly the best themed eatery around...probably the most fun, anyway. I mean, the MK is the only park in WDW that is really missing a good, popular place to eat...in my mind anyway. MGM has all these great themed restaurants and Epcot does it really fancy and all.

Gucci65

Last time I was there, you could purchase popcorn or ice cream. I may be wrong , but I don't think that's dinner:lol: at least not to anyone over the age of 10.

careship

Originally posted by Gucci65
Last time I was there, you could purchase popcorn or ice cream. I may be wrong , but I don't think that's dinner:lol: at least not to anyone over the age of 10.

Oh we used to get the best sandwiches there. It really was alot of fun and good eats. It will be missed, but I'm sure for the kids who like those characters, it will be loved. I know I didn't want to go there now, but my sons love the Toy Story characters.

Gucci65

Very interesting, I guess I didn't pay attention. That and the fact that I didn't want to eat after coming in from the heat. We always caught the show during the day.

I will still check out the new show in 20 days, although I personally don't like Goofy - but that's another topic..........

nikechic

Looking forward to seeing the show. I will be the one up there dancing. I will be knocking the kids out of the way to get more room.
I am going to miss have a snack that my family usually looks forward to at the diamond Horseshoe...but I guess we will just have to find any other spot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom