New Mexican Restaurant Coming to Downtown Disney

nytimez

...just stunned to learn that Disney even has a test kitchen with actual chefs in it, employed by them, these days...

COProgressFan

...just stunned to learn that Disney even has a test kitchen with actual chefs in it, employed by them, these days...

Well, keep in mind it is the old kitchen from a sit down restaurant that was shuttered years ago. (Although I'm sure it's been retrofitted a bit to fit current needs). And from what I'd gather it's only used when it needs to be by existing food & bev people from other locations across property.

invader

Sounds like good news, although it would be much better if it were authentic Tex-Mex instead. Also, whats keeping me from driving five minutes down the road to Chevy's at the crossroads? It would most likely be 1/2 the price.

Beholder

I hate being in the "something's better than nothing" crowd, but I do like this idea. This "something" is definitely better than nothing. Give us good food, great theme and detail, and I'll be there!

WDW1974

also, would be sort of surprising to be adding in another latin themed eatery. There is already Bongos and Paradiso.

Yep. My thoughts exactly.

Don't see any new Mexican places coming to WDW ... also recall that the Mexican pavilion addded the Hacienda on the water and the tequila bar inside.

I doubt very much that Paradiso is looking for competition or that its contract even would allow for Disney to bring in one.

dolce20

When it comes to DTD, all I want to hear are two words: Adventurer's. Club.

Yes, I'm one of "those". But seriously, it was SO entertaining, SO Disney. At this point of they re-opened it and served nachos I'd be happy.

Disneyhead'71

Paradiso 37, La Hacienda, La Cava del Tequila, Pollo Campero,....now this? Enough with the Latin fare already. Why don't they just open an honest to God American Steak House somewhere in DtD. Or maybe have the Disney chef's try and develop something similar to Ted's Montana Grill.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Paradiso 37, La Hacienda, La Cava del Tequila, Pollo Campera,....now this? Enough with the Latin fare already. Why don' they just open an honest to God American Steak House somewhere in DtD. Or maybe have the Disney chef's try and develop something similar to Ted's Montana Grill.

There is almost no chance this happens. It makes no sense at all.

SirLink

Paradiso 37, La Hacienda, La Cava del Tequila, Pollo Campera,....now this? Enough with the Latin fare already. Why don' they just open an honest to God American Steak House somewhere in DtD. Or maybe have the Disney chef's try and develop something similar to Ted's Montana Grill.

I'm more weirded out by the fact they like the live music-restaurant-shop combo that they haven't done a Barbecue place....

Or I am more weirded out by the fact they haven't just gone and got Adventures Club model and stuck a few new twists on the themes and created three new clubs: World Explorers Club(seen as that is the new brigade that Disney brings in for the convention business) Illusion Link Club (celebrating magicians and sorcerers) and the Astronomers Club(celebrating inventors)... such an easy fix a way to keep resort guests/day guests end their day in DTD, puts less pressure on the parks...and the prop work and special effects would be insane...easy money on the table...

CP I know your reading this ... tell your bosses ... I'll even be your consultant....

71jason

I'm more weirded out by the fact they like the live music-restaurant-shop combo that they haven't done a Barbecue place....

The lack of bar-b-que at WDW has always struck me. As far as I can recall, only Flame Tree (a QSR) and the long-gone Fireworks Factory. Seems like a natural fit that there would be two or three around property, especially DTD.

Re: competition. Bongos is Cuban--in this part of the country, call a Cuban "Mexican" and you're asking for a fight. Pollo Campero is South American, so "Latin," but doesn't serve a lot of stereotypical "Tex-Mex" or "Cal-Mex" food (e.g. tacos, burritos). So we're really only looking at Paradiso offering any sort of direct competition.

The larger question to me is: does DTD need another table-service restaurant without kid-friendly robots? Christmas week or Spring Break maybe, but the rest of the year the existing market seems fairly saturated. You walk up even at 7:00 p.m., you're going to be seated right away at Raglan or Paradiso or Bongos. The lines at Earl (and formerly at McDonalds) indicate a quick-serve is desperately needed--maybe that is the plan here?

Finally, an only Nixon can go to China moment. I will put my Adventurers Club fanboi credentials up against anybody (well, except Master Gracie--and even he comes to me for questions about the drinks!). PM me and I'll let you know my deep connections to that bar. But not every PI/DTD thread needs to turn into another "Save the Adv Club" debate. Yeah, it was the best thing Disney ever built (no sarcasm there, I'll stand behind that argument), yeah, they should bring it back, but that's got nothing to do with the topic at hand. And it has its own thread.

juniorthomas

I am excited about this potential new restaurant. Let's just hope they don't fancy up the menu too much. Mexican food should be more simple, not gourmet. I would like to see them serve tacos al carbon. They used to be my favorite food at Food and Wine festival. Sadly, they no longer serve them.

Agreed. TexMex doesn't need to be glam. It just needs to be GOOD.

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
Agreed. TexMex doesn't need to be glam. It just needs to be GOOD.

A Chipotle-type concept at DTD would be fantastic! I agree with someone earlier who said that DTD is really lacking quick service locations and some quick Tex-Mex would be a great option in my opinion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom