New Marvel/Disney announcement at D23

jensenrick

It's not info it's corporate America. The more powerful it gets the more power it wants. Disney will eventually buy the contract to marvel superhero island and build a new park at the resort.

They will?!? A whole new Marvel park? WOW< HOW EXCITING! I can hardly wait to ride the Hulk coaster and the Spiderman ride, and get my picture with Captain America- in thirty years when TDO finishes building all that. :facepalm: Oh, I forgot- I don't have to wait. I can do that tomorrow with a quick drive up I-4.

Why else would they want to buy a comic company?

INORITE?! It doesn't make any sense. :bookworm: They obviously bought Marvel because TDO is super excited to build lots of exciting new attractions like they have lately . . . hey wait a minute! :cautious:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
You guys do realize Disney now owns more than 80% of marvel comics. Recently going so bold as to buy all movie rights from paramount. Universal never made anything permanent. Possibly my guess was a 50 year contract on marvel superhero island. Shades of green the millitary holding at Disney is leased for 100 years. So I'm guessing with something as similar as that there would only be a few years left to the marvel contract. Disney has the power to void such contract if they so pleased they have the money and lawyers to do so. After all this is the same company that allowed Florida to be state tax free and be able to build a nuclear facility on site. Disney has the power to be a bully like Walmart yet they don't want to take the mom and pop stores from the tiny town. They like the competition but once the numbers beg differ disney will move its chess pieces to bring marvel to the 42 square mile resort.

The contract with Uni has no end date...

MARVEL AGREEMENT BETWEEN MCA INC. AND MARVEL ENTERTAINMENT GROUP

It's not info it's corporate America. The more powerful it gets the more power it wants. Disney will eventually buy the contract to marvel superhero island and build a new park at the resort. Why else would they want to buy a comic company? Movies don't count because they could have just bought the film division not the entire thing.

It's likely that buying out the rights would only become economically viable when the popularity of Marvel dropped to a point at which it wouldn't be worth building a theme park. They bought the company to get control of the IP, just buying the film division wouldn't have given them that. They are also free to use Marvel in all their other parks.

The contract with Uni has no end date...

MARVEL AGREEMENT BETWEEN MCA INC. AND MARVEL ENTERTAINMENT GROUP

It's likely that buying out the rights would only become economically viable when the popularity of Marvel dropped to a point at which it wouldn't be worth building a theme park. They bought the company to get control of the IP, just buying the film division wouldn't have given them that. They are also free to use Marvel in all their other parks.

Thank you.

I could see them buying out the rights from Comcast so they can use the characters at Walt Disney World.

More likely Comcast will sit on the rights with a big grin. They don't need the money.
I agree they don't need the money, but that's never stopped a corporation before.

Here's my next question. I know Comcast has rights for Marvel east of the Mississippi, but can they open new rides? Can they build an Avengers ride at Universal, or would they need permission?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
1. Comcast would take in millions or billions.
2. The rides @ SuperHero Island could all easily be made to fit some other theme.
'

The question is not why should Uni sell, they probably would be happy to if offered enough money, the bigger question is why should Disney buy. They would probably have to spend a huge amount of money to buy the rights, then a ton more money to exploit them with attractions. How long would it take to get a return on that investment? If Disney was that interested in exploiting Marvel we would all ready see attractions under construction at other parts.

I agree they don't need the money, but that's never stopped a corporation before.

Here's my next question. I know Comcast has rights for Marvel east of the Mississippi, but can they open new rides? Can they build an Avengers ride at Universal, or would they need permission?

I think this is open to debate. The contract says the Marvel gets to review anything Uni wants to build and has "reasonable" right of rejection. The contract defined reasonable as :

"Whenever Marvel has “reasonable” rights for rejection of approval hereunder, the basic criteria to be used by Marvel may include inconsistency with (i) basic story line, (ii) the powers, (iii) basic personality traits, (iv) physical appearance (including clothing or costume), and/or (v) living habitat or environment relating to such character as portrayed in Marvel’s exploitation of such character in comic books or other products for the particular time period being depicted by MCA. "

So to me this would mean that Disney couldn't just outright reject a request from Uni to build more attractions, but I know others on the board differ on this point.

BTW, for regulars on this board, yes, we are rehashing this again for the 1000th time. :)

'

The question is not why should Uni sell, they probably would be happy to if offered enough money, the bigger question is why should Disney buy. They would probably have to spend a huge amount of money to buy the rights, then a ton more money to exploit them with attractions. How long would it take to get a return on that investment? If Disney was that interested in exploiting Marvel we would all ready see attractions under construction at other parts.

I think this is open to debate. The contract says the Marvel gets to review anything Uni wants to build and has "reasonable" right of rejection. The contract defined reasonable as :

"Whenever Marvel has “reasonable” rights for rejection of approval hereunder, the basic criteria to be used by Marvel may include inconsistency with (i) basic story line, (ii) the powers, (iii) basic personality traits, (iv) physical appearance (including clothing or costume), and/or (v) living habitat or environment relating to such character as portrayed in Marvel’s exploitation of such character in comic books or other products for the particular time period being depicted by MCA. "

So to me this would mean that Disney couldn't just outright reject a request from Uni to build more attractions, but I know others on the board differ on this point.

BTW, for regulars on this board, yes, we are rehashing this again for the 1000th time. :)

I think in time Disney will become that interested in attractions with Marvel characters.

lazyboy97o

I think in time Disney will become that interested in attractions with Marvel characters.
Will Wall Street ever be that interested? Disney is still not all that close to making a return on their $4 billion investment due to all of the other parties who get a cut of Marvel's action.

Will Wall Street ever be that interested? Disney is still not all that close to making a return on their $4 billion investment due to all of the other parties who get a cut of Marvel's action.

Eventually they will. Especially when the film rights to the other characters revert back to Disney.

I hope you are wrong about this. I would much rather see Disney spend the money they would use to buy back the rights on actually building attractions based on something they are allowed to use.

We may simply disagree. I'd love to see an Avengers attraction, or an Asgard based restaurant.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom