News New look for Disney Magical Express to debut this summer

lazyboy97o

Maybe it has to do with wanting the Magical Express buses to look less out of place when used in conjunction with the cruise line buses. To me, using buses in the very different cruise line livery always came off as cheap, like they didn't have enough buses to go around... probably because they didn't have enough buses to go around.
If this is the case then the easy solution would be to “expand” Magical Express to serve the Cruise Line.

Flalex72

Maybe it has to do with wanting the Magical Express buses to look less out of place when used in conjunction with the cruise line buses. To me, using buses in the very different cruise line livery always came off as cheap, like they didn't have enough buses to go around... probably because they didn't have enough buses to go around.

I wondered about this as well - without a ship in port every day, Disney is paying Mears to have a subset of buses sit idle, when they could be used to provide other services, or reduce the dependency on backup yellow Mears buses. By having one Disney bus livery on the Mears coaches, they can be dispatched with more flexibility, and your likelihood of getting on a Disney branded bus over a Mears branded bus would potentially increase.

peter11435

I wondered about this as well - without a ship in port every day, Disney is paying Mears to have a subset of buses sit idle, when they could be used to provide other services, or reduce the dependency on backup yellow Mears buses. By having one Disney bus livery on the Mears coaches, they can be dispatched with more flexibility, and your likelihood of getting on a Disney branded bus over a Mears branded bus would potentially increase.

They already use the DCL buses for other uses on non port days. With seven ships in a few years I doubt there will many non port days.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
So something that was brought to my attention and may or may not be impetus for this name change, is that technically Disney's Magical Express was the wrong name from it's inception.

There are only two places in WDW (other than magical express) that have "Walt Disney's" name (with the apostrophe). Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress, and Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room. In both attractions, Walt personally had a hand in developing, and were specifically named to show that. Evidently the naming of magical express while "sounding" correct did not fall in to the spirit of this naming convention.

Again I don't know if this was the case for the name change, but evidently when it was initially named Disney's Magical Express it was done so incorrectly or with ignorance to the naming convention.

Notes from Neverland

So something that was brought to my attention and may or may not be impetus for this name change, is that technically Disney's Magical Express was the wrong name from it's inception.

There are only two places in WDW (other than magical express) that have "Walt Disney's" name (with the apostrophe). Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress, and Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room. In both attractions, Walt personally had a hand in developing, and were specifically named to show that. Evidently the naming of magical express while "sounding" correct did not fall in to the spirit of this naming convention.

Again I don't know if this was the case for the name change, but evidently when it was initially named Disney's Magical Express it was done so incorrectly or with ignorance to the naming convention.

Aren't most of the resorts called Disney's Resort Name? Not saying you're wrong, but I'm confused how that could be a naming mistake when the resorts follow that same naming pattern.

Tom P.

But in those examples you cite, it uses Walt's first name. It says Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress and Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room. Just as the full name of the complex is Walt Disney World Resort.

There are plenty of places where the Disney name is used without his first name. Disney's Hollywood Studios and Disney's Animal Kingdom being the most prominent, neither of which Walt had any part in designing.

If they referred to it as Walt Disney's Magical Express, then what you say would make sense. But, correct me if I'm wrong, it has always just been Disney's Magical Express, correct? And I don't believe that carries the same connotation.

monothingie

Premium Member
Aren't most of the resorts called Disney's Resort Name? Not saying you're wrong, but I'm confused how that could be a naming mistake when the resorts follow that same naming pattern.

No you are correct, like I said, it was just something interesting that was pointed out to me.

Monorail_Red_77

But in those examples you cite, it uses Walt's first name. It says Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress and Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room. Just as the full name of the complex is Walt Disney World Resort.

There are plenty of places where the Disney name is used without his first name. Disney's Hollywood Studios and Disney's Animal Kingdom being the most prominent, neither of which Walt had any part in designing.

If they referred to it as Walt Disney's Magical Express, then what you say would make sense. But, correct me if I'm wrong, it has always just been Disney's Magical Express, correct? And I don't believe that carries the same connotation.
Correct. I think the weird thing is how some things are called Disney’s This or Disney That.

Like the subject of this thread where it has been called Disney’s Magical Express and now with the refreshed Livery they are calling it Disney Magical Express. Trying to stay hip and current I guess.:rolleyes::facepalm:

TrojanUSC

The lack of possessiveness on the name comes from a Iger corporate edict to make branding simpler, to sound a bit "hipper" and the brand more cohesive. It started with Disney California Adventure and has continued when projects get a refurbish. You'll notice around the same time the former Walt Disney Pictures title card before their feature films was replaced with just "Disney."

Monorail_Red_77

The lack of possessiveness on the name comes from a Iger corporate edict to make branding simpler, to sound a bit "hipper" and the brand more cohesive. It started with Disney California Adventure and has continued when projects get a refurbish. You'll notice around the same time the former Walt Disney Pictures title card before their feature films was replaced with just "Disney."
Yes. Though in the meantime it makes a big mess. My job did something similar with our email system. They decided to start using “Last.First” instead of “Last, First” with all new email accounts created. But they were not going to go back and correct the old ones. They figured they would get cleaned up as people retired. UGH. So now we have thousands of people with “Last, First” and thousands with “Last.First”. Sounds like fun right! Makes it more difficult to find people in the address book. Not everyone is tech savvy in this government institution.

Rant over
LOL

Cosmic Commando

Epic Mickey was announced as "Disney Epic Mickey" before the DCA name change IIRC. DCA was a big one, but it wasn't first.

Monorail_Red_77

Epic Mickey was announced as "Disney Epic Mickey" before the DCA name change IIRC. DCA was a big one, but it wasn't first.
Yes. Another one that was tricky.
Disney MGM Studios.
Though in videos it was edited to look like Disney Studios. Also was called that in the souvenir videos of the day. Due to the MGM deal.

TrojanUSC

Yes. Another one that was tricky.
Disney MGM Studios.
Though in videos it was edited to look like Disney Studios. Also was called that in the souvenir videos of the day. Due to the MGM deal.

No, not really. The Disney-MGM Studios was hyphenated as it was supposed to appear as if it was a partnership between the two. As they didn't feel the current slate of Disney live action films at the time was enough to interest people in a park focused, mostly, on live production. However, MGM built a park in Las Vegas which led to a lot of bad blood and litigation. Consequently, the park was referred to as Disney Studios Florida in some off-property advertising, particularly on the west coast. In this case, the possessive wouldn't really make sense. However, this was a relatively unique case as possessive form of Disney still permeated the brand for many years, including Disney's Animal Kingdom and even Disney's Hollywood Studios, the later rebrand of the park. It's really been an Iger thing since 2010ish.

Tom P.

You obviously haven't been here long enough.

Clearly, this has nothing to do with simpler, more cohesive branding. It has to do with Iger's bitter hatred for the name of Walt and all that he stood for. Never shall that name be spoken during Iger's tenure. Think of Walt as Voldemort, only more evil.

I hear the "Robert Iger World Resort" signage is on order...

Monorail_Red_77

No, not really. The Disney-MGM Studios was hyphenated as it was supposed to appear as if it was a partnership between the two. As they didn't feel the current slate of Disney live action films at the time was enough to interest people in a park focused, mostly, on live production. However, MGM built a park in Las Vegas which led to a lot of bad blood and litigation. Consequently, the park was referred to as Disney Studios Florida in some off-property advertising, particularly on the west coast. In this case, the possessive wouldn't really make sense. However, this was a relatively unique case as possessive form of Disney still permeated the brand for many years, including Disney's Animal Kingdom and even Disney's Hollywood Studios, the later rebrand of the park. It's really been an Iger thing since 2010ish.
There was bad blood before the last Vegas Park. Once MGM President found out the details of the Disney deal. He was “hot” to say the least. So they had to draft up a deal that they could keep things as they were in the new WDW Park. But, they could not use the name MGM in any advertising or video productions. Hence the Souvineir video you could buy in the parks had no reference of MGM in it or spoken in it. I have a digital copy of this video.

Here’s a screenshot of the video in question.
463BAA31-08E7-4B45-B63F-D408A11F6AA1.png

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

The possessive was being dropped well before Disney’s California Adventure was renamed. Hannah Montana used the Disney-only branding.

Being simpler is part of the problem. It means Dis way thinks people are too stupid to understand the previous system that was adaptable to what suited the product.

monothingie

Premium Member

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom