New Log Cabins?

Rteetz

Are we certain they're tent-only sites? Or full hookup RV sites?

I have a feeling the latter is a huge revenue source, especially the retired snowbirds who "live" at FW for months at a time. Even the non-retiree RV owners are likely big spenders.

Throw in the fact that the cabins have, like the rest of WDW accommodations, gotten prohibitively expensive for most folks, and it would make sense why they'd want to shuffle their inventory.

(I still don't understand why anyone would spend $500+ for a decorated double-wide at Ft. Wilderness when you can get a real (and nicer) cabin in the real wilderness of Yellowstone or other National Park for a fraction of the cost.)
I don't think we are sure of either. Ft. Wilderness is always one of those places I'd love to see occupancy numbers on. It obviously does well enough that they don't get rid of it but then you have the, taking out cabins and adding campsites or RV hookups?

halltd

My family camps there several times a year and they have to book their site the day they are released or they're gone instantly. I'd say demand is pretty high. We love the cabins too, though. To sleep six with a kitchen, deck, bbq grille, and no neighbors sharing walls or ceilings, you can't beat the price on property. A DVC room would be three times as much, and two hotel rooms would be twice as much and not have a kitchen.

hopemax

I seriously wonder what the demand is for the campsites these days. My mom went from 74 until about 1990 and only camped at Ft. wilderness. I've never stayed there myself but I've never heard anything about occupancy numbers.

Actually occupied, is one thing, but on the DIS there is great demand for the tent sites. Because you can book a fabulous condo for your family of 5 or more at a fraction of Disney resort prices, and then book a campsite for like $60 a night to get resort benefits like 60 day FPs and a "free" magic band. With MDE accounts and online check-in they've figured out a person can do everything without ever having to visit. Yes, this is a real thing.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Actually occupied, is one thing, but on the DIS there is great demand for the tent sites. Because you can book a fabulous condo for your family of 5 or more at a fraction of Disney resort prices, and then book a campsite for like $60 a night to get resort benefits like 60 day FPs and a "free" magic band. With MDE accounts and online check-in they've figured out a person can do everything without ever having to visit. Yes, this is a real thing.

Somehow not surprising DIS home of the 'Refrigerator Swap' and 'Photopass Share' yes both of those are real things.

brent2124

The 2100 loop of cabins is being removed and will replaced with campsites. It was the only original loop of campsites that was converted to cabins as opposed to the other loops which have only been cabins, and therefore will be easy to convert as the loop still has a comfort station and each pad has the electric and water hook ups. No definitive word on the classification of what the loop will be but most likely be full hook up or preferred sites.

Mad Stitch

More tents? really? That seems to be a low revenue replacement? Not being sarcastic, but that doesn't sound like a good biz decision.
Think about it this way. I have a camper and pay Disney 3 to 4 times what I would pay for a spot at any other campground. A camper has no need for housekeeping services, there are no maintenance costs for the room. Disney can cut these expenses at Fort Wilderness and turn them into pure profit.

Horizons1

Are we certain they're tent-only sites? Or full hookup RV sites?

I have a feeling the latter is a huge revenue source, especially the retired snowbirds who "live" at FW for months at a time. Even the non-retiree RV owners are likely big spenders.

Throw in the fact that the cabins have, like the rest of WDW accommodations, gotten prohibitively expensive for most folks, and it would make sense why they'd want to shuffle their inventory.

(I still don't understand why anyone would spend $500+ for a decorated double-wide at Ft. Wilderness when you can get a real (and nicer) cabin in the real wilderness of Yellowstone or other National Park for a fraction of the cost.)
BECAUSE ITS DISNEY WORLD!!

Price aside, The Fort is a nice place to stay if you can afford it.

docdebbi

You are correct. I did this for the first time in April of this year. We stayed at Wyndham Bonnet Creek because it looked (and was) so fabulous. So much more room, great pools and lazy rivers and less than 1/10 the price it would have been on Disney property for 6 of us.
But we do like the early ADR and FP ability of onsite. We also like the convenience of magicbands for charging. So I gave Disney their pound of flesh, paid $75 per night for the advantages and it was the best of both worlds. Still saved me tons of money.

Felt guilty tying up a site that wasn't used, but not as guilty as if we booked, got the early bookings for ADR and FP and then cancelled, as others had suggested.

Thunder Kz

Maybe the cabins are left there as a reminder of people who pay for and don't use the facilities.

Folks can justify to themselves this type of practice any way they want. $75 is a lot of money, but not for what a family gets at FW, such as the open air boats, canoeing, biking, time at the playground with the kids as horse drawn carriages pass by, night time walks down the paths, Smores, the ranch, the beach, the pool, and the trading posts. Most importantly, $75 is a way for many families to enjoy the magic of staying on property at Disney with their families who otherwise may not be able to afford a moderate or value resort...if the lots are available. Really, the charging privileges and FPs are about the least meaningful benefit a family gets while enjoying FW. Simply put, it isn't justifiable to take this opportunity from others for personal gain, even if folks can afford it when staying at a cookie cutter timeshare. People could consider offering to pay for these other benefits without depriving someone else of the opportunity to create family memories at FW.

The practice of pillaging the wilderness for selfish gain is something that has been happening since the beginning of time. Ironic it's happening in this modern era at Fort Wilderness.

Here's your $75
image.jpeg

bethymouse

The Cabins are no longer considered a "moderate" price to me. Years ago, the cabins were a reasonable and affordable place to stay on Disney property. It's cheaper than the Saratoga Springs Treehouse Villas though ( totally different of course).;)

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

They removed cabins from an entire loop at Fort Wilderness. Rumor is they're converting it back to a tent site.

I have wondered if they were going to reuse those old cabins as the "new" cabins at Fort Wilderness. They're probably too small though.

Just this - WDW had too many Campground Cabins, removed several from a loop, and will be re-purposing the space. Old Cabins have been sold to an outside source. They have nothing to do with the new WL DVC.... our best info is that THOSE cabins will be built on site.

halltd

Think about it this way. I have a camper and pay Disney 3 to 4 times what I would pay for a spot at any other campground. A camper has no need for housekeeping services, there are no maintenance costs for the room. Disney can cut these expenses at Fort Wilderness and turn them into pure profit.
Uh, the campground has plenty of maintenance in it. Just look at the sheer size of the resort to start...someone has to maintain all that land. There are also comfort stations, roads, the campsites themselves (did you ever notice someone "cleans" the site before every arrival?), utilities the guests use (consumption and maintenance of), check-in buildings (two because of the two types of check-in available), pools, bus stops, recreational amenities, boat docks, marina, etc... What about all the cast members that work at this massive property? Someone has to pay them, too! Just because you bring your own mobile home, doesn't mean the resort is maintenance free and your $75 is pure profit.

My family camps all over the country (and I've stayed at the campground yearly since 1976) and we all think Fort Wilderness is one of, if not THE nicest campground we've ever stayed at.

jlthomas81

I shouldn't be surprised, but I cannot believe this is actually a thing!!! How does one not feel guilty???

(Let the bashing me because I have a soul begin.....)

PinnySmart

You are correct. I did this for the first time in April of this year. We stayed at Wyndham Bonnet Creek because it looked (and was) so fabulous. So much more room, great pools and lazy rivers and less than 1/10 the price it would have been on Disney property for 6 of us.
But we do like the early ADR and FP ability of onsite. We also like the convenience of magicbands for charging. So I gave Disney their pound of flesh, paid $75 per night for the advantages and it was the best of both worlds. Still saved me tons of money.

Felt guilty tying up a site that wasn't used, but not as guilty as if we booked, got the early bookings for ADR and FP and then cancelled, as others had suggested.

I shouldn't be surprised, but I cannot believe this is actually a thing!!! How does one not feel guilty???

(Let the bashing me because I have a soul begin.....)

Someone with zero concept of morals and ethics. Someone who thinks rules are not meant for them. Someone who doesn't care about the lessons they teach their children so then their children grow up with the same morally corrupt ideals. Someone that thinks it's cool to brag about it on a public forum and doesn't realize how corrupt they actually are. Just my opinion of course.

Last edited:

docdebbi

Someone with zero concept of morals and ethics. Someone who thinks rules are not meant for them. Someone who doesn't care about the lessons they teach their children so then their children grow up with the same morally corrupt ideals. Someone that thinks it's cool to brag about it on a public forum and doesn't realize how corrupt they actually are. Just my opinion of course.

I'm sorry, I don't see a single immoral or corrupt thing I did here. Or I wouldn't be talking about it in public.

I paid for a campsite like anyone else, and got the advantages of staying onsite, like anyone else. Just like anyone else renting a room or campsite, I paid for these benefits and am not hurting anyone. I followed every rule, I believe rules apply to me. Can you show me which one I broke?

Doesn't matter where I actually lay my head down at night, it is my campsite to use or not use as I chose. (And rarely is Fort Wilderness totally full and denying it to someone else. Especially when we went in April. If I believed it was, I wouldn't have done it.)

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom