New limited time show at Theater of the Stars in place of Beauty and the Beast

trainplane3

I’m under the impression that they did. I know nobody new was brought in for the show, and that the Philharmonic was kept in MK. To be completely honest, I can’t think of what other group could be used for this show.
Going between the GF group and this group, the arrangements sound nearly identical (same solos, breaks, etc.). I think it's safe to say it's the GF group. Sure it could just be the same music but a different group, but really...why would they go through hiring talent to play the same music when they already have a group that already does it? (and does it extremely well)

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
It's decent filler. But I can't help but think it could use more pizzazz and spectacle. What if (ARMCHAIR ALERT!) what if it were an extension of Tower of Terror and the show was presented like the Tip Top Club. Same music but with some additional theming. Something to give it a proper call back to the days of old Hollywood. I think it could really be something. A simple script to give it some snap, a sprinkling of signage and you're golden!

RaiseTheShields

Going between the GF group and this group, the arrangements sound nearly identical (same solos, breaks, etc.). I think it's safe to say it's the GF group. Sure it could just be the same music but a different group, but really...why would they go through hiring talent to play the same music when they already have a group that already does it? (and does it extremely well)
I wondered if they were existing arrangements. Thanks for doing the a/b research!

RaiseTheShields

It's decent filler. But I can't help but think it could use more pizzazz and spectacle. What if (ARMCHAIR ALERT!) what if it were an extension of Tower of Terror and the show was presented like the Tip Top Club. Same music but with some additional theming. Something to give it a proper call back to the days of old Hollywood. I think it could really be something. A simple script to give it some snap and some simplistic signs and you're golden!
Pyro, confetti cannons, snoap, and flame effects! Maybe a water screen but that seems too soon.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
There was a screen, and that started to make it just seem like DVD bonus content playing long side the pre-recorded audio.

I think what it comes down to is Disney can do something a lot better. An orchestra show, with a view background and some character appearances is not good enough.

I agree. This simple orchestration show would fit better on a stage at Disney Springs than it does as a theme park attraction at HS.

That being said, at least something is temporarily in the theatre until Disney can just simply temperature check staff members. The same old “better than nothing” we’ve been saying for the past decade I guess.

TrainsOfDisney

I wondered if they were existing arrangements. Thanks for doing the a/b research!

I’m not entirely sure, but I think the arrangements are unique to the GF Orchestra.

I know that the Philharmonic has their own arrangements that are written by one of the trumpet players I beleive.

The piano players on Main Street, Jim and Mark, also have their own arrangements that are unique to them. They aren’t just playing the music Disney hands them.

MickeyMouse10

It's decent filler. But I can't help but think it could use more pizzazz and spectacle. What if (ARMCHAIR ALERT!) what if it were an extension of Tower of Terror and the show was presented like the Tip Top Club. Same music but with some additional theming. Something to give it a proper call back to the days of old Hollywood. I think it could really be something.

Based on Disney's new way of thinking it would never work. Because it goes too much with the theming of the park and the area it's in. Disney wants to make attractions based on IP's that don't fit it's lands and pavilions at all (Frozen, Tiana Mountain, Moana).

RaiseTheShields

I’m not entirely sure, but I think the arrangements are unique to the GF Orchestra.

I know that the Philharmonic has their own arrangements that are written by one of the trumpet players I beleive.

The piano players on Main Street, Jim and Mark, also have their own arrangements that are unique to them. They aren’t just playing the music Disney hands them.
What? That’s surprising and pretty great at the same time.

Sweet Thing

So is it just the furs that are normal? Or is anyone employed in that production on an equity contract?
Furs are covered under Teamsters. Just like puppeteers at VOTLM and FOTLK, Stiltwalkers, dancers in parades, the animal dancers (minus the two birds) at FOTLK, and all lookalike and animated characters. Most of them are not only trained in this particular stage show, and perform in other shows and parades as well as meet and greets.

Sweet Thing

Love the GF band and nothing to do with them, but this show isn't good enough to be in a Disney theme park. It looks like a kids recital.

Equity problems or not, Disney has the resources and ability to do far better and they need to be, especially now.
Not in the time they had to scramble to put something together. These aren’t normal times. They could have left the theater empty. Is the show ideal? No. But until we get back to normalcy, I think it best to applaud them for coming up with something as quickly as they could.

YodaMan

It's nice, all things considered. I'm surprised that they couldn't catch Sulley, Woody, or Buzz between their cavalcades to pop in for their segments. Ditto for the Star Wars Characters.

Entertainment cast is pretty bare-bones right now. The BatB fur performers were already back in the hopes that Equity would have returned in time for re-opening day, but obviously that didn’t happen. Guess it was easier to shoehorn in the BatB characters into a new show than worry about fitting anyone for different characters or bringing back any additional CMs.

Patcheslee

Just looking at the video it's not a horrible show, but blocking the Orchestra makes it seem like depending on seating you may barely see their heads when sitting. Definitely seems like the stage swallows the group.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

I just watched a video of he new show and checked a couple videos of the GF group and they don't appear to be the same people, at least not all of them.

TrainsOfDisney

The Grand Floridian Orchestra runs 7 days a week, they have alternates.

I haven’t see many photos that were very clear... there do appear to be some new faces.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom