New limited time show at Theater of the Stars in place of Beauty and the Beast

DisneyDebRob

Copied from a duplicate thread that's now closed:

In what way would this be a bad thing whatsoever? A live orchestra replacing a largely pre-recorded stage show that's been running for 30 years strikes me an an absolutely HUGE upgrade.

"The Music of Pixar Live" in summer 2017 was so moving it had grown men in tears regularly.
I agree. It’s the perfect venue for a live orchestra. Switching out music every couple hours from Pixar to Disney to a multitude of things. Could be something you go back for every other show. Besides needing more live music, it’s a great idea.

Gringrinngghost

No employer is testing employees prior to each shift so why should they be any different. They were the only union to refuse coming back. It’s time to replace them with employees willing to work.

They wouldn't need the testing before every shift if they we're allowed to wear a mask. See what I'm getting it. Disney has all cast wearing masks but doesn't want the actors to wear a mask, and if they aren't allowed to wear a mask, they would be breaking social distancing guidelines and county regulations. Plus if I do happen to recall from being around the Theatre world behind the scrims for nearly entirely of my life, there is a greater chance of spreading COVID, whether it be from speaking to singing. Furthermore, after each person uses a mic pack, they will have to be sterilized post use.

Realistically, you can enforce social distancing if you restage the show to fit within the social distancing guidelines but Disney isn't willing to do that either. Plus, Actors Equity isn't some local thing to the parks, they are the labor union of live theatrical performance, including Broadway. Just like the IATSE is the major union of everything to filming conventions to shooting the next marvel movie. Knowing how close actors get to one-another first hand, I would be damn sure to want covid testing myself.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Copied from a duplicate thread that's now closed:

In what way would this be a bad thing whatsoever? A live orchestra replacing a largely pre-recorded stage show that's been running for 30 years strikes me an an absolutely HUGE upgrade.

"The Music of Pixar Live" in summer 2017 was so moving it had grown men in tears regularly.

The problem I found with the 2017 show, was that the orchestra was so good, it just seemed like listening to n pre-recording, with occasional appearances by some characters. It wasn't a very dynamic show, and while fine as a limited time offering, I don't think it has anywhere near the same wide appeal of a full live stage show.

CaptainAmerica

I agree. It’s the perfect venue for a live orchestra. Switching out music every couple hours from Pixar to Disney to a multitude of things. Could be something you go back for every other show. Besides needing more live music, it’s a great idea.
They could run classic Disney, Disney Renaissance, modern Disney, Pixar, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and Marvel.

DisneyDebRob

The problem I found with the 2017 show, was that the orchestra was so good, it just seemed like listening to n pre-recording, with occasional appearances by some characters. It wasn't a very dynamic show, and while fine as a limited time offering, I don't think it has anywhere near the same wide appeal of a full live stage show.
Maybe add a few elements of something then? Maybe a screen behind them to keep the kids attention showing clips from movies?
They could run classic Disney, Disney Renaissance, modern Disney, Pixar, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and Marvel.
The list goes on and on.

DVCakaCarlF

Serves those unions right...when those people can’t collect unemployment, they can call their union boss for help.

Unions are just a way for the leaders to collect money...the EEOC and states do more for employees than unions.

All unions do are bring companies to their knees, and then, when the company is broke from all the concessions, they close.

Cry me a river...

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Maybe add a few elements of something then? Maybe a screen behind them to keep the kids attention showing clips from movies?

The list goes on and on.
There was a screen, and that started to make it just seem like DVD bonus content playing long side the pre-recorded audio.

I think what it comes down to is Disney can do something a lot better. An orchestra show, with a view background and some character appearances is not good enough.

RaiseTheShields

I don’t know for sure but there may have been some sort of supplemental/sweetener track.

DisneyDebRob

There was a screen, and that started to make it just seem like DVD bonus content playing long side the pre-recorded audio.

I think what it comes down to is Disney can do something a lot better. An orchestra show, with a view background and some character appearances is not good enough.

Thanks, I didn’t know that they had a screen. Never saw the show back then. Here I thought I was a genius coming up with that.🙂

Sweet Thing

No employer is testing employees prior to each shift so why should they be any different. They were the only union to refuse coming back. It’s time to replace them with employees willing to work.

The performers covered under Equity DO want to work. They are being held captive by the demands of their union. Sadly, I feel that this stalemate will lead to the company to part ways with Equity. Then they could potentially invite a different union, one that doesn't have to follow the rules voted on by Equity theaters across the country.

Sweet Thing

Unfortunately, this replacement show (and others that are sure to follow in shuttered venues across WDW) was certainly put together in a very short amount of time. The parks have been open now for a month with the Equity battle going on for the same amount of time. I'm sure the company entertained talks with the union for a week or so before making the decision to move on, leaving only a couple weeks to put something together. I can only guess we'll begin to see other theaters at WDW start announcing temporary shows as well.

jt04

They need a permanent setting for an orchestral show. Place setting would help a lot and videos definitely work in conjunction with the music. Disney has a catalog of music to create great shows for all ages. So there's the IP inclusion.

And character plays like BatB can still have a venue too. Although it does seem time for something new considering the IP exists at 2 other parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom