New Latina Disney Princess

SnarkyMonkey

Original Poster
I'm surprised nobody has posted anything about this yet. (If it's here somewhere I do apologize. I did search.)

Introducing on Sophia the First Princess Elena, the first Hispanic Disney princess.

From http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/30/opinion/reyes-latina-disney-princess/

Princess Elena of Avalor, who will debut next year on Disney Junior's "Sofia the First," according to the company, appears to represent a commitment to diversity -- which also happens to be a smart business strategy in a country with a burgeoning Latino population

Sped2424

Should be in the animation and tv area. And while I admire the attempt at Disney I say this is actually just well not a slam dunk. For one she like sofia won't ever be apart of the official princess line up due to them being tv characters directed at toddlers. If they wanted to do a latina princess I am all for it, but it should be done first in a film. Not for a TV show. It comes across a little "Here is your latina princess, now stop asking for one". She won't ever have the same pop culture presence the other princesses have. If they were going to do this silently without heralding her as Disney's first latina princess I wouldn't mind. But when they spin all the stories like that it just seems a little calculated.

SnarkyMonkey

Original Poster
I thought of it as a step in the right direction and thought it was long overdue. I imagine it's only a matter of time before Hispanic characters become more numerous.

Disney may be the ones promoting this news. I don't know. But the article I have quoted is not a media release from Disney but a report from CNN.

Sped2424

I thought of it as a step in the right direction and thought it was long overdue. I imagine it's only a matter of time before Hispanic characters become more numerous.

Disney may be the ones promoting this news. I don't know. But the article I have quoted is not a media release from Disney but a report from CNN.
A step in the right direction for me would be to not downgrade her to tv. It would be the same if they put tiana in a tv show rather than a film and heralded it as the first "african american" princess. It would feel disingenuous.

Sped2424

I agree. she should be placed into a movie to be considered a step in the right direction. I also saw this interesting post on Tumblr about princesses that made an excellent point. Although Anastasia isn't a Disney movie, they incorporate beautiful characters that show diversity (a beautiful old woman, a voluptuous woman who is still attractive, and Anastasia as a poorly dressed character). Although they don't address race, they do address diversity within the woman spectrum (i.e. elderly, curvy, and impoverished). I actually want to see more normal/average sized Princesses, too.
Her design is nothing special either. As Jorge gutierrez pointed out she looks like his character maria from the book of life.
19BOOKOFLIFE4-master180-v4.jpg

elena-avalor.jpg

imagineer boy

Why hasn't Disney done a half pacific islander, half Asian, half Rastafarian princess yet? It's way overdue! Disney IS TEH RACIST!1!1!! As half pacific islander, half Asian, half Rastafarian hermaphrodite American, I am shocked and offended at the lack or representation of our culture in Disney's princess line up!

Sped2424

Why hasn't Disney done a half pacific islander, half Asian, half Rastafarian princess yet? It's way overdue! Disney IS TEH RACIST!1!1!! As half pacific islander, half Asian, half Rastafarian hermaphrodite American, I am shocked and offended at the lack or representation of our culture in Disney's princess line up!
I knew this conversation had been civil for too long. Thanks for reminding me where I am, the internet.

newsies

Culture representation is so, so, so important for children to see. While I'm happy that she's being introduced, I agree that she should have gotten her own movie. Like Sped2424 brought up, who is Sofia in regards to Rapunzel, Merida, Ariel, etc? Young boys and girls (especially girls) who aren't of European descent need to see their backgrounds celebrated and represented in the media more, period point blank. It's 2015.

Sped2424

Culture representation is so, so, so important for children to see. While I'm happy that she's being introduced, I agree that she should have gotten her own movie. Like Sped2424 brought up, who is Sofia in regards to Rapunzel, Merida, Ariel, etc? Young boys and girls (especially girls) who aren't of European descent need to see their backgrounds celebrated and represented in the media more, period point blank. It's 2015.
Wow couldn't agree more ^ Also welcome to the forums!

Sped2424

My kiddo could care less about Sofia being an "official" princess. I don't know how much that argument could really come into play with popularity in the small ones set.
I understand sofia is popular now. But will she be 10 years from now? The answer is most likely no. TV shows for kids at Disney just don't have the longevity the actual animated features have. So while Elena is nice for now she won't mean that much in the long run. All the other princesses will continue to be reintroduced to kids generation after generation, Elena and Sofia? Sadly won't.

R W B

Shouldn't that be from the home with the parents/grand parents showing the kids their heritage? Not really the responsibility of Disney?

Sped2424

Shouldn't that be from the home with the parents/grand parents showing the kids their heritage? Not really the responsibility of Disney?
What's the harm if Disney does it? Sure it's not their responsibility, but diversifying their line up of characters from time to time is a good thing. We get more diverse characters and stories that could end up teaching other kids in the states about different cultures than their own? And for the kids who are of that culture they can see media that they relate too. Sounds like a win win :)

SnarkyMonkey

Original Poster
I totally didn't expect people to be against this. Some of you don't want her because it's "just television" and one of you doesn't want her because you are overtly racist.

So, what you are saying is because she isn't in a movie and because they didn't choose to make a princess out of every race, they just shouldn't bother?

Hispanic people make up a large portion of the American population. I still contend that it's about time that they got a character. And I think it's a heck of a lot better on TV than not at all.

newsies

Girl, bye. This is not just about Disney. The American media itself is white-washed and eurocentric. It's about the media in general. Of course parents should be teaching their children about their background. It is the responsibility of corporations like Disney to help diversify the movie industry and make POC characters the new normal. There's a big difference between a child hearing about their culture from family members and actually seeing their culture celebrated through movies and television.

Monkee Girl

I disagree. It is NOT the corporation's job. Their job is to sell a product. Disney will make a character when they feel there is market for one and story for one.

I am not racist and I hate people who throw that around to shame people. Personally, I don't think it is Disney's job to have to be the front runner with EVERY ethnic group. Their job is to tell intriguing stories. If the character happens to be a certain color or race, fine. If they choose to keep their characters white, that is their choice (whether good or bad). The people wanting the FIRST Latina princess, the FIRST fat princess, the FIRST bald princess, the FIRST gay princess need to go to the drawing table and make their own films. They could make a fortune claiming a market that apparently is in so much demand. Why does no body complain to Dream Works? The whole "Disney needs to do this" gets on my nerves so much.

Honestly, I think they missed a great opportunity with Tangled. There is something about the design, look, feel, and music of that movie that shouts 'spanish' to me; not German. It was something about the opening scene with the guitar, the sun design, Flynn's outfit. Even the king and queen looked Spanish to me. I dunno. I think it could have worked.

They have a Polynesian character coming up soon. Who knows what they will make after that. But it is Disney's choice.

R W B

What's the harm if Disney does it? Sure it's not their responsibility, but diversifying their line up of characters from time to time is a good thing. We get more diverse characters and stories that could end up teaching other kids in the states about different cultures than their own? And for the kids who are of that culture they can see media that they relate too. Sounds like a win win :)
I never said their was harm in it.
You forget. There is no responsibility at home anymore. It takes a village and all that bee ess.
Lol this is so very true.
Girl, bye. This is not just about Disney. The American media itself is white-washed and eurocentric. It's about the media in general. Of course parents should be teaching their children about their background. It is the responsibility of corporations like Disney to help diversify the movie industry and make POC characters the new normal. There's a big difference between a child hearing about their culture from family members and actually seeing their culture celebrated through movies and television.
Girl bye??? Media....whitewashed.... You know were talking about Disney adding a new cartoon right?

Also, it is 100% not the responsibility of corporations like Disney to help diversify the industry. Their responsibility is to make a profitable product to keep making profit for their investors/shareholders. That's it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom