New idea for splash mountain

martinthesparta

Original Poster
Wow, slow down...

I was gonna quote somebody, but everyone basically said the same thing, and everybody basically misread what I was trying to say. I would NEVER change wdw splash mountain. It is absolutely perfect just the way it is. All I'm saying is that a pooh based log flume ride would be a decent idea for a different disney park (perphaps dl) or if they had never used song of the south in the first place. And I would think that a pooh based splash mountain would work in dl because theirs is in need of a face lift anyway, which would also mean that their pooh ride would be dismantled, turned into something else, and the stuff from the inside of the ride could go into splash. I'm just saying why the different splash mts at the different park all have to have the same theme. Man, I'm just glad i'm not getting ignored anymore, but I'm just wondering if you people don't like reading or you have ADD or something. JK

the-reason

Originally posted by KevinPage
They won't change the ride cause 99% of the guests have no idea that the ride is based on a movie.

I have Song of the South on video. A friend bought a PAL version, dubbed it for NTSC and sent me a copy. Not the greatest transfer, but at least I was able to see the movie.

Honestly, aside from the animated parts, it was a boring movie, with Uncle Remus telling some stories to a little white rich kid, who evertually got hit by a bull or some other animal or something. (only watched it once while falling asleep)

I don't see how it made Slavery look "pleasant" except for the fact that Uncle Remus was a kind, nice old gentleman. I guess they should have made him angry and told stories of Brer Fox cooking Brer Rabbit and fighting for his rib bones with Brer Bear.

Who knows. I think the idea of it being PC got blown out of proportion and it someone carried that momentum til this day.

Well, I saw this movie for the first time in the seventh grade. And I thought it was cool, except for the slavery part. This was like my first time seeing the brer rabit story thing, and I was thinking this is just like SMtn.

It did make slavery look way to pleasent in the sense that they did everything willingly without any static. All the slaves were just so happy and smilin all the time.

Perhaps they should just realease they brer rabit stories on DVD, and leave the slavery thing along. Slavery is over and has been for awhile, why bring that issue back up to whole lotta African American children, and make it seem like it wasnt that bad.

Wilt Dasney

Re: Wow, slow down...

Originally posted by martinthesparta
I was gonna quote somebody, but everyone basically said the same thing, and everybody basically misread what I was trying to say. I would NEVER change wdw splash mountain. It is absolutely perfect just the way it is. All I'm saying is that a pooh based log flume ride would be a decent idea for a different disney park (perphaps dl)

I caught what you were saying....thus my first post. :)

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Re: Re: Re: New idea for splash mountain

Originally posted by Wilt Dasney
This isn't the first time I've come across this rumor...whether or not there's anything to it, it is floating around out there.

Why the surprise, afterall Pooh floats.

Big Thunder 25

Well, I saw this movie for the first time in the seventh grade. And I thought it was cool, except for the slavery part. This was like my first time seeing the brer rabit story thing, and I was thinking this is just like SMtn.

It did make slavery look way to pleasent in the sense that they did everything willingly without any static. All the slaves were just so happy and smilin all the time.
'
Perhaps they should just realease they brer rabit stories on DVD, and leave the slavery thing along. Slavery is over and has been for awhile, why bring that issue back up to whole lotta African American children, and make it seem like it wasnt that bad.
Walt said in many interviews that song of the south was about the reconstruction era not the time of slavery and the black people in the film were share croppers who got to keep some of the crop as their pay so why does everyone always say it is about slavery. You can complain about the little black kid being portrayed as an idiot. You could say the little kid shouldn't have been such a sissy. But that was all you can say about that film. Could it have been made better sure. Was it racist I don't think so. Perhaps if they re released it with one of the interviews Walt gave when he explained the plot to song of the south people wouldn't have such a problem with it. Because you don't get to much of an explanation you just a scene were the dad's going away and the mom says the kid should hear some of uncle remus's stories. Are share croppers not allowed to be happy in movies. Simply outrageous.

Last edited:

Robbiem

I'm just saying why the different splash mts at the different park all have to have the same theme.

I agree completely. I’d love to see the same ride with a different theme at different parks would encourage visiting different resorts and give each park a unique experience to market.

A Winnie the Pooh splash is a great idea, maybe put it in Paris which doesn’t have either ride at the moment. I’d also like to see a Jungle book version in adventureland (based on the animation), maybe they could add that to Hong Kong?

Chi84

Premium Member
I don't think that would work because Disney wants to change Splash Mountain. It's obvious that Splash has a lot of fans who don't want to see it changed, but Disney wants to change it. It also appears Disney is looking for a theme that would be more inclusive and diverse, so a Pooh theme is highly unlikely.

Club Cooloholic

Walt said in many interviews that song of the south was about the reconstruction era not the time of slavery and the black people in the film were share croppers who got to keep some of the crop as their pay so why does everyone always say it is about slavery. You can complain about the little black kid being portrayed as an idiot. You could say the little kid shouldn't have been such a sissy. But that was all you can say about that film. Could it have been made better sure. Was it racist I don't think so. Perhaps if they re released it with one of the interviews Walt gave when he explained the plot to song of the south people wouldn't have such a problem with it. Because you don't get to much of an explanation you just a scene were the dad's going away and the mom says the kid should hear some of uncle remus's stories. Are share croppers not allowed to be happy in movies. Simply outrageous.
In any type of media, if the author, director, or whomever created the media needs to explain it for people to understand it, it just might have missed the mark. Once something is put out to the public, they are free to view it and interpret it. If you remove what you learned about Walt's intent, is it clear this film is NOT taking place during slavery?

Parker in NYC

Welcome to the boards, Big Thunder! Congratulations for bumping a 16-year-old thread to defacto create the 50th thread regarding the Splash Mountain redo. And making me take note of it...

Brer Oswald

I don't think that would work because Disney wants to change Splash Mountain. It's obvious that Splash has a lot of fans who don't want to see it changed, but Disney wants to change it. It also appears Disney is looking for a theme that would be more inclusive and diverse, so a Pooh theme is highly unlikely.
How is Pooh exclusive?

Just come out and say the reason instead of beating around the bush with vague terms that don’t really make sense.

They don’t have any rides with black human protagonists. And that’s a problem. It really is. But all of these terms added make it seem really fake and disingenuous. The lack of representation in characters is a company wide or a resort wide problem. Not a Splash Mountain specific problem.

And if you knew anything about Brer Rabbit, you’d realize that this isn’t necessarily adding to the representation. It’s swapping a spade for a spade. The only major difference is that this protagonist is a human instead of a rabbit. But I rest my case.

JohnD

Please do explain how Winnie the Pooh is exclusive?

Christopher Robin is a white anglo saxon Protestant boy from London. Definitely no inclusivity here. Pooh and company are his imagination. (Don't shoot the messenger. You wanted an explanation. This is it.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom