New Haunted Mansion Spiel

MissM

I was just going to say the same exact thing!! (lol).

I've been going for over 25 years and I've never hear the "blood red carpet" either. But "Drag your wrethched bodies to the dead center of the room." All the time :wave:
Yup, same here.

imagineer boy

That's probably the next thing to be changed. :shrug:

Ah, just imagine:

"Of course, there's always my way..."

*door opens*

"Aha! There it is. I usually don't tell visitors about that door over there, but I usually take it when I'm in a hurry. Now, out you go... Now aren't you glad I was here to tell you how to get out?"

JCorduroy

The changes in the JHM article aren't that ridiculous and at least stick with the theme...I mean, they could change it to "Mickey's Fairly Frightening House of Humor" and we could be forced to deal with that instead. :)

Elonwy

I have heard both the wretched bodies line and the blood red line but seriously, are these too controversial for a haunted house now...trying to be overly politically correct are we??? :shrug::confused:

Next time I visit they'll probably ask to:

"Please move your slightly less than joyful person toward the centre of the room and to stay off the crimson coloured, reminiscent of life suppling, nutrient providing carpet unless of course you don't feel comfortable doing that in which case we'll examine how your mother treated you in childhood and then permit you to continue the ride should we feel that your emotional state will not be compromised." :veryconfu

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Oddly enough, I kind of like the change (assuming it actually happens). It makes more sense for the dark humor to be more of an innuendo as opposed to just saying "hey, we're rude and evil." It keeps the theme of us being guests in the manor, instead of intruders.

PinMadness

Oddly enough, I kind of like the change (assuming it actually happens). It makes more sense for the dark humor to be more of an innuendo as opposed to just saying "hey, we're rude and evil." It keeps the theme of us being guests in the manor, instead of intruders.

Agreed. I am a huge HM fan and I think the changes are kind of neat.

T-1MILLION

There are two sides to this argument - For starters I can't stand the PC police. In most situations they complain about things that they can simply avoid (tv shows for example). However, with Disney it is expected that things be family friendly. The problem is, this shouldn't offend people, and a line needs to be officially drawn as to what is offensive and what isn't. I feel that when the PC police are given an inch, they'll take a lot more than that. Any mention of death in the ride could also illicit complaints. I don't see anything wrong with the changes that were made, but I fear the reasons behind these changes.

Well said. I really don't see how Wretched bodies could actually offend anyone who knows that they are in a theme park and wordplay/bad puns are just going to be involved with the theme. I can see them suggesting against some styles of being creepy by judging your audience with some common sense. Example, most of the crowd are adults, put a sinister tone on it more than you usually would. I know most kids get startled but most children get over that very quickly, and others don't that is just the way it is. Have things really gotten to the point where 30 years later using the bad pun line "Please drag your wretched Bodies to the dead center of the room" are too harsh and "grotesque" for people?

And Bunny, The bodies are wretched because they are just that...bodies. People die and the soul/life leaves, and the body just rots. So the bodies we live in would be worthless to ghosts.

disneydiva72

I haven't heard any spiel the last couple times we went. Probably because everyone is so loud and obnoxious. However, the last time we were there for the pirate and princess party I heard them cm repeatedly ask a 20-something man to get off the wall (about 10 times) and the man stayed on the wall mocking him. Unfortunately for us, he was on the DOOR part (which we knew because we go so often) and we were stuck in the room until he moved his wretched body. As the cm was passing us on our way through the door, after he walked right up to the guy and finally practically forced him to move, we heard him say under his breath, "Get off the wall because it's the door, stupid"
We laughed so hard, although he could have probably gotten in big trouble for it.
I don't know how you cm's put up with everything that you do...
Kudos to all of you!

:lol: LOVE IT! Sometimes, some people just really deserve it!

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Good grief.... leave the spiel!!!! I've always wanted to be the one saying, "Please drag your wretched bodies into the DEAD center of the room...."

polarboi

Why would the bodies be wretched at that point anyway?
The guests are still living and so is the person saying it.

There must be a better spooky phrase to use in jest that fits the situation.

Agreed. Even assuming Jim Hill is right about the new requirements, why would everyone assume that they have anything to do with political correctness? The "new spiel," as Jim Hill describes it, is just as dark as "wretched bodies," so it doesn't sound at all like Disney trying to make it more family-friendly.

What it does sound like, however, is that the Imagineers want to preserve the eerie, macabre humor the mansion is known for. The tone of so much of the attraction, such as the Ghost Host's demeanor and the paintings in the stretch room, is that things seem friendly on the surface but there's something unsettling lurking underneath. Maids and butlers who appear to be polite while using double-entendre to suggest death and foreboding are way more in tune with that than the bluntly obvious "wretched bodies" line that seems to have developed from cast members along the way.

I'm not saying JH's reporting is entirely accurate. I'm just saying that even if he's right, it sounds a lot more like sticking to the theme and not at all about political correctness run amok.

-p.b. :cool:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom