News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Ladybat

At this point, they have done physical testing on the lines with special test gondolas - although real gondolas are nowhere to be seen (except for the "show" gondolas they have used at public exhibits)...BUT...they aren't going to open just because the ride is built -- they have to also have at least a modicum of construction completed around the Riviera and other areas before they can open anything. That is all still a HUGE sandy muddy mess back there.

Oh well at least Old Port Royal is completed and open. I'm excited about that.

Ladybat

There will probably be a jump ramp for the ECV. They will get the ECV going as fast as they can hit the ramp and go airborne into the gondola. They will hope to go through the opening. Kind of like skate boarding. Should be something to see! LOL!!!

The ECV? Whats that?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
At this point, they have done physical testing on the lines with special test gondolas - although real gondolas are nowhere to be seen (except for the "show" gondolas they have used at public exhibits)...BUT...they aren't going to open just because the ride is built -- they have to also have at least a modicum of construction completed around the Riviera and other areas before they can open anything. That is all still a HUGE sandy muddy mess back there.

They may choose not to open with Riviera in an incomplete state, but there is nothing about the construction that should actually prevent it from opening. The area around the station could be easily finished off in a few weeks.

Goofyernmost

Oh vey is not an expression; it's oy veh, or oy vey phonetically.
Oy vey, vhat a mashugana that goy was.
Yes it seems we are likely to miss it. It would be nice to be able to ride it while we are there. Its those rumors like "quite a bit earlier" that keep my hopes up about it.
There are at least 12000 posts on this thread that would say that you must have a death wish. You, and apparently, three others, including myself, cannot wait to ride them.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Oy vey, vhat a mashugana that goy was.

There are at least 12000 posts on this thread that would say that you must have a death wish. You, and apparently, three others, including myself, cannot wait to ride them.
Not the same thing at all, but Hubby and I just rode a Dopplemayr chair lift up the Smoky Mountains this weekend, and I was blown away how smooth and quiet the whole up and down trip was.

I too, cannot wait to ride the gondolas.

Ladybat

>>>There are at least 12000 posts on this thread that would say that you must have a death wish. You, and apparently, three others, including myself, cannot wait to ride them.<<<Goofyernmost

Can't be worse than riding Space Mt., or that horrible mission to mars or what ever its called in Epcot, Rockin Roller coaster, or even the old sky way system that ran from tomorrow land to fantasy land which was a lot more primitive version of these Gondolas. I doubt it will be something I'll have to ride as if it were a not to be missed attraction or any thing like that but I have to ride it at least one time in my life just so I can see what all the fuss is about.;)

I won't get to though if its not ready by June 8th to the 16th.

At my age no telling if I make it back before I die. Or before I just can't do all that dedicated park touring any more.

I went to Disney land in 1960
Back to Disney land in 1967
Disney World in 1975
Disney World 1984
Disney World 1993 (the absolute best trip of them all!)
Disney world 2012 (heart broken over how EPCOT was changed and no more Spectro Magic in the MK)
And now, if nothing bad happens before, June of 2019 with my grown daughters and 3 grandsons.

I can't wait to see Pandora!

kurtk

>>>There are at least 12000 posts on this thread that would say that you must have a death wish. You, and apparently, three others, including myself, cannot wait to ride them.<<<Goofyernmost

Can't be worse than riding Space Mt., or that horrible mission to mars or what ever its called in Epcot, Rockin Roller coaster, or even the old sky way system that ran from tomorrow land to fantasy land which was a lot more primitive version of these Gondolas. I doubt it will be something I'll have to ride as if it were a not to be missed attraction or any thing like that but I have to ride it at least one time in my life just so I can see what all the fuss is about.;)

At my age no telling if I make it back before I die. Or before I just can't do all that dedicated park touring any more.

Disney World in 1975
Disney World 1984
Disney world 2012 (heart broken over how EPCOT was changed and no more Spectro Magic in the MK)
And now, if nothing bad happens before, June of 2019 with my grown daughters and 3 grandsons.

I truly hope your summer vacation this year. And remember WDW is what you make it. If you enjoy the moment it will be great, if you complain about the cost, crowd, past, etc... it won't be as much fun.

My first time was 1973 at 10 years old. I have enjoyed the many times since with my 4 kids.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
OR.... the money the resorts have been paying for bus transportation will now go to gondola transportation. And Riviera will also be kicking in some more money.

Prices for these resorts all the way to Dec 31, 2019 have not risen higher than the usual increase in all resorts. At least, not yet. People, including myself, are already booking these rooms at the current price. If WDW was going to raise these resorts' prices significantly because of the gondola, they're pretty much missing their window of opportunity for this year.
I’m not expecting to see a sudden increase in rack rates. I don’t think Disney wants to see headlines like “Disney bumps resort rates 15% with opening of new skyliner”. I’m sure they want to market it as a free part of the experience. If they do bump rates up it will probably be more gradual and happen in the next few years. I did see that they are running all of the rack rate discounts and free dining through 9/30 this year and not later into the fall, but I suspect that’s much more SW related than gondola but who knows.

Goofyernmost

Disney World in 1975
Disney World 1984

I understand and was just having some fun with you about the incredible amount of concern about gondola's and there reliability and safety. People acting as if Gondola's were just invented and are not a tried and true vehicle. It is sad really, how, scared everyone is about everything these days. There is a phobia for every occasion and those people are not allowing themselves to enjoy anything that they don't understand.

I also am concerned about whether or not I will ever be able to go again. I have an account that already has enough money in it for a three day admission to WDW, but, I also have a back issue that prevents me from walking more then about an 1/8 of a mile before I have to sit again. I sure as hell, don't want to be "judged" by those busy bodies that condemn the use of mobility scooters, but, I'm over 70 now and things have a way of not healing like they used too. Here's hoping the both you and I will be able to visit at least one more time before we are totally unable to do so. For me it's the Gondola's that I would love to experience. I'm not a Star Wars fan, but, if I can, I would like to see and experience the new stuff, but, that is probably at least 3 years out before it calms down enough to be able to actually see it.

Ladybat

>>>I truly hope your summer vacation this year. And remember WDW is what you make it. If you enjoy the moment it will be great, if you complain about the cost, crowd, past, etc... it won't be as much fun.<<<

Well my grand kids will be seeing it all for the first time so they have nothing to compare it to. So though I'll be missing the once magnificent Journey Into Imagination compared to the current chopped to pieces one and having to endure "test track" barf barf in place of the all powerful Horizons and what ever took the place of the wonderful ORIGINAL version of Universe of Energy I'll be suffering those nostalgic memories in silence for the sake of my grand children. At least world show case is still in its former glory and thank God they have not ruined Space Ship Earth yet or The Land (even though last time I was there parts of The Land ride was looking a bit dingy as was the Monorail). I'm sure my grand sons will all LOVE Test Track though.

That was still when the nation was reeling from a recession though so I'm hoping to see some improvements this time.

Complaining about the cost--- Heck yea its way to expensive but like all the millions of other folks out there that complain and complain about the cost but know darn well there is no theme park any where on earth better....

Disney once again is going to get a giant chunk of my change.

But hey!... they gave me 25 percent off two Pirate rooms at the Caribbean Beach. Off each room! I was amazed. All because I wrote an angry email saying....

"Hey! YO! MR MOUSE! Momma's not feel'n the magic here! I know your parks are the best in the world but tell me why I should pay all this money for rooms at your on site hotels when I can stay at a much nicer one not a mile from you? All I wanted was a little discount for my daughter being a Florida resident. I know I can't have one on both rooms because I'm coming from California but she lives there and your cast members have given me nothing but the run around about it and if they had not told me to begin with I'd get that discount I would not have told my poor husband who is paying for us to go there that, "Yay Dear Disney says they will give you a discount for Raven being a Florida Resident!" so now he wants to know how much discount and now I have to tell him you all are giving me the run around and I'm sure not looking forward to that conversation so I've a mind to cancel the whole thing!"

This was because my daughter lives in Florida and I was told when I booked the reservations that we would get a Florida discount on the rooms because she is allowed up to 3 rooms on her Fl discount the CM told me. Well that was wrong information but that CM said I should call back after Oct and they would tell me how much of a discount. I did in Oct and they said call back in Nov because they still don't know then in Nov they said call back in Dec until finally the last CM said there is no Florida Discounts on Rooms only on park passes.

Thats when I decided to email Mr. Mouse and have a little talk with him.

Next morning bright and early a CM is calling me. I was surprised because I never expected to hear back from them because its not like Disney is going to be hurting if I cancel my booking. Even though its for two rooms its still not like they will even miss us or any thing but they were so nice and completely redid my whole reservation giving me that discount. It took a big chunk off the original price! And on top of that she gave me her personal ext number and name and said if I have even the tiniest problem call her directly. They called it a "bounce back discount" . It bounced back the discount to my credit card because I had already been making payments on the package.

I swear its like having my own personal concerige (sp?) service. They have been fantastic to me on the phone. I call them a lot and ask all sorts of questions and they are so nice and helpful. And I can be quite talkative but they never act like it bothers them at all.

She said is there any thing else that I don't like maybe she could help. I said well yea there is....

Why the heck do I have to pay a parking fee for my daughter to park her car at the CBR when we are paying to stay there?

If I stayed off property I bet that hotel would not charge me a parking fee. For an 8 night stay! And don't tell me the off sites don't provide transportation all over WDW because no offense dear but MULES WOULD BE A FASTER WAY of getting around than Disney buses. Thats why we are using my daughter's car.

She noted on my file not to charge me for that either. Which they really should not do in earnest any way because they had not started the parking fee charge thing till AFTER I made the reservations.

All I was expecting was one of the rooms, the one my Florida resident daughter is staying in would get a 10 or 15% discount for her being a resident. I never expected I would end up getting the huge discount I did. But they had me say clearly that I understand that this is a ONE TIME DEAL. Not to expect it again. (grin)

You know, sometimes it pays to be a little aggressive. Not hateful or nasty....

Just a little bit bothersome. Explain things to Mr Mouse in a way he can understand.

(sigh) any way... went way off topic again didn't I?

Sorry. I'm bad about that.:rolleyes:

Ladybat

I understand and was just having some fun with you about the incredible amount of concern about gondola's and there reliability and safety. People acting as if Gondola's were just invented and are not a tried and true vehicle. It is sad really, how, scared everyone is about everything these days. There is a phobia for every occasion and those people are not allowing themselves to enjoy anything that they don't understand.

I also am concerned about whether or not I will ever be able to go again. I have an account that already has enough money in it for a three day admission to WDW, but, I also have a back issue that prevents me from walking more then about an 1/8 of a mile before I have to sit again. I sure as hell, don't want to be "judged" by those busy bodies that condemn the use of mobility scooters, but, I'm over 70 now and things have a way of not healing like they used too. Here's hoping the both you and I will be able to visit at least one more time before we are totally unable to do so. For me it's the Gondola's that I would love to experience. I'm not a Star Wars fan, but, if I can, I would like to see and experience the new stuff, but, that is probably at least 3 years out before it calms down enough to be able to actually see it.

I totally relate to the back issues. And some of those rides can be murder. But next time you go remember this... Its the cold that is the worst thing for your back. Especially when you get wet from the rain then go in the attractions and they have the air blasting on your soaking wet body!

That right there will cause your back to hurt so bad you'll swear you'll never go to Disney again.

I read a lot of things about back pain and that is one of the biggest things. Getting chilled badly. Especially if you already have back problems. Try your best to avoid getting chilled real fast to the point of shivering.

When we went in 2012 it rained every day we were there. The last day totally rained out the park and every one left the parks in the afternoon. I swear it was not a regular Florida rain but a monsoon. Started early in the morning and did not let up till that night. Pouring down hard.

I rode that horrible Epcot ride. Mission to mars or what ever its called. The one where you experience 0 gravity for a few seconds. NEVER AGAIN!

I swear that evil demon thing hurt me then in World Show Case we went to the American Adventure and I was soaking wet freezing to death and the air in that building felt like it was below 0.

By the time I got home the next day I could hardly even stand.

BUT! This time I plan on working out months before I go to get in shape. And taking my back braise and tons of turmeric supplements and rain ponchos. I will NOT get drenched like that ever again. Nor will I let my back feel the slightest bit of cold. So I'm ready!

And to all those folks who make you feel bad because you need a scooter.....

They better think about Karma and how she works..... else one day many years down the road..... they'll be scooting around on one themselves.

Ripken10

I totally relate to the back issues. And some of those rides can be murder. But next time you go remember this... Its the cold that is the worst thing for your back. Especially when you get wet from the rain then go in the attractions and they have the air blasting on your soaking wet body!

That right there will cause your back to hurt so bad you'll swear you'll never go to Disney again.

I read a lot of things about back pain and that is one of the biggest things. Getting chilled badly. Especially if you already have back problems. Try your best to avoid getting chilled real fast to the point of shivering.

When we went in 2012 it rained every day we were there. The last day totally rained out the park and every one left the parks in the afternoon. I swear it was not a regular Florida rain but a monsoon. Started early in the morning and did not let up till that night. Pouring down hard.

I rode that horrible Epcot ride. Mission to mars or what ever its called. The one where you experience 0 gravity for a few seconds. NEVER AGAIN!

I swear that evil demon thing hurt me then in World Show Case we went to the American Adventure and I was soaking wet freezing to death and the air in that building felt like it was below 0.

By the time I got home the next day I could hardly even stand.

BUT! This time I plan on working out months before I go to get in shape. And taking my back braise and tons of turmeric supplements and rain ponchos. I will NOT get drenched like that ever again. Nor will I let my back feel the slightest bit of cold. So I'm ready!

And to all those folks who make you feel bad because you need a scooter.....

They better think about Karma and how she works..... else one day many years down the road..... they'll be scooting around on one themselves.
And what did any of that have to do with the Gondolas?!?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom