News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Resort TV 1 was doing a live stream and Dopplemayr employee got in. He asked him if they were expanding it and he indicated yes it was planned, but yet to be announced.

That should almost be expected. When you build a transportation system, you generally build open enough to be expanded. I wouldn't be surprised if when Disney had their initial talks with Dopplemayr, they worked with Dopplemayr to at least draft out a resort wide gondola system, then broke it down into smaller sections/phases to determine where the best section would be to test. It wouldn't surprise me if they already have drafts as to where the next phase (or two or three) will go... the real question is how far along those plans are (there's a long way between planned and green lit and built).

cosmicgirl

PopArt had no line 10 minutes ago, had a cabin to myself. CBR is busy at the moment. There's roughly a 7-minute wait to transfer to Epcot. Here they just put me with a party of 5. Bring on the "Eww! Strangers!" comments.

And it's breezy alright.
IMG_20190929_143925.jpg

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Ravenclaw78

Why would we expect huge lines? Except for when it stops, it’s a people eating monster.
People eating monster?! It appears in addition to boiling heat, freezing cold, and Olympic-jumping alligators, we have discovered yet another hazard of these stratospheric death carriages.
That's OK, it only eats purple people. ;)

peter11435

The Skyliner can handle up to 3,000 per hour at just one line in one direction (2,400 pph practically).

Just how many bloggers do you think there are?
I said bloggers AND guests/locals just checking it out. The majority of guests utilizing the system today are not staying at the serviced resorts. They are riding because it’s the first day of something new. That’s why the first station to get a long line today was DHS.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Ok I survived.
Took ~45 minutes from entering the queue at IG with a 10 minute stoppage to get from Epcot to DHS.

What I liked:
  • Queue moved quickly when the system was not stopped.
  • It’s 90 degrees out right now and when the breeze is blowing into the direction of the vents the cabs are extremely comfortable.
  • Very quiet and smooth operation.
What I didn’t like:
  • This is a surprising one and a very big one for me and it was Very poor directional signage. At Epcot there is no signage distinguishing the handicapped entrance versus regular entrance. At CBR it is very confusing to figure out where to go, especially when busy.
  • We were stopped for 10 minutes and it got hot in the cab. They do a good job in the stations with fans directed into the cabs, but out on the line if you’re in direct sun it will become uncomfortable quick.
  • The wind must line up with the directions of the cab to get airflow. Our trip to DHS had the wind blowing perpendicular to the cab and we got very little ventilation.
  • This one I’ll chalk up to growing pains, but there are frequent stoppages. While waiting at Epcot and CBR the line stopped multiple times.
  • Transfers. To get to/from DHS unless you are entering at the CBR you have to transfer. If there is a line for either at peak times it becomes unpleasant.
  • Posted wait time. I think having this information posted or on MDE would be great.

jrhwdw

So Does WDW have a plan if IG breaks down after ROE/EF and people already exited Epcot??????

We won't have a good idea on crowd levels till maybe Weds or Thurs since Today's Opening Day, Tomorrow's ROE's Finale and Tues' first EF.

Snow Queen

• This is a surprising one and a very big one for me and it was Very poor directional signage. At Epcot there is no signage distinguishing the handicapped entrance versus regular entrance. At CBR it is very confusing to figure out where to go, especially when busy.
It's not bad signage, it's immersive. They want guests to discover their gondola journeys for themselves rather than holding their hand.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Some random thought after riding from EC to Studios this afternoon.
  • Long lines at both ends of Epcot leg as folks are riding round trip just to try it out on the first day.
  • The leg to DHS was all but a walk on when I arrived at hub station.
  • At that same time the line to head back to Epcot was extremely long.
  • Lines move very quickly as long as the rope is moving.
  • Outdoor temperature is 90 today and at no time did I feel overheated in the Gondola.
  • The airflow is understandably different based on wind direction but comfortable the entire time.
  • Extremely smooth the whole leg. The seemingly dramatic speed change on station arrival is much less noticeable onboard.
  • They are boarding Caribbean guests at Riviera station
  • In Galaxy’s Edge right now and I’ll update after return experience soon
5:15 update
  • Currently at Caribbean station.
  • Boarding at DHS was pretty quick, maybe 8 minutes
  • Really good airflow on DHS-CB leg.
  • Epcot line is still majorly backed up as that route seems to be the one for first day out and back run. 12 minutes in EC line so far. Based on pace of line it feels like maybe 5 min more
  • Family in front of me bailed to go for a bus instead. They chose poorly in my mind
  • CB-EC line seems to have a lot of short stops but it’s not clear why.
  • Lots of really large ceiling fans creating good circulation in CBR station.
6:00 update.
  • Boarding process moves crazy fast when the line is moving
  • They are not packing the cars to the full posted capacity of 10 guests. Most seem to be going with 6-8 depending on the size of groups together in line
  • I don’t expect the signage issue at CB station to be an actual issue. There is signage there but the crazy opening day loads are clogging up the station today so there is a lot more confusion than I expect you’ll see going forward
  • Air circulation on CB-EC leg varied based on segment. Coming out of CB station was mild circulation but after the Rivera station it was quite robust
  • One brief stop just as we approached Boardwalk turn station. No big deal at all; less than one minute
  • I’ve had 2 different people tell me that the heavy number of short stops on EC leg are controlled part of testing, not anything going wrong
All in all I found it a very pleasant, quiet and peaceful experience. It’s in the mid 90’s today and heat in the cars was never an issue. My personal experience actually riding it was nothing like what the doom and gloomers told me it would be. I definitely prefer it over the bus or walking between Epcot and Studios.

Last edited:

cosmicgirl

Looking at the still pictures I saw a lot of folks in line taking a step not standing still. Tells me the line is moving very consistently.
It does move quickly. When I transferred to Epcot that line was all the way next to the DHS line and back. It took about 7 minutes to board

That said, I do agree with @monothingie that signage could have been better (at least at CBR). I've been following construction from the start so knew where to go, yet when CBR was busy I had to ask which line to go in because it wasn't clear where the distinction between the accessible, the main Epcot line, and the DHS line was.

Did you guys get on-board announcements? My rides had none.

Oh, and during a brief hold at Riviera (1-2 minutes) my fellow passengers were already complaining about the heat, even though it was much cooler there in the shade than anywhere outside in the sun. I think some people just like to complain even when there's no reason to.

KC00

Waiting in line to board the Epcot line at the CBR station and it is really disorganized and confusing. Took a minute or two to figure out which line was the Epcot line because it is just sort of a dump of people in the middle of the station when you get off the DHS line. I am sure it is unusually busy because it is the first day but there seems to be a pretty limited CM presence at the station offering direction. It’s not a huge deal but I’ve seen some frustrated folks who waited in the wrong line or who aren’t sure where to go with wheelchairs, etc.

Got in line at DHS at 4:17. Will update when I get to Epcot with total travel time. The line stopped completely twice while I was in line at DHS and once while I was on board. Epcot line is currently stopped.

FWIW, I am terrified of dangling at a height (would rather ride TOT than Dumbo) and had not planned to ride but decided I would never have the chance to ride something on its opening day again so I might as well go for it. I would not say I enjoyed the experience but it was not AS scary as I feared. 🤣

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom