News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Goofyernmost

I wonder what the longest the ride will be between any load/unload station, if me and the wife are alone in a gondola...maybe we will have time to join the skyliner high club ; ]
If you can, I wouldn't actually brag about it. I think it's about 5 to 6 minutes. Talk about quickies.

joelkfla

When I spend a few winters running a lift, that was one thing we would get chewed out for. Then again, my lift was rather antique by today's standards.
Sounds like you were running a fixed grip lift, not a detachable one. As others have said, on a detachable grip lift, the carriers are off the cable and rolling on a track well before the bullwheel.

tomast

The weather downtime issue has been re-evaluated. There’s a possibility of a bare bones bus service to take up some of the slack given the realisation (!) the system will probably close down for several hours a day in the summer. Not the most elegant solution but better than nothing.
SETTING:
DIS C-Suite

RANDOM SUIT: Sir, we are getting our test reports back on the Skyliner and they aren't looking too hot.

BOB IGER: Skyliner?

RANDOM SUIT: Ah yes, sir, it's the new gondola system at Walt Disney World.

BOB IGER: Ok.

RANDOM SUIT: Well, you see, sir. The gondolas are getting a bit more hot and humid in the cabin then the initial models predicted. The tests really seem to suggest it could be quite uncomfortable for guests in the heat of July and August.

BOB IGER: It's not excessively uncomfortable, is it?

RANDOM SUIT: Um, uh, um, well, no. No sir, it's definitely not excessive.

BOB IGER: Carry on.

END SCENE.

It's more:
RANDOM SUIT: Well, you see, sir. The gondolas are getting a bit more hot and humid in the cabin then the initial models predicted. The tests really seem to suggest it could be quite uncomfortable for guests in the heat of July and August.

BOB IGER: Did anyone die?

RANDOM SUIT: Well, no but-

BOB IGER: Carry on.
:p

Bob Iger: Just give those wallet carriers.. I mean guests some security flyer... Guests really love security flyers...

Goofyernmost

I think the longest leg is CBR/Riviera to EPCOT...with the turn station, its about 7 minutes based on distance, 11 MPH and a slower speed for the station turn.

That's at least six minutes of cuddle time...
I'm not sure with a cabin temperature in the mid-three hundreds that I would want to cuddle all that much. Even if one could stretch out that carnal thing to a whole minute. 🥵😓🥴

ThistleMae

I guess the bigger question is.. how many of them will go at full capacity? Or, does it really matter? At ski mountains, they typically require that every seat be filled. That means in the gondolas, a family of 9 could have 1 straggler. Usually not an issue for me because I like to talk to anyone, It is only an issue when I realize that the one straggler just finished a cigarette. Then again, maybe it isn't an issue if the window slats are open.
I think they would do what they do on the rides, ask how many in your party, then ask for the number they need to fill the gondola from the folks behind you.

ThistleMae

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

So the gondolas will be as reliable as the now defunct express bus transportation because of lightning??

Is this what other locations around the world do with their systems when there’s the infamous-and-incredibly-frequent-in-the-summer “lightning in the area”??
Oh, did they discontinue the express bus? I remember reading about it but never got to experience it.

MickeyMinnieMom

Oh, did they discontinue the express bus? I remember reading about it but never got to experience it.
Yes. A long time ago. Some raved about it, but it was a joke in the summer. We paid for it and were able to use it once. The other times it shut down for “lighting in the area” just when we needed it to park hop. Had to pay for Uber once to get to an ADR on time after waiting for the express bus and being told after 15min that they were shutting down. Didn’t have time to get there with regular bus transport. Just a train wreck from our perspective. So if this thing is as unreliable as that in the summer, I’m out. Not worth it.

ThistleMae

Yes. A long time ago. Some raved about it, but it was a joke in the summer. We paid for it and were able to use it once. The other times it shut down for “lighting in the area” just when we needed it to park hop. Had to pay for Uber once to get to an ADR on time after waiting for the express bus and being told after 15min that they were shutting down. Didn’t have time to get there with regular bus transport. Just a train wreck from our perspective. So if this thing is as unreliable as that in the summer, I’m out. Not worth it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom